Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

28 minutes ago, royal white said:

Go on then what have I missed 

Well you'll only be allowed to stay for 90 days within a 180 day period for a start. You also won't have the right to work while you're there. 

So my son won't have the opportunity to work and live in Europe like I was able to do when I was growing up. Even if it was just for a couple of months.

Whether you're arsed about that or not is another question entirely.

6 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Well you'll only be allowed to stay for 90 days within a 180 day period for a start. You also won't have the right to work while you're there. 

So my son won't have the opportunity to work and live in Europe like I was able to do when I was growing up. Even if it was just for a couple of months.

Thanks for answering questions I didn’t ask. 

So like what’s been said freedom of movement is there for a few quid. 

7 minutes ago, royal white said:

Thanks for answering questions I didn’t ask. 

So like what’s been said freedom of movement is there for a few quid. 

Isn't the point that we wanted to get rid of freedom of movement because brown people kept coming here and stealing our jobs? 

• Site Supporter
17 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Folk may not have the right to work, but they will have the right to apply to do so.

Is it really such a disaster?

Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Folk may not have the right to work, but they will have the right to apply to do so.

Is it really such a disaster?

I suppose it depends what kind of work you're after. If it's skilled then you might be alright. Still an extra pain in the arse when you've not got to worry about it at the moment.

Might be different if you're younger and just want to work casually - like I did. I imagine you'll still be able to find people who'll take you on cash in hand - our kids will just get paid less as a consequence and have fewer rights. Can't see how it's a massive winner really?

If all you're bothered about is a week in Tenerife then I doubt it's going to even register as much more than a mild inconvenience.

2 hours ago, fatolive said:

Which earlier Irish leaders do you mean and what line do you think the would have taken? 

Any over the last 20 years, such as Reynolds, Ahern, Kenny would have taken into account the areas in which Ireland is dependent on the UK. If the UK suffers by, say 10%, Ireland will suffer by 20% or more.

I think they might have required the right for an NI referendum now, and then every 20 years, on unification, in return for easing the current impasse. Still, the gay Indian did a 180 degree turn on abortion - but on this he is not inclined to move. Yet.

• Site Supporter

So you think that a Fianna Fáil leader of Ireland would not seek to assure that there wouldn’t be a border in Ireland ? And not take measure to seek that assurance ? 

The imposition of border would also do harm, what position do you think the leaders you mention would take, seeing as the claim for ownership of the 6 counties was given up as part of the GFA 

Im also not sure why you described him as you did and the relevance but makes no odds, his views on abortion are also irrelevant, such is the way Irish politics works, not like his views change so he can get the government change the constitution or anything and not sure what relevance that has, only the fact he can change his mind?

• Members
6 hours ago, Sweep said:

Isn't the point that we wanted to get rid of freedom of movement because brown people kept coming here and stealing our jobs? 

Here we fucking go again. Back to the gutter.

The last time I looked, there weren't many brown Bulgarians, Romanians etc.

It's as tired as 'owd, thick, racist cunts'.

51 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Spot on Bolty.  Folk posting complete bollocks ad nauseum does not make it true. 

Well, stop posting it then!

:)

Edited by boltondiver

• Moderators

Back to Ireland, cos its pretty clear the outers don't like this subject

Let's say there is at some point, technology that means there is no need for a hard border

Does that solve the issue regarding movement of individuals?

I wouldn't have thought so

Ireland can be fixed with technology very easily and quickly the leave side tell us.... The leave side object to the backstop being "indefinite" until the border issue is fixed... Therefore I assume they therefore think the issue can't be fixed with technology easily and quickly.

12 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Ireland can be fixed with technology very easily and quickly the leave side tell us.... The leave side object to the backstop being "indefinite" until the border issue is fixed... Therefore I assume they therefore think the issue can't be fixed with technology easily and quickly.

Spot on

a non issue, made to look insurmountable 

9 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Here we fucking go again. Back to the gutter.

The last time I looked, there weren't many brown Bulgarians, Romanians etc.

It's as tired as 'owd, thick, racist cunts'.

The man on the street did vote to leave because of that tho, they thought a wall would be up within a fortnight and all different coloured people would be sent back. 

The majority voted for that, they didn't have a clue about anything else that goes with brexit 

1 hour ago, boltondiver said:

Spot on

a non issue, made to look insurmountable 

It's the leave side making it appear insurmountable, by not agreeing to have the backstop as "indefinite" (indefinite... as in staying in place until a solution can be found)

1 hour ago, Sweep said:

It's the leave side making it appear insurmountable, by not agreeing to have the backstop as "indefinite" (indefinite... as in staying in place until a solution can be found)

The EU brought it to the table 

The issue folk had with free movement as far as I can see was largely to do with them able to come here and claim benefits, with a bit of driving wages down 

in reality a very small % of EU migrants are here on benefits, most of them have come to work and they will pay tax and NI so should be more than welcome to public services. Certainly more so than a British expat living in Spain contributing no income taxes to the local economy

With regards driving wages down the NMW is now something like £16k per annum for the most unproductive jobs going, hardly indicates wage suppression 

I’m quite certain that 90% of people who voted in referendum barely had a grasp of the finer details of the customs union. I certainly didn’t