Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

• Members
13 hours ago, Sweep said:

Agreed, it should be wheeled out anytime there is one of these "protests" about anything - they're all equally ridiculous, no matter what it is they're spouting off about. Each side does it, knowing the opposite side will turn up. 

Water cannon all protestors, it's the only way - no matter if they're Antifa, EDL, FLA or Vegans against Brexit - tar them all with the same brush and get them water cannoned and baton charged. Hopefully they'll eventually realise it's just a massive waste of time and effot, and they'll decide to do something a bit more constructive with their time instead of just aimlessly trudging around the streets singing silly songs and generally making the place look untidy

Fair points.

• Members
17 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

His dad was a bus driver ffs...

How do you get to be in citizen Khan's position from such a lowly background?

Easy; PC madness, Iman telling people how to vote, loony leftism, postal votes, nepotism, namby pamby liberal elitism and positive discrimination, bedwetting crawlers and a biased MSN.

Kinell, Youri is finally starting to comprehend.

Well, I'll go ter't foot of our stairs.......................

4 hours ago, Jol_BWFC said:

I suspect you are after an argument / debate, which is pointless with you when the topic is Khan -  so I won't waste much time. He has done plenty of positive things for London, including pushing through the night tube service, lobbying for more funding for the city (e.g. the met police), freezing certain tube fares, promoting environmental matters in the city (oxford st for example); he took on Uber, he's been naming and shaming rogue landlords and I see he is also looking at rent controls. You may not agree with all of his policies and approaches (I don't) but he has the city's best interests at heart and is certainly a step up on the baffoon that was Boris and his water cannons.

My comment, though, was more about the salary the mayor gets. Whilst a tidy sum, it isn't much for one of the most high profile jobs in the country's capital, where he is tasked with managing a city with a population of more than 8million. The heads of the TUC and the RMT unions get paid more than him. As for wages in the private sector in London, whilst a bit of an extreme example, you can be a 25 year old having just finished a graduate scheme and be earning the same as the mayor.

At last, a rational post from someone living here.

At least Miami doesn’t get a vote on who we elect as our mayor.

7 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

His dad was a bus driver ffs...

How do you get to be in citizen Khan's position from such a lowly background?

Easy; PC madness, Iman telling people how to vote, loony leftism, postal votes, nepotism, namby pamby liberal elitism and positive discrimination, bedwetting crawlers and a biased MSN.

Sajid Javid's dad started out as a bus driver.

Sajid himself took a 98% pay cut to become an MP.

6 minutes ago, Spider said:

She’ll still be in charge tomorrow

Yep. The vote being as soon as today is a sure sign that she is confident she will win. Last night I thought she might lose but it seems once again the Brexiteer lot have shot their bolt too early.

They needed to ensure enough support across the whole party to oust her. But now it will be pitted as the hardline Brexiteers against everyone else and there aren't enough of them to oust her.

The problem her detractors have now is what do they do in the vote on the deal? They've tried to get rid of her and if they fail their options are - back her, or resign from the party I'd say. 

Edited by bwfcfan5

• Site Supporter

Let’s be honest, she’s merely the mouthpiece for the biggest fucking mess this country has ever known.

even if she lost (she won’t), the next gob-in-a-suit will be vilified and hated just the same.

Edited by Spider

She should resign or the party should vote her out. They should then put forward two candidates only. One a strong brexiteer. A second someone who wants to stay closely aligned to the eu. They campaign to the membership on this basis. The whole party agree to accept the will of their own membership with how we come out. The brexit candidate wins we go no deal (or start from no deal as a basis) the other candidate wins the hard line brexit lot tow the line and accept the soft brexit. Voting her to stay solves nothing snd it's just the 300 mps deciding based on their own views how we should come out and we will be stalement in parliannrnt still

4 minutes ago, tarian1979 said:

She should resign or the party should vote her out. They should then put forward two candidates only. One a strong brexiteer. A second someone who wants to stay closely aligned to the eu. They campaign to the membership on this basis. The whole party agree to accept the will of their own membership with how we come out. The brexit candidate wins we go no deal (or start from no deal as a basis) the other candidate wins the hard line brexit lot tow the line and accept the soft brexit. Voting her to stay solves nothing snd it's just the 300 mps deciding based on their own views how we should come out and we will be stalement in parliannrnt still

The problem is that there aren’t very many hardline Brexit Tory MPs. Not enough to win this vote. And the rest might not like May or think she’s any good but now have a choice. May or an unknown hardline Brexit candidate. They’ve ballsed this up by going too soon before they could reach out across the wider party spectrum.

17 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

When she wins tonight she is untouchable for a year. Will the Tory rebels then back her deal? What then?

Don’t know

i can’t see they will back the deal, though