Politics

miamiwhite

• Moderators

He will need it.

Why do you just casually trot out this stuff

You don't know the first thing about his costs in France

Let's start with property

Show me the evidence he can't live cheaper in france

I had a good friend that lived and worked in Paris for about 3 years, during the week in work they and went back to London at the weekend to his apartment in Putney overlooking the river, he could do all that and still make more then he could in London

Thinly veiled - I've got a mate who's an onion salesman post..... ;-)

Why do you just casually trot out this stuff

You don't know the first thing about his costs in France

Let's start with property

Show me the evidence he can't live cheaper in france

Not sure where this lads moving too so took worst case scenario which is Paris think sweep lives Northampton area (could be wrong)

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=France&country2=United+Kingdom&city1=Paris&city2=Northampton

Edited by Mounts Kipper

Not sure where this lads moving too so took worst case scenario which is Paris think sweep lives Northampton area (could be wrong)

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=France&country2=United+Kingdom&city1=Paris&city2=Northampton

I live in Bedfordshire. Our company is based in Yarmouth (where I'm off to now)...the chap in question currently lives in Norwich. I believe the new job is near or in Toulouse. I'd be surprised if he ends up much worse off financially.

I live in Bedfordshire. Our company is based in Yarmouth (where I'm off to now)...the chap in question currently lives in Norwich. I believe the new job is near or in Toulouse. I'd be surprised if he ends up much worse off financially.

And he gets to live in Toulouse, which (i) isn't Norwich and (ii) isn't near you.

He's onto a winner.

Let's hope someone English benefits. Good luck to him in France he'll love the tax bill on his salary and the expensive cost of living.

English or British ?

If the outcome of Brexit is skilled workers leaving surely even you with your blinkers on can see that is not a good thing ?

Sweep says he will hard to replace but at least we are in control of our destiny. Once we have finished negotiating with Johnny Foreigner.

I have not followed the news this week are we going for freedom of movement or not ?

English or British ?

If the outcome of Brexit is skilled workers leaving surely even you with your blinkers on can see that is not a good thing ?

Sweep says he will hard to replace but at least we are in control of our destiny. Once we have finished negotiating with Johnny Foreigner.

I have not followed the news this week are we going for freedom of movement or not ?

English first British second and everywhere else 3rd. Not too fussed if skilled folk leaving we might be encouraged in training more folk up and we're still one of the best places for skilled folk to come too from wherever in the world they currently live. Sweep be interesting to hear how this pans out and who and from where the replacement comes from. Finally Ani I ain't blinkered just don't buy into the anything negative anti Brexit agenda which seems to continually rear its ugly head. Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter

Yep. Can't speak for sweep's situation, but I'd be interested to know how many companies have utilised the situation, and not bothered with in house training for youngsters, apprenticeships etc.

Moreover, no one is saying the likes of sweep's chap won't be able to come at all, might just be a little more difficult.

English first British second and everywhere else 3rd. Not too fussed if skilled folk leaving we might be encouraged in training more folk up and we're still one of the best places for skilled folk to come too from wherever in the world they currently live. Sweep be interesting to hear how this pans out and who and from where the replacement comes from. Finally Ani I ain't blinkered just don't buy into the anything negative anti Brexit agenda which seems to continually rear its ugly head.

Yeah the blinkered comment not worded well so apologies for that.

. Sweep be interesting to hear how this pans out and who and from where the replacement comes from. 

I've been chatting with him this morning, he's actually quite emotional about it. I mentioned about higher tax rates and higher cost of living in France - he knows somebody already at the place that he is going to (which aided him getting through the door) anyway, whilst he will actually earn slightly less in France, and be taxed marginally higher than he is here, he reckons the cost of living is pretty similar, but his rent will be a lot less in France. He reckons all told, he will be around €50 per month better off, so not really much in it at all, but he certainly won't be any worse off at all  -  he also has the added bonus that he'll be able to drive "home" in around 4 hours which will be cheaper and quicker than flying back there 3 or 4 times per year.

As for replacing him, we're going to start advertising in the next few days, but our thoughts are that we'll probably look to get somebody in from Cambridge Uni, we've already got a few CVs in as we were looking to get a new engineer in anyway, due to workload. I've spoken to our Technical Director, and he's already stated that whilst we would like somebody form the UK, they would just take too long to train up to the level we need, as it's a skill set that's really missing here at the minute. All the Cambridge Graduates that we have CVs for, are all Chinese or Indian, so I think we'll have to sponsor them.

