Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

• Site Supporter
38 minutes ago, ZiggyStardust said:

We altready have given people that first choice.

More knowledge will be gained each passing year. Should we chalk up a referendum, 1st june, every year for the foreseeable future ? Polls suggested Remain would win last time too.

Do you think that, based on 'expert' opinion, many of the 52% voted that way because they feel ignored. Do you think they would then vote the opposite way after being told 'You got it wrong, so we are ignoring your opinion, and having another vote'. A vote/remain refendum would see a higher leave win than last time. And for all the wrong reasons, because peopple would not be voting on the issue.

I get it, you want to remain. The world we live in says that boat has sailed, and we have two choices, go over the edge, or get a deal. Thats the reality. And whilst people continue ti push for 'Another Peoples vote', they cannot see that they are partially part of the problem. A very small part. But a part nontheless.

However ...

The best hope ironically for the remainers is for May to be toppled, as its unlikely anyone else could step in and re-negotitae. Which then leaves two options, stay or go. And it would be a toss up which way they chose, as both would be poitical suicide. 

Your logic on the democratic principal of a more specific/informed referendum is entirely wrong, but your conclusion is entirely correct. That boat has indeed sailed. Regardless of public opinion, we are leaving the EU on March 29th, and the way things stand it's an insane leap off the cliff edge, with no preparation WHATSOEVER. I still don't think people fully appreciate the seriousness of the consequences, and it's only 4 months away. 18/19 weeks until our lives change dramatically, almost overnight. I understand why it's hard to take that seriously, but it's the reality. 

No other civilised country on the planet has ever done something like this to itself. And it's all based on propaganda and outright lies, which are still being peddled as I post this, by people in positions of power, with influence and vested interests. 

I'm coming to the conclusion that we deserve it. We're a sick country. We were "the poor man of Europe" in the 1950's, and we haven't ever appreciated the extent of our recovery.

A significant portion of our society is obsessed with The Empire and WW2, even though none of them experienced either of those things - while the majority of countries have learned from it and moved with the times. That's why they were so easily swayed by the lies. It's extremely interesting, and historians will be fascinated by it in the next century.

Edited by Cheese

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, royal white said:

Cheese is right you know, there’s no strawberries here in the Cotswolds of all places! The end is nigh, break out the rations! 

If our membership of the EU has had such a massive influence on your life that you think we desperately need to get out of it, surely you'd admit that there will be dramatic changes when we do get out?

If you expect things to pretty much stay the same when we leave, what was your problem? 

Edited by Cheese

17 minutes ago, Cheese said:

If our membership of the EU has had such a massive influence on your life that you think we desperately need to get out of it, surely you'd admit that there will be dramatic changes when we do get out?

If you expect things to pretty much stay the same when we leave, what was your problem? 

I just want my Blue Passport 

36 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Not really - it's at the top of what we can afford and both our jobs are in commissioned services which can be cut annually if budgets dip for any reason. Would it not be sensible to wait 6 months and see how the land lies then? 

Carry on as normal id say.

its folk shitting their pants that leads to recessions 

And you might not be able to get one in 6 months time when the banks have imploded :)

Edited by gonzo

47 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Not really - it's at the top of what we can afford and both our jobs are in commissioned services which can be cut annually if budgets dip for any reason. Would it not be sensible to wait 6 months and see how the land lies then? 

Possibly, only having a bit of fun, of course.

But, what if prices rise?

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Possibly, only having a bit of fun, of course.

But, what if prices rise?

If it goes tits up, then projected interest rate rises would likely be put on hold.

Get buying Kent. 

Moreover there's no way the NHS is going to be shafted before any election. I reckon you're pretty safe.

Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

If it goes tits up, then projected interest rate rises would likely be put on hold.

Get buying Kent. 

Moreover there's no way the NHS is going to be shafted before any election. I reckon you're pretty safe.

Safe as, er, houses

• Site Supporter

Just to provide some balance.

the EU are hardly covering themselves in glory with all this. Just because we’ve chosen to “quit the gym” (so to speak), it is still our choice.

from a commercial point of view, they have done well out of us and could be vauguely magnanimous about losing a customer and provide a bit of help.

Lets imagine this - it’s all friendly, the EU say ‘fair enough, we’re not happy but we’ll let you go and leave the door open for you if you ever want to come back.’ 

Instead, they’re sulking like toddlers and getting smug because we’re imploding.

It’s hardly indicative of an organisation that promotes itself as open, friendly and ready to trade.

its a shitstorm, but they’re still cunts.

• Site Supporter
Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Get buying Kent. 

This ain't an election mate. This is full-blown unprecedented catastrophe. It's all fun and games until the fog of politics disperses and the reality becomes clear. 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Spider said:

the EU are hardly covering themselves in glory with all this. Just because we’ve chosen to “quit the gym” (so to speak), it is still our choice.

from a commercial point of view, they have done well out of us and could be vauguely magnanimous about losing a customer and provide a bit of help.

Lets imagine this - it’s all friendly, the EU say ‘fair enough, we’re not happy but we’ll let you go and leave the door open for you if you ever want to come back.’ 

Instead, they’re sulking like toddlers and getting smug because we’re imploding.

It’s hardly indicative of an organisation that promotes itself as open, friendly and ready to trade.

Assuming the deal is accepted (maybe with a little tinkering) then it's onto the trade negotiations. They may offer a better picture, as ultimately it's trade which it was founded on.

13 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Get buying Kent. 

Thanks everyone. If I'm adding to the homeless figures in 2019 you can all buy me a brew! :)

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Spider said:

This "gym member" analogy is fucking bollocks. We ARE the EU. We are exiting a UNION. We're not a fucking customer. This mindset is the result of decades of propaganda. 

Edited by Cheese

4 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Thanks everyone. If I'm adding to the homeless figures in 2019 you can all buy me a brew! :)

I’d even stump up with White Lightning, if that is still de rigeur :)

Edited by boltondiver

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, Cheese said:

This "gym member" analogy is fucking bollocks. We ARE the EU. We are exiting a UNION. We're not a fucking customer. This mindset is the result of decades of propaganda. 

Chill your boots

the fact is that they are getting pissy, and whilst they have a point, they should at least pretend they’re helping.

i don’t like it either. But in amongst everything,  they’re acting like the unions of the 70’s and 80’s which no one wants a return to

Edited by Spider