Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

4 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

But that contradicts what you said previously! 

No it doesn't. It was always a tough task to unite a majority round a deal. But the protracted and cumbersome nature of it, means that the details have been examined and its hard to reconcile the detail against expectation. Already you have the Brexiteers within her own party calling the deal May is trying to do a "surrender" - going to be hard to pretend you've won a victory now - not even hard - I'd say impossible. And remainers in her own party are not enamored either. The idea that simply signing a deal would bring things together might have stood up for a while. But we're well past that point now.

The Tories IMHO have made a tactical error in not getting rid of May earlier and getting a Brexit leader in there. As much as I would have disliked that personally at leas they could have united around their core Brexit vote - because lets face it - more Tories are Brexiteers - and they may have built a stronger core and been seen by their supporters to have been "tough" in negotiations. As it stands both they and Labour are trying to sit on a fence that so few people straddle you may as well jump to one side or the other. But its too late for that now.  

21 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

No it doesn't. It was always a tough task to unite a majority round a deal. But the protracted and cumbersome nature of it, means that the details have been examined and its hard to reconcile the detail against expectation. Already you have the Brexiteers within her own party calling the deal May is trying to do a "surrender" - going to be hard to pretend you've won a victory now - not even hard - I'd say impossible. And remainers in her own party are not enamored either. The idea that simply signing a deal would bring things together might have stood up for a while. But we're well past that point now.

The Tories IMHO have made a tactical error in not getting rid of May earlier and getting a Brexit leader in there. As much as I would have disliked that personally at leas they could have united around their core Brexit vote - because lets face it - more Tories are Brexiteers - and they may have built a stronger core and been seen by their supporters to have been "tough" in negotiations. As it stands both they and Labour are trying to sit on a fence that so few people straddle you may as well jump to one side or the other. But its too late for that now.  

I think you and I got to an agreement that we will know whether Brexit was a success for the country by about 10 years, 2029.

My question was; could we have a more of a sense of it by 2022, the last time for the next election? If so, and more people feel it has been a success, and Labour still have fruitcakes leading the line, then we could have another Conservative government?

38 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

I think you and I got to an agreement that we will know whether Brexit was a success for the country by about 10 years, 2029.

My question was; could we have a more of a sense of it by 2022, the last time for the next election? If so, and more people feel it has been a success, and Labour still have fruitcakes leading the line, then we could have another Conservative government?

Its possible. Its equally possible that Corbyn wins a decent majority. I'd say neither scenarios are remotely likely however. 

Also I said by 2029 we'd know how bad it was.....you may call minimising damage and fall out a success - but many Brexiteers and all remainers wouldn't. So we'll still be polarised even in 10 years time!

2 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Its possible. Its equally possible that Corbyn wins a decent majority. I'd say neither scenarios are remotely likely however. 

Also I said by 2029 we'd know how bad it was.....you may call minimising damage and fall out a success - but many Brexiteers and all remainers wouldn't. So we'll still be polarised even in 10 years time!

I hope not, truly hope not.

• Members
15 hours ago, boltondiver said:

I hope not, truly hope not.

Things are coming to a head in a much wider arena than simply Brexit. By 2029, the boil may have burst (hopefully) and we may be back to sensibility again (i.e. less from either extreme and more from the silent majority).

52 minutes ago, Ani said:

Are we still confident that the stock market is vibrant and healthy ?

Just dropped below 7000, was 7800 a couple of months ago. 10% drop in investments and pensions all round.

Who knows, but I have just dropped some in

1 hour ago, Ani said:

Are we still confident that the stock market is vibrant and healthy ?

Just dropped below 7000, was 7800 a couple of months ago. 10% drop in investments and pensions all round.

The stock market has been overly high for several years now.

No doubt where the blame will be put, but the correction has much further to go.

38 minutes ago, MalcolmW said:

No doubt where the blame will be put, but the correction has much further to go.

what do you base that on ?

The debate was when will it break 8000 not will it drop below 7000. Anyone saying the uncertainty caused by the ongoing Brexit debate is not a major factor is lying.