In the last 3 years, we've taken on 3 young apprentices for the engineering department, and none of them have lasted more than 6 months, so it's put us right off going down that route again

We are, also as an aside considering letting him work from home in Spain.....so this way, we get to keep him, but his wage disappears out of the country  -  I doubt we'll do this though in reality, as I'm not sure it can really work with his particular job function.

As for his girlfriend, it seems that she will earn pretty much the same amount of money as a vet in France as she does here - she's just completed her final year here, so we've helped with her training and now she is buggering off. Her worry is that by the time we leave the EU, she will only have been here for just over 3 years, so there is no guarantee she'll be allowed to stay. Both of them know that in reality, they would/could/should be allowed to stay, but they say they can't risk it, and they don't want to wait until people are being turfed out, and they are possibly forced to make a move, they would rather do it on their own terms. 

• Site Supporter

So he's relocating to Toulouse? Good job he's not off to Wales. He might relocate to Towyn.

Why from Cambridge? Fast track to missing out on the majority of the talent pool.

Most of the talent pool that we want to attract is actually currently in/around Cambridge  -  they may not actually be at Cambridge Uni. There are a load of start up and established electronics firms that offer internships, and it's them we actually want to appeal to  -  we just internally use "Cambridge Uni" as a catch all phrase for the graduates in and around Cambridge, they may actually be there from other Uni's or indeed, in a few cases from other countries

Also, if they're in Cambridge, then they probably don't have to relocate (or if they choose to, it's not too far)

Latest development is that our Technical Director is off to interview a couple of lads on Friday who are from India (1 at Cambridge Uni, the other on an internship from somewhere in India I've never heard of) both are working for at a major electronics design firm and are due to finish at the end of this month. Fingers crossed they're decent, as their CVs look good....but we'll see. We've never sponsored a foreign type before, so we need to look into that to see what it entails

I've been chatting with him this morning, he's actually quite emotional about it. I mentioned about higher tax rates and higher cost of living in France - he knows somebody already at the place that he is going to (which aided him getting through the door) anyway, whilst he will actually earn slightly less in France, and be taxed marginally higher than he is here, he reckons the cost of living is pretty similar, but his rent will be a lot less in France. He reckons all told, he will be around €50 per month better off, so not really much in it at all, but he certainly won't be any worse off at all - he also has the added bonus that he'll be able to drive "home" in around 4 hours which will be cheaper and quicker than flying back there 3 or 4 times per year.

As for replacing him, we're going to start advertising in the next few days, but our thoughts are that we'll probably look to get somebody in from Cambridge Uni, we've already got a few CVs in as we were looking to get a new engineer in anyway, due to workload. I've spoken to our Technical Director, and he's already stated that whilst we would like somebody form the UK, they would just take too long to train up to the level we need, as it's a skill set that's really missing here at the minute. All the Cambridge Graduates that we have CVs for, are all Chinese or Indian, so I think we'll have to sponsor them.

In the last 3 years, we've taken on 3 young apprentices for the engineering department, and none of them have lasted more than 6 months, so it's put us right off going down that route again

We are, also as an aside considering letting him work from home in Spain.....so this way, we get to keep him, but his wage disappears out of the country - I doubt we'll do this though in reality, as I'm not sure it can really work with his particular job function.

As for his girlfriend, it seems that she will earn pretty much the same amount of money as a vet in France as she does here - she's just completed her final year here, so we've helped with her training and now she is buggering off. Her worry is that by the time we leave the EU, she will only have been here for just over 3 years, so there is no guarantee she'll be allowed to stay. Both of them know that in reality, they would/could/should be allowed to stay, but they say they can't risk it, and they don't want to wait until people are being turfed out, and they are possibly forced to make a move, they would rather do it on their own terms.

Sad that he is worried that his girlfriend won't be able to stay in sure she would and I'm laying the blame directly at the door of barnier and the EU and you'll not be suprised to know I think there a set of cunts making it difficult in my opinion of something that should be simple. I'm also in no doubt remainers will think it's our fault.

Edited by Mounts Kipper

Sad that he is worried that his girlfriend won't be able to stay in sure she would and I'm laying the blame directly at the door of barnier and the EU and you'll not be suprised to know I think there a set of cunts making it difficult in my opinion of something that should be simple. I'm also in no doubt remainers will think it's our fault.

Out of interest, why is Barnier / the EU to blame for this?

The EU and our Government are equally to blame. It seems to me both sides are being fuckwits and trying to play hardball at the minute

There is too much posturing and lots of dicking around, I agree. But the Government were the ones who made the decision not to allow all those EU citizens currently in the U.K. to stay after we leave the EU. I don't see how the blame can lie directly with Barnier and be nothing to do with the Government, as was suggested elsewhere in this thread.