Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Spider said:

Chill your boots

the fact is that they are getting pissy, and whilst they have a point, they should at least pretend they’re helping.

i don’t like it either. But in amongst everything,  they’re acting like the unions of the 70’s and 80’s which no one wants a return to

"They"? You clearly don't understand what a Union is. I understand why, because its always been portrayed that way, but it's simply not reality.

4 minutes ago, Spider said:

Chill your boots

the fact is that they are getting pissy, and whilst they have a point, they should at least pretend they’re helping.

i don’t like it either. But in amongst everything,  they’re acting like the unions of the 70’s and 80’s which no one wants a return to

The fact is, Spider, that you are right

21 minutes ago, Spider said:

Just to provide some balance.

the EU are hardly covering themselves in glory with all this. Just because we’ve chosen to “quit the gym” (so to speak), it is still our choice.

from a commercial point of view, they have done well out of us and could be vauguely magnanimous about losing a customer and provide a bit of help.

Lets imagine this - it’s all friendly, the EU say ‘fair enough, we’re not happy but we’ll let you go and leave the door open for you if you ever want to come back.’ 

Instead, they’re sulking like toddlers and getting smug because we’re imploding.

It’s hardly indicative of an organisation that promotes itself as open, friendly and ready to trade.

its a shitstorm, but they’re still cunts.

Possibly your best ever post. 

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

Bolton featured on BBC news. 

The market trader (Brexiteer) to the remainers, Bolton lose every week, I get over it.

Made me smile. 

They were doing interviews earlier (on breakfast). It didn't do much to show our brethren in an intellectually positive manner.

1 minute ago, Cheese said:

I wouldn't take that as a compliment Spider. 

Question for you, Cheese, me old sparrow;

would you prefer WTO or Theresa’s Bum Deal? And, why?

6 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

They were doing interviews earlier (on breakfast). It didn't do much to show our brethren in an intellectually positive manner.

To be fair, we have a lot of intellectuals (supposedly) running the country. Who’s to say a bloke flipping sausages couldn’t do any better?

• Site Supporter
39 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Listening to Theresa, I can’t tell if she means what she says, or if she is a lunatic

I heard an interview with Stephen Baker earlier. It was informative in that he explained how MPs on the brexit side of things had discussed their plans with those advising the pm and that they had been continually ignored, and that she had slowly reduced the number of advisers to just a small circle.

I get the feeling that she knew all along what she was going to try to achieve, and that to some extent employing brexiteers in a ministerial capacity was a bit of a smoke screen.

I think she's been very calculating, and as David Davies said upon resignation, she may be right.

Perhaps she needed to bea bit unhinged to adopt such a policy, I guess history will unveil it in time.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

To be fair, we have a lot of intellectuals (supposedly) running the country. Who’s to say a bloke flipping sausages couldn’t do any better?

"Oreet Angela, I'll swap you a couple of Lincolnshires for that big bratwurst. No tariffs, no hold ups to keep them fresh".

Might be onto something

43 minutes ago, Spider said:

Just to provide some balance.

the EU are hardly covering themselves in glory with all this. Just because we’ve chosen to “quit the gym” (so to speak), it is still our choice.

from a commercial point of view, they have done well out of us and could be vauguely magnanimous about losing a customer and provide a bit of help.

Lets imagine this - it’s all friendly, the EU say ‘fair enough, we’re not happy but we’ll let you go and leave the door open for you if you ever want to come back.’ 

Instead, they’re sulking like toddlers and getting smug because we’re imploding.

It’s hardly indicative of an organisation that promotes itself as open, friendly and ready to trade.

its a shitstorm, but they’re still cunts.

Don’t think they have ever said the back door is closed have they? 

Im sure they would welcome us back with open arms 

they know as well as we do gat both sides stand to lose, us more than them of course given that they are a bigger part of our trade than we are theirs 

granted I think they could have been more pragmatic, I don’t like the fact that both sides have to agree to end the ‘backstop’, that needs to change, it should be a defined period of day 5 or even 10 years for me. Kick the can down the road! 

Lets keep in mind though, what’s on the table is a backstop, not a long term agreement 

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Question for you, Cheese, me old sparrow;

would you prefer WTO or Theresa’s Bum Deal? And, why?

