Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

37 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Don’t know

i can’t see they will back the deal, though

See I'm not a Brexiteer but I think a proper Brexiteer in charge of the Tory party is preferable because at least then the electorate (and there surely would be a GE at this point) can have a GE and make a clear choice and there would be direction.

The problem I have now is May will win and we're stuck in purgatory - she can't call a GE - unless the Tory rebels back a Labour led motion of no confidence Labour cannot force one and May carries on with a weak mandate and no parliamentary support. She can then either go no deal, or try to work with Labour backbenchers to alter her deal to become acceptable to them. 

It is directionless and a mess. I think the ERG have ballsed up massively. 

Just now, boltondiver said:

It's more about the extent of the win.

Maggie won, but resigned.

I expect that it may go the same way for May today.

all these that have come out and said they will back her tonight on social media etc, do you reckon they'll be a fair few who vote against her?

wouldn't be at all suprised with this shithouse goverment

• Site Supporter
32 minutes ago, tyldesley_white said:

So I assume by all this May didn't get the changes to the deal from the EU  that Mounts predicted :ph34r:

Don't worry. We must still hold all the cards because we haven't played a single one yet.

1 minute ago, bwfcfan5 said:

The rest of Europe are laughing their tits off at us. As is the rest of the world. This government has been a stain on this country's history. A horrid, brown, smelly stain. 

I'd say the French and yanks are too busy with their own shit shows but yes it's been pathetic since That Twat Cameron claimed he could get the world  for a tuppence from the EU and came back with fuck all. 

1 minute ago, burnden said:

This no confidence vote tonight  @ElectionMapsUK currently has May winning 159-86

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1s9OvRyKHB_iXAozPvDLLhCAY_jEpMScKDIn-cXAHAHY/htmlview?

Yep - it will be a comfortable May win. The ERG are absolutely useless. Nobody likes them in their own party. They like the useless PM more than they do the likes of Mogg. 

So if she wins and stays she’s takes this weak pass deal to Parliament in jan?

If she loses or she stands down there’s an election for the leadership within the party and then what happens to the deal?

They try and a fudge another together for parliament? 

Or we just leave without one?

Or would a GE be called? 

8 minutes ago, gonzo said:

So if she wins and stays she’s takes this weak pass deal to Parliament in jan?

If she loses or she stands down there’s an election for the leadership within the party and then what happens to the deal?

They try and a fudge another together for parliament? 

Or we just leave without one?

Or would a GE be called? 

She will win and bring back her deal with an extra piece of paper (that was drafted a month ago) with some waffle about the backstop, to parliament in January. She will hope that enough Tories back it to get it through.

She won't lose and if she did it would almost certainly mean A50 would be put back and a GE called. Because the new Tory leader wouldn't have a mandate from the British public and there would be further divisions in an already critically weak and divided party.

I wonder if she has engineered this leadership challenge in order to try and crush the Brexiteers in her party and enable her to push a deal through parliament with support from elsehwhere? Its quite possible. 

Think about it - she defers the parliamentary vote - runs off to Europe in a stage managed exercise to pretend she is negotiating an addendum that she already has....tells a former ally or two to stick their letters in - has the leadership vote - wins easily. The 60 or so Brexiteer Tories have shot their bolt and now have far less power over her. She works with Labour and the SNP to present her deal in a softer light, perhaps including some further concessions. Passes it through parliament and then steps aside. Brexiteers in her party left outmaneuvered and impotent. 

The risk is, of course that there could be a parliamentary vote of no confidence that she could lose in the meantime if the DUP aren't brought onside.

• Site Supporter

It's all going according to plan.

We will get the deal we want.

If we don't, we go to the WTO - a trading nirvana that will make us all wealthier than we can imagine.

This is all very much as it was foretold and we'll look back on this in 2/5/10/25/50* years whilst giggling and drinking liquid gold from diamond goblets in our mansions.

Stop fucking panicking.

(* estimates vary on the time it will take for our wealth to materialise. Delete as applicable depending on your medication levels)