Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

2 minutes ago, Spider said:

Fair question

As i said, the EU project gives me the creeps. They are taking too much control, and you can see this in the way they are bullying the UK over it's exit. If they were the fair, democratic and modern organisation they purport to be, they would accept the decision, thank us for our honesty and work to a mutual exit strategy that made this fairly easy.

Unfortunately, they have sulked and to a degree made it harder than they should.

Ipso facto - they're cunts.

However, this brings us to today, where we need to step back and reconsider how to do it (we have to leave, that was the choice and we stick with it).

If it takes 5 years, it takes 5 years. It's a one shot deal so why do we have to rush and fuck it up?

You don't cut a leg off with an axe and kick the patient out onto the street in this day and age. You deal with it properly. If you catch my shitty metaphor?

Fair play, I agree with your view but I feel the Referendum was a once in a lifetime opportunity to walk away, however Cameron’s attempt at scratching the Tories anti EU itch has let the genie out of the bottle and if we don’t stop the political elite trying to put it back in the bottle the chance to leave will have passed never to come back, so for me the quicker we get on with it the better

18 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Sorry but nothing comes close to those papers who call people with opposing views "saboteurs and enemies of the people". Polly Toynbee opining and whining on in her column is nowhere near that level.

I think she is related to Merkel, she looks like her, esp with her glasses on.

• Site Supporter
17 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Do people really still think the vote was about the EU?

Was for me (though I like brown people, so the immigration bit wasn't of any concern)

I just think we are capable of operating without much of their complexity and bureacracy.

However, it's been dealt with appallingly and has turned into a stand off all over the shop.

Therefore, I think it needs more time to really sort out.

It can be done, I'm even with Mounts on that, but it needs the proper time and care. Not just a series of bullshit deadlines.

3 minutes ago, Spider said:

Was for me (though I like brown people, so the immigration bit wasn't of any concern)

I just think we are capable of operating without much of their complexity and bureacracy.

However, it's been dealt with appallingly and has turned into a stand off all over the shop.

It can be done, I'm even with Mounts on that, but it needs the proper time and care. Not just a series of bullshit deadlines.

The bullshit deadlines are designed by the EU to cause a shitstorm. 

22 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

The bullshit deadlines are designed by the EU to cause a shitstorm. 

I get that, and I don't disagree  -  but why didn't our Government do a bit of prep before triggering article 50, or just plain old leave and go WTO straight away, and then come to the negotiating table, that's the annoyance.

It's pretty grim now, especially as we've all but told the EU we don't want to, and won't go WTO......well that's our biggest negotiating card gone right there.....unless we're bluffing and we do want to go WTO

If May gets her deal though, which she wont, does that put us in a better or worse place than we are today as a member of the EU? - I forget these days

1 hour ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Sorry but nothing comes close to those papers who call people with opposing views "saboteurs and enemies of the people". Polly Toynbee opining and whining on in her column is nowhere near that level.

Quite ironic and decent timing fan5

20 hours ago, Spider said:

Is pretty much where I'm at

2 hours ago, Jol_BWFC said:

Not really, as I’m not an FT subscriber. If you confirm the dates that the EU have set as deadlines, that would be easier, thanks.

The first deadline when article 50 was triggered was March 29th 2019  this was used as a ticking clock to attempt to frighten the UK throughout the negotiations, when this didn’t work another deadline was granted I think that was 2 years after March 29th, it was only granted as an attempt to keep the UK in the EU and for us to continue paying money into the EU coffers. Of course remainers will see it differently, but Brexiteers fully understand what is going on here and that is any extension is ultimately with the aim of keeping us in the EU. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

The first deadline when article 50 was triggered was March 29th 2019  this was used as a ticking clock to attempt to frighten the UK throughout the negotiations, when this didn’t work another deadline was granted I think that was 2 years after March 29th, it was only granted as an attempt to keep the UK in the EU and for us to continue paying money into the EU coffers. Of course remainers will see it differently, but Brexiteers fully understand what is going on here and that is any extension is ultimately with the aim of keeping us in the EU. 

Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty sets out the two year time limit, so when Theresa May triggered article 50, she set the deadline of March 29 2019.

An extension would allow time for British politicians to actually get their shit together and work out how to deliver Brexit in a way that is in the country’s interest. Two and a half years after the Brexit referendum and the Government has spectacularly failed to do this (unless TM’s deal miraculously gets approved). Perhaps now that Parliament are seeking to take back control, we can actually start getting somewhere. Wishful thinking , perhaps. 

14 minutes ago, Jol_BWFC said:

Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty sets out the two year time limit, so when Theresa May triggered article 50, she set the deadline of March 29 2019.

An extension would allow time for British politicians to actually get their shit together and work out how to deliver Brexit in a way that is in the country’s interest. Two and a half years after the Brexit referendum and the Government has spectacularly failed to do this (unless TM’s deal miraculously gets approved). Perhaps now that Parliament are seeking to take back control, we can actually start getting somewhere. Wishful thinking , perhaps. 

If you knew why did you ask him? One of the reasons it’s taken so long so far is because undemocratic Remainers in power will not accept the result

22 minutes ago, Jol_BWFC said:

No one has gone through this process before and as usual the UK leads the way and ultimately we have had to endure the pain, we won’t be the last to leave, those who follow would be wise not to play the game by EU rules and go straight to WTO, that was our mistake it gave remainers the opportunity to try to halt and sabotage democracy and the EU the leverage to make it as difficult as possible to leave, in order that it deters others from trying to escape.

The triggering of article 50 was intended and designed to set deadlines and to pressure the UK in negotiations and set future deadlines again to add pressure and create a situation where the EU had the upper hand, all very cleverly designed,  sadly we walked  into the trap set by the EU. 

Compounding everything was a remain PM and a remain civil service negotiating the deal and playing by EU rules. 

Yes we will get a deal over the line but remainiacs have hindered the process (well done to them, great job in making us all poorer) and ultimately the initial deal will be poorer than it should have been.  Future UK governments will have to go back to the EU and fight future battles over the coming years even when a deal is agreed this won’t be the end of it. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

2 minutes ago, Moon boy said:

If you knew why did you ask him? One of the reasons it’s taken so long so far is because undemocratic Remainers in power will not accept the result

I asked him because he referred to “bullshit EU deadlines” and I was not aware of any such EU deadlines - so wanted to know about the ones to which he was referring.

16 minutes ago, Moon boy said:

He was attempting to infer there wasn’t any deadlines set by the EU. Of course he’ll deny that. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

He was attempting to infer there wasn’t any deadlines set by the EU. Of course he’ll deny that. 

I've read his answer above and I'll take his version over yours

He knew you were talking bollocks and just wanted you to spell it out

HTH :)