Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

14 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

I can see a united Ireland within the next 10 years

A united Ireland with an independent Scotland and a push for Welsh independence as well. 

Like I've been pilloried for before - Brexit has the potential to do more harm the the UK than any invading army has ever done. 

1 minute ago, kent_white said:

A united Ireland with an independent Scotland and a push for Welsh independence as well. 

Like I've been pilloried for before - Brexit has the potential to do more harm the the UK than any invading army has ever done. 

I mean I can see how you arrive at such conclusions, but I can’t see any of those happening 

Edited by boltondiver

2 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

I mean I can see how you arrive at such conclusions, but I can’t see any of those happening 

Well I can. As soon as Wales and Scotland realise they are considerably worse off post brexit the support for independence will grow. 

31 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

That misses the point

the EU want us in the CU, so as to keep making money out of us. And they want ensure that the UK has no advantage over them when we leave.

they feel that more concessions are in the air, so will just keep pushing back.

macron is a key player here, despite having a massive trade surplus with us.  A scorched earth strategy. Did it work for Napoleon?

They want us in the customs union for lots of reasons. It would be in our best interests to remain in it. But there we are.

Napoleon? This is the problem, you’re living a history rather than dealing with present politics.

People that actually had an understanding predicted all of this. They weren’t listened to and instead a mob of worthless popularist thickos swayed everything. Thickos that have spent two years bitching from the sidelines but haven’t managed to cobble together one sensible and credible plan to get us out of this mess.

Hang them as the disgusting traitors and cowards they are and move on. If only.....

1 minute ago, Farrelli said:

Well I can. As soon as Wales and Scotland realise they are considerably worse off post brexit the support for independence will grow. 

We’ll see 

there is no guarantee that they will be worse off, that is an assumption, but I can see how you jumped to that conclusion.

1 minute ago, bwfcfan5 said:

They want us in the customs union for lots of reasons. It would be in our best interests to remain in it. But there we are.

Napoleon? This is the problem, you’re living a history rather than dealing with present politics.

People that actually had an understanding predicted all of this. They weren’t listened to and instead a mob of worthless popularist thickos swayed everything. Thickos that have spent two years bitching from the sidelines but haven’t managed to cobble together one sensible and credible plan to get us out of this mess.

Hang them as the disgusting traitors and cowards they are and move on. If only.....

Me, living in history?

no, not me, mate

1 minute ago, boltondiver said:

We’ll see 

there is no guarantee that they will be worse off, that is an assumption, but I can see how you jumped to that conclusion.

Wales have been net beneficiaries from EU money. They will not get the same money when London is dishing it out.

4 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

Wales have been net beneficiaries from EU money. They will not get the same money when London is dishing it out.

Well, we’ll see

4 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Me, living in history?

no, not me, mate

You equated Macron to Napoleon. The truth is the EU have been pretty accommodating and made a lot of concessions to get here but we cannot get our shit together. Anyone who thinks the EU is being obstructive is living in cloud cuckoo land and swallowing up the nonsense printed in the Sun. We have fucked this up with a spectacular misread, lack of planning and a weak government.

The EU are desperate for a deal so we will still likely get one. But it’s going to be one of those that pleases nobody. And I’m betting first a longer transition period will be announced. We will still be in for a long time yet.

Just now, bwfcfan5 said:

You equated Macron to Napoleon. The truth is the EU have been pretty accommodating and made a lot of concessions to get here but we cannot get our shit together. Anyone who thinks the EU is being obstructive is living in cloud cuckoo land and swallowing up the nonsense printed in the Sun. We have fucked this up with a spectacular misread, lack of planning and a weak government.

The EU are desperate for a deal so we will still likely get one. But it’s going to be one of those that pleases nobody. And I’m betting first a longer transition period will be announced. We will still be in for a long time yet.

I may have referenced history, but I live in the present, looking to the future, as that’s where I intend to live my life

as for the rest of your supposition, there are some likely truths and some guesses, some of which might prove to be accurate,  some not.

10 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

How do you know that they will receive less?  And even if they do they now have a vote to express their opinions and determine government policy. Given that we receive back less from the EU than we pay in I think it therefore it is very possible they will receive more not less. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

On 05/09/2018 at 09:26, Farrelli said:

This is data from a House of Commons briefing paper on public transport spending by region 2012-2017.

London 5.5 billion

North West 1.1 billion

Wales 0.27 billion.

I don't have to guess what the re-distribution will look like, the evidence is already there.

BD. An earlier post of mine on public transport spending by the government over a five year period.  So you think this will change after brexit? Dream on.

2 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

BD. An earlier post of mine on public transport spending by the government over a five year period.  So you think this will change after brexit? Dream on.

Public transport? What's that got to do with Wales?!

However, transport is an interest of mine and I'm generally interested on how it can be improved, especially given the utter mess that TfGM seem to have got us in.

2 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Public transport? What's that got to do with Wales?!

However, transport is an interest of mine and I'm generally interested on how it can be improved, especially given the utter mess that TfGM seem to have got us in.

Relative spending of London compared to Wales. Yhat is the point.

Population is about three times that of Wales but they get about 25 times the budget. That will be how budgets operate post brexit in all kinds of sectors.

12 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

Relative spending of London compared to Wales. Yhat is the point.

Population is about three times that of Wales but they get about 25 times the budget. That will be how budgets operate post brexit in all kinds of sectors.

Well, let's how it pans out. I hope that the unselfish, far-sighted Welsh folks will benefit

8 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

I'm sure you do. large parts of the North of England will also do quite badly so you won't be left out.

Me?

So be it.

but, perhaps people and regions need to be weened off state handouts and could be better off without so much “investment”?

• Members
7 hours ago, Spider said:

Tough shit.

There's always winners and losers isn't there?

I'm only basing this on Mount's general approach to such things. He's taught me to be tough and have a spine.

So, tough shit.

I am flittering between being amused and flattered that I have been able to have such an effect :D

Thinking of producing a motivational DVD. 

• Members
5 hours ago, kent_white said:

Lay off the hallucinogens pal. Long term health complications if you continue.