I think it's pretty clear by now - not just in my opinion - that EU membership is better than ANY alternative. May's Withdrawal Agreement is infinitely better than No Deal, but it's already dead, and its only a Withdrawal Agreement anyway. It's not a future Trade Deal. Your question is nonsensical. 

Do you even understand what the WTO is? And that our WTO membership is currently defined by our membership of the EU so will need to be renegotiated when we leave? And that other WTO member states have already lodged objections to what we have proposed in pre-negotiations? 

Edited by Cheese

• Site Supporter

Cheese is correct on this, how many realise this isn't our permanent trading agreement with the EU but only a transition arrangement while we actually negotiate a proper exit?  This shows how difficult it really is, we can't even agree how to deal with the next 2/3 years and it has taken nearly 2 years to get to this point.

Over in a fortnight, hold all the cards, etc, etc...

29 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I think it's pretty clear by now - not just in my opinion - that EU membership is better than ANY alternative. May's Withdrawal Agreement is infinitely better than No Deal, but it's already dead, and its only a Withdrawal Agreement anyway. It's not a future Trade Deal. Your question is nonsensical. 

Do you even understand what the WTO is? And that our WTO membership is currently defined by our membership of the EU so will need to be renegotiated when we leave? And that other WTO member states have already lodged objections to what we have proposed in pre-negotiations? 

So if you were an MP would you vote for TM’s proposal or reject it when it’s put forward to parliament? 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

So if you were an MP would you vote for TM’s proposal or reject it when it’s put forward to parliament? 

I have no idea. Thankfully I'm not an MP, and if I was, I'd be guided by the interests of my constituents. I don't envy them. 

3 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I have no idea. Thankfully I'm not an MP, and if I was, I'd be guided by the interests of my constituents. I don't envy them. 

Their interests rather than their votes? 

• Site Supporter
19 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Their interests rather than their votes? 

Their votes that got me elected to act in their interests?

I know what you're getting at. This is the big problem with referendums.

Edited by Cheese

24 minutes ago, Cheese said:

That’s a very political answer 

Your clearly left of centre, I’d assume a traditional Labour voter 

Humour me, assume your a pro European Labour MP, back TM’s proposal or reject it and send us over the cliff edge in March? 

I can only see that this is TM’s strategy, get tgrough the challenge from her hardline Brexiteers then work on the rest of the house, she must be hoping that enough Labour MP’s vote with their heads as it’s much better than no deal at all 

Edited by birch-chorley

• Site Supporter
Just now, birch-chorley said:

That’s a very political answer 

Your clearly left of centre, I’d assume a traditional Labour voter 

Humour me, assume your a pro European Labour MP, back TM’s proposal or reject it and send us over the cliff edge in March? 

I can only see that this is TM’s strategy, get tgrough the challenge from her hardline Brexiteers then work on the rest of the house that know it’s much better than no deal at all 

You were asking me to imagine I was an MP, so of course it was a political answer. Thankfully I'm not, and I wouldn't ever want to be. You'll have to find your humour elsewhere I'm afraid. 

17 minutes ago, Cheese said:

You were asking me to imagine I was an MP, so of course it was a political answer. Thankfully I'm not, and I wouldn't ever want to be. You'll have to find your humour elsewhere I'm afraid. 

I’d hazard a guess that for all your catastrophe talk you’d still vote against it and send us over the edge just to bring about a GE 

Poor form if so!!

I hope that TM can find enough pragmatic Labour MP’s who realise that this back stop is much better for the country than driving off a cliff edge 

Edited by birch-chorley

• Site Supporter
29 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

I’d hazard a guess that for all your catastrophe talk you’d still vote against it and send us over the edge just to bring about a GE 

Poor form if so!!

I hope that TM can find enough pragmatic Labour MP’s who realise that this back stop is much better for the country than driving off a cliff edge 

Hazard whatever guesses you want. I'm not an MP. I have no idea what I'd do. And it would be irrelevant anyway. No Deal has been the planned destination since day one, and there's nothing anyone can do about it. I don't expect you to believe it. I hope I'm very, very wrong.