Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/labour-remainers-to-abandon-corbyn-if-he-passes-brexit-deal-6zfjgnm5w

For anyone who thinks Labour should be supporting Brexit. This poll, and a few earlier ones suggest it would be electoral suicide for them to do so.

Their vote is remain. They should be backing the majority of their members and voters rather than fence sitting. 

Funny aside from a colleague;

the only time time I want to see Tony Blair in the media is reading his obituary.

Some other pundit disagreed, and added coverage of his war trial!

23 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/labour-remainers-to-abandon-corbyn-if-he-passes-brexit-deal-6zfjgnm5w

For anyone who thinks Labour should be supporting Brexit. This poll, and a few earlier ones suggest it would be electoral suicide for them to do so.

Their vote is remain. They should be backing the majority of their members and voters rather than fence sitting. 

And turn their back on the working class midlands and north?

Edited by boltondiver

• Site Supporter
41 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Do you honestly believe the likes of Jacob Rees-Mogg and Boris Johnson are pro-Brexit because it's going to help "the working class midlands and north"? 

Edited by Cheese

31 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Do you honestly believe the likes of Jacob Rees-Mogg and Boris Johnson are pro-Brexit because it's going to help "the working class midlands and north"? 

I didn’t say that

why do have to bend every question?

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

I didn’t say that

why do have to bend every question?

Because you said people who back a second referendum are "turning their backs on the working class midlands and north"?

17 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Because you said people who back a second referendum are "turning their backs on the working class midlands and north"?

No He Didn't.

He said labour backing remain would be betraying those in labour held areas that voted (massively) to leave.

But you already knew that, and chose to ignore it, in order to deflect. Again.

• Site Supporter

I was asked by a Spaniard to explain Brexit over the weekend (got family that live there).

TI asked what they thought had happened. And here it is:

Thick, low paid, poverty stricken working class people were duped into voting to leave on the promise that loads of jobs and money would be made available to them soon after. They held to their stereotype as racist knuckledraggers who want rid of brown people and blue passports.

Middle classes and above voted to stay partly out of wanting to get likes on social media and partly because they didn't want to appear working class or offend anyone. They have a sense of misplaced snobbery about their belief that they sit on a moral high ground and like to sneer at the jingoistic, fuck-thick paupers who prefer union jack tattoos to Maori ones.

The Spaniards (he knows at any rate) are largely sympathetic. They don't really know how a vote there would go, and are interested to see how this pans out.

• Site Supporter
47 minutes ago, ZiggyStardust said:

He said labour backing remain would be betraying those in labour held areas that voted (massively) to leave.

And I'm saying he's wrong, because that's the same as saying "The Conservatives are sticking up for the working class midlands and north by backing Leave". i.e. Utter fucking nonsense.

3 hours ago, boltondiver said:

The poll includes those people. Supporting Brexit would be disastrous for them. 66% of Labour voters, supported remain. And the % is going up all the time.

Corbyn doesn't speak to the working man in the North regardless of Brexit. 

17 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

The poll includes those people. Supporting Brexit would be disastrous for them. 66% of Labour voters, supported remain. And the % is going up all the time.

Corbyn doesn't speak to the working man in the North regardless of Brexit. 

Its an interesting summation.

Does a MP have a duty (legal/moral or ethical) to look after his constiuents, no matter whether they voted for him or not ?

61% BTW (the % of labour MPs who represent constituencies that voted to leave).

Because if you then argue that Labour should vote to remain, you can't then complain if the Tories, and by extension the government, push for leave with no second vote.

Please call it now, so there canbe no confusion/ambiguity/lying afterwards.

5 hours ago, boltondiver said:

Funny aside from a colleague;

the only time time I want to see Tony Blair in the media is reading his obituary.

Some other pundit disagreed, and added coverage of his war trial!

I really don’t get the hatred for Tony Blair 

The country came on leaps and bounds during his tenure 

I get Iraq, but still, take pleasure from reading someone’s obituary? 

Anyone taking pleasure out of reading an obituary needs to have a long look at themselves. Same for the idiots who rejoiced when Thatcher died

• Site Supporter

You're right birch, though I'm getting a tad pissed off with these ex MPs and indeed some current ones.

Just wish they had the balls to admit they want to prevent brexit.

Might have more respect for them if said they would refrain from involvement in the process as they don't believe in it, but wouldn't actively work to prevent it.

This shite about following the will of constituents; despite the fact it was a free cross party vote on a non constituency basis.

Utter drivel, fuck off the lot of them.

4 hours ago, Spider said:

I was asked by a Spaniard to explain Brexit over the weekend (got family that live there).

TI asked what they thought had happened. And here it is:

Thick, low paid, poverty stricken working class people were duped into voting to leave on the promise that loads of jobs and money would be made available to them soon after. They held to their stereotype as racist knuckledraggers who want rid of brown people and blue passports.

Middle classes and above voted to stay partly out of wanting to get likes on social media and partly because they didn't want to appear working class or offend anyone. They have a sense of misplaced snobbery about their belief that they sit on a moral high ground and like to sneer at the jingoistic, fuck-thick paupers who prefer union jack tattoos to Maori ones.

The Spaniards (he knows at any rate) are largely sympathetic. They don't really know how a vote there would go, and are interested to see how this pans out.

Interesting that Spider. Was down in the office a few weeks ago and the Spanish sales management team were in (amongst others, for Brexit updates on stockpiling, etc)

Those that were Catalan (fuck me I learned from my mistake of calling them Spanish) were definitely pro-Brexit. The others I'd say were 50:50 but agree with you that they have a massive interest in the outcome here. The most pertinent point that most of them made was that they didn't understand the lack of acceptance of the vote by so many. They simply couldn't understand how anyone could still be pushing for another vote. I gave up trying to explain why people would