Anyone saying it is the only factor is lying.

Anyone saying it will bounce back or drop miles further is speculating.

Edited by Ani

24 minutes ago, MalcolmW said:

There is some inflation in the market but make no mistake this fall is due in part to the jitters over Brexit. If we fall to the levels of 2016 there is indeed some further damage to be suffered maybe as much as 30% in total and a devastating hit to pension funds and savings. To quote Mounts, that's just "tough shit!" 

It seems that any good news about the economy or the stock market is met with ‘we haven’t left yet’ any bad news is ‘it’s all down to Brexit’

The FT was below 6000 3 months before the vote in 2016. 

Good financial institutions will react to the trends and could just as easily make money from a downward trend.

23 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

Similarly any good news is met with 'look how we will thrive on our own' whilst bad news is due to 'normal global fluctuations'.

Correct. In the case of the stock market though, markets are down all over the world for lots of reasons.

26 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

It seems that any good news about the economy or the stock market is met with ‘we haven’t left yet’ any bad news is ‘it’s all down to Brexit’

The FT was below 6000 3 months before the vote in 2016. 

Good financial institutions will react to the trends and could just as easily make money from a downward trend.

That doesn't change the fact that pension funds and savings are still being damaged because of the uncertainty. If you are within say 5 years of retiring you'll be concerned about the fluctuation in the markets if you are on a defined benefits pension scheme.  

Just now, Salford Trotter said:

That doesn't change the fact that pension funds and savings are still being damaged because of the uncertainty. If you are within say 5 years of retiring you'll be concerned about the fluctuation in the markets if you are on a defined benefits pension scheme.  

I used to run a share club back in the eighties and endured the crash of 87. We sold a lot as it hit and rebought a few months later. As I said, good financial institutions can make money from a falling market. If you look at the worldwide markets there are many other things concerning them than Brexit.

• Site Supporter

One of Brexits biggest cheer leaders, James Dyson, has decided to build his new electric car factory in Singapore. Sums it all up really. "People need to stop talking our country down" he says, whilst creating jobs for thousands of people on the other side of the planet.

23 minutes ago, Cheese said:

One of Brexits biggest cheer leaders, James Dyson, has decided to build his new electric car factory in Singapore. Sums it all up really. "People need to stop talking our country down" he says, whilst creating jobs for thousands of people on the other side of the planet.

He secured, and took, over £175M of government funding to develop the technology, now it's done, he's shifting it all to the Far East, but he has got form for that as he actually moved all his vacuum cleaner and hair-drier manufacturing offshore yonks ago anyway, making about 600 jobs redundant at that time

He did also chuck his toys out of the pram about 15 years ago, when he was campaigning for the UK to join the Euro, saying that British manufacturing would be decimated if we didn't join the Eurozone........clearly he got that one wrong

Although, in his defence, he does still have a massive R&D facility here in the UK though to be fair, which employs over 3000 people. 

Robert Peston

@peston

A shocked cabinet was today told no-deal Brexit may force government to own or operate lorry ferries, because freight through Dover and Channel Tunnel could fall 85% and we’d run out of vital goods, food and medicine.

Either the Tory government is playing the project fear game with their own cabinet or project fear was real. You decide. 

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Robert Peston

@peston

A shocked cabinet was today told no-deal Brexit may force government to own or operate lorry ferries, because freight through Dover and Channel Tunnel could fall 85% and we’d run out of vital goods, food and medicine.

Either the Tory government is playing the project fear game with their own cabinet or project fear was real. You decide. 

Reality is coming home to roost. Unfortunately, it's too late to do anything about it now. Brexiters will continue to bleat "This is what 17.4 million people voted for" when food prices sky rocket next year. And in a way, they're right. We are well and truly fucked. 

Edited by Cheese

11 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Reality is coming home to roost. Unfortunately, it's too late to do anything about it now. Brexiters will continue to bleat "This is what 17.4 million people voted for" when food prices sky rocket next year. And in a way, they're right. We are well and truly fucked. 

It is predicted that food prices will reduce, our Cheese