Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

5 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

I think that the Tories will win if they pull off a Brexit coup and Corbyn, or similar loony, is in charge

Big ifs

There is no Brexit coup. Or do you mean replace May with a Brexiteer? I suspect the problem with that is it leaves everything in a mess. 

Labour similarly would walk a massive majority if they found a leader who believed in the EU in a pragmatic but clear manner. 

1 minute ago, bwfcfan5 said:

There is no Brexit coup. Or do you mean replace May with a Brexiteer? I suspect the problem with that is it leaves everything in a mess. 

Labour similarly would walk a massive majority if they found a leader who believed in the EU in a pragmatic but clear manner. 

I did say "big ifs". By brexit coup, I mean they pull off a success.

12 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

I did say "big ifs". By brexit coup, I mean they pull off a success.

There isn’t a success though. Because everyone sees success as something different. End of the day what they are proposing annoys Brexiteers and remainers.

Funnily enough what some Tory MPs were saying in the press...that annoying everyone seems to be May’s default position.

1 minute ago, bwfcfan5 said:

There isn’t a success though. Because everyone sees success as something different. End of the day what they are proposing annoys Brexiteers and remainers.

Funnily enough what some Tory MPs were saying in the press...that annoying everyone seems to be May’s default position.

OK

"Perceived as a success by enough people"

3 hours ago, Salford Trotter said:

Getting you to stick to your position is like nailing jelly to a wall. 

I’ve clearly stated my position on Brexit and with more clarity than anyone on this forum.

After we leave we will have flexibility to make our own decisions and make our own rules.

While your preferred position is for us to not have any control of our rules and future destiny and that is where we differ, for the life of me I can never understand where you are coming from and why you would not want  the UK to have have the power to control our own destiny and make our own decisions. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

1 hour ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Keir Starmer perhaps, let’s see that get past Momentum

9 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Yep, but I don’t think there is a possibility for that. Not sure that exists any more. 

I didn’t expect that you would!

did you ever? :)

1 minute ago, boltondiver said:

I didn’t expect that you would!

did you ever? :)

It was always a tough one but I think something efficient and without drama might have got some respect. But the mess it’s been has been so far away from that. It’s been a shambles, let’s not pretend otherwise. A shambles to get a deal that is far from the Brexit most Brexiteers were hoping for.

2 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

It was always a tough one but I think something efficient and without drama might have got some respect. But the mess it’s been has been so far away from that. It’s been a shambles, let’s not pretend otherwise. A shambles to get a deal that is far from the Brexit most Brexiteers were hoping for.

Sure

But, I think it’s best to judge it once it’s over, rather than a running commentary; which I think would be more prudent. Don’t you agree?

38 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I’ve clearly stated my position on Brexit and with more clarity than anyone on this forum.

After we leave we will have flexibility to make our own decisions and make our own rules.

While your preferred position is for us to not have any control of our rules and future destiny and that is where we differ, for the life of me I can never understand where you are coming from and why you would not want  the UK to have have the power to control our own destiny and make our own decisions. 

Granted you have been clear on the big picture but when it comes to the detail is where you continually shift your argument. As i said earlier, one minute you want to be free of a protectionist EU that has stifled EU growth for decades so that the UK can agree free trade deals across the world. Yet when you are pressed of how those deals would work in the real world you start to talk about trade deals that have tarrifs running through them to protect UK businesses. Are you now in favour of protectionism? 

5 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

Granted you have been clear on the big picture but when it comes to the detail is where you continually shift your argument. As i said earlier, one minute you want to be free of a protectionist EU that has stifled EU growth for decades so that the UK can agree free trade deals across the world. Yet when you are pressed of how those deals would work in the real world you start to talk about trade deals that have tarrifs running through them to protect UK businesses. Are you now in favour of protectionism? 

We might need some protectionism we might choose some tariff free trade and who knows how things will transpire across various sectors and products but the key fundamental is we are in control of our own decisions. 

59 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Sure

But, I think it’s best to judge it once it’s over, rather than a running commentary; which I think would be more prudent. Don’t you agree?

Not at all. You judge on the process:. Can’t judge the end result for a good 10 years time. Even then it depends whose criteria you use. Brexit voters said we’d be out quickly with no fuss, no expense and no economic harm. That’s the benchmark. 

19 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Not at all. You judge on the process:. Can’t judge the end result for a good 10 years time. Even then it depends whose criteria you use. Brexit voters said we’d be out quickly with no fuss, no expense and no economic harm. That’s the benchmark. 

So, despite your view of a flawed process, you clearly feel that there is the possibility  that enough people could judge it to be a success. What about by 2022?

• Members
16 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

For example China and the US  face lots of tariffs importing their goods into the EU if we set our tariffs lower than the EU do you think they might be interested in doing a deal? The EU is protectionist and 1 country can veto a deal, when we leave we are not part of a group of countries reliant on everyone agreeing a deal, this makes deals hard to do with the EU.  Therefore it’s very likely US and China will want a deal (we are 5/6 biggest world economy not Malta) and that it will be agreed much quicker than a deal between 27 countries. Can you wrap your head round that? 

The plantpot doesn't even realise I have him on ignore. Don't be presenting him with complex notions like that FFS.

• Members
13 hours ago, Spider said:

Allow me to step in with a real world example. 

The products we produce in the UK can be made in China for much less. At the moment, it isn’t worth the EU importing them because the tariffs make them more expensive.

if we do a free trade deal with china, thousands of British jobs are likely to go. In a heartbeat.

its tough shit, of course, but at least we’ll be able to get cheap tellies to watch daytime tv on.

Was it the Rolling Stones who sang "I met a ginger drama queen in Memphis"?

• Members
10 hours ago, kent_white said:

A little birdie told me now is a great time to get into the rug game - no more interference from Belgium means we can reclaim our rightful position as the world's rug kings. 

Is it safe to deduce that your interest in rugs is more than mere folly(cle)?

4 hours ago, bolty58 said:

The plantpot doesn't even realise I have him on ignore. Don't be presenting him with complex notions like that FFS.

Well done - you have just made yourself look a bit of a tit. I know very well that you have me on ignore and I regularly refer in my posts to the fact you have me on ignore (and that you won't be able to read my replies). It is in fact you who doesn't realise this. You plantpot.

If someone quotes this message, you may well see what I've written above. But I don't actually give a shiny shit if you do or not. Hard to believe, I know, but it's not all about Bolty the idiot abroad. 

9 hours ago, boltondiver said:

So, despite your view of a flawed process, you clearly feel that there is the possibility  that enough people could judge it to be a success. What about by 2022?

The exit agreement isn’t going to be great. And then we start negotiating a trade deal. Whatever happens it’s years before we can tell how bad it all is! What we can confidently say now is that the government have approached it squarely as an exercise in damage limitation. And not done very well at that either. 

Edited by bwfcfan5

18 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

The exit agreement isn’t going to be great. And then we start negotiating a trade deal. Whatever happens it’s years before we can tell how bad it all is! What we can confidently say now is that the government have approached it squarely as an exercise in damage limitation. And not done very well at that either. 

You could at least have a go at answering my question! :)

8 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

You could at least have a go at answering my question! :)

The answer to your question is I don't believe there is enough unity in the country for a large enough group to judge it as a success either way. Perception is important. And its widely regarded that the negotiations have been a shambles. Last week a Tory MP called the government and his own party a "shitshow". When they eventually do a deal people will be as split on it as they are on Brexit itself. The chance for a great uniting deal went by about 12 months ago. You aren't blocking that hole up now. 

18 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

The answer to your question is I don't believe there is enough unity in the country for a large enough group to judge it as a success either way. Perception is important. And its widely regarded that the negotiations have been a shambles. Last week a Tory MP called the government and his own party a "shitshow". When they eventually do a deal people will be as split on it as they are on Brexit itself. The chance for a great uniting deal went by about 12 months ago. You aren't blocking that hole up now. 

But that contradicts what you said previously!