Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Ani said:

Knowing Mounts away from the site, he is not someone who does not give a shit about others and his use of 'tough shit' was more of a general 'shit happens' whichever solution we adopt.

it's "tough shit" for those actually voted out in the first place, otherwise it's "shit happens"

8 minutes ago, fatolive said:

just read that 34 billion in exports to Ireland, its one of the largest trading partners, not sure how that compares to other figures but its not a drop in the ocean if it all stopped, which i dont think it will but its not like a city economy you seem to suggest.

coincidentally, i'm involved in the gas main construction program Spider alludes to, lot of cooperation and joint ventures between British and Irish firms in that alone, lot of people here will have nothing to do if that went west, again, dont think it will but to dismiss it as akin to Manchester and Liverpool is wide of the mark.

Population wise is the point I made, fully understand that Ireland is off grid and for that reason the gas industry is important, seems to me though once the EU investment gets it Ireland on grid it might well be less important going forward. As stated in my previous post these challenges in life and business occur regardless of Brexit.

14 minutes ago, Carlos said:

It's called Question Time for a reason. Clearly the "audience" are all political activists, you have to take that in context. Clearly Corbyn's mob are smart on Twitter, miles ahead of the government, so they would say that!

Yeah I take that on board. I did feel uncomfortable watching a bit. Felt a bit contrived and I guess QT always is. 

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

Surely staying in the customs union is not brexit at all. In fact it is worse than May's transition deal.  Also, who is to say that after the 2 1/2 years of transition (or possibly longer) that Labour aren't in power and a customs union is what they enter us into?

May's deal isn't a transition deal. A transition period is there to facilitate the implementation of whatever deal is agreed.

Once agreed, it becomes law. The only way a future government could change that is by further legislation, which it could push for if it chose.

All that said, whatever deal is agreed, if it at some point started to become unfavourable, then new agreements would, potentially be easier, because we wouldn't have to leave again first.

• Site Supporter
45 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Thanks Ani I appreciate the comments, and yes my comment was more of a general shit happens, in fact I am sure I did not say tough shit, and yes I do care about other folks situation but as someone like yourself that has been through the 70s/80s and 90s of political and social unrest, being made redundant after 4 years apprenticeship and from a council house back ground and without a silver spoon I suppose that is where my view point and seemingly lack of sympathy might come from, as a kid we were always told to get on with it by parents and grandparents and it was tough love looking back but they came from completely different time. I hope all works out well for Spider but we have as a nation voted to leave and unfortunately things will change and for some it will be worse and others it will be better, we all just have to get on with our working life and meet whatever challenges comes our way, but wasn't that always the way of the world before Brexit came along.  Good luck to Spider hope no more hard feelings. 

Mounts, there's no hard feelings, you know that. Life's too short.

But we'll always pull one another up on stuff we don't agree with, 'tis normal.

I have a similar background to yours for what it's worth. I've never been given anything, what I have I've worked hard for. (it's very little, but still...)

The thing is, when you have worked for it, it's fucking annoying that it could be ruined by what now appears to have been a rather messy situation. If it had fucked up through normal business problems, or I'd been really shit, then fair enough But this could have been done better. On that we must, surely, agree?

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

May's deal isn't a transition deal. A transition period is there to facilitate the implementation of whatever deal is agreed.

Once agreed, it becomes law. The only way a future government could change that is by further legislation, which it could push for if it chose.

All that said, whatever deal is agreed, if it at some point started to become unfavourable, then new agreements would, potentially be easier, because we wouldn't have to leave again first.

May's deal is a transition arrangement only. The backstop part of it is the problem because that could legally bind us to the EU with no way out. Get rid of that somehow and we may get somewhere.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Winchester White said:

May's deal is a transition arrangement only. The backstop part of it is the problem because that could legally bind us to the EU with no way out. Get rid of that somehow and we may get somewhere.

not without customs union, i dont think

1 hour ago, bwfcfan5 said:

This will be an unpopular opinion on here but I actually thought the treatment of Abbott last night verged on bullying. We all know she's a complete liability. Her party shouldn't put her up and the fact they do mean this is somewhat self inflicted. But the fact she was criticised by the audience member in that way yet not given immediate right of reply was not good. And there are claims on twitter by audience members that BBC staff were encouraging the audience to "go for her" and whipping them up pre-show.

I think questioning her claims and statements is one thing. But I actually felt uncomfortable watching last night. She was forced to sit there take it and not given a chance to say anything back. Even Daily Mail hack Oakeshott appeared embarrassed for her at one point.

This is where we've sunk to now. Thinking that is appropriate. The BBC thinking that is appropriate. And I fundamentally agree that she is a complete liability. However, she is far from the only one in politics.

I realise that literally nobody will agree with this but there we are. 

What chance do labour ever have when they put her on a programme like QT? If I was a labour supporter/voter I would be raging and wanting to know why JC allows her to go on such programmes. 

The woman is a fkin idiot 

33 minutes ago, Spider said:

Mounts, there's no hard feelings, you know that. Life's too short.

But we'll always pull one another up on stuff we don't agree with, 'tis normal.

I have a similar background to yours for what it's worth. I've never been given anything, what I have I've worked hard for. (it's very little, but still...)

The thing is, when you have worked for it, it's fucking annoying that it could be ruined by what now appears to have been a rather messy situation. If it had fucked up through normal business problems, or I'd been really shit, then fair enough But this could have been done better. On that we must, surely, agree?

Once Brexit is all done and dusted I am hoping that we will get an immediate boost to the economy, the government and the House of commons need to work together to get a resolution to this issue for business's and folk like you so we can all get back on with trying to earn a living.     

Edited by Mounts Kipper

27 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

Boris and Abbott 2 big reason why British politics is such a fucking mess. 

If these 2 numpties can get to positions of power and influence. 

Add May in too. And Corbyn. It is a scary, scary time right now. Where have all the grown ups gone?

1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Once Brexit is all done and dusted I am hoping that we will get an immediate boost to the economy, the government and the House of commons need to work together to get a resolution to this issue for business's and folk like you so we can all get back on with trying to earn a living.     

And all go for a pint watching Salford or Chorley :) 

• Site Supporter
42 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Add May in too. And Corbyn. It is a scary, scary time right now. Where have all the grown ups gone?

I'm not a fan of his, but that speech by Gove the other day was superb.

It's a shit old situation when you are looking back and thinking how stable things were when John Major was around. Politics was wanky dull then, as it should always be.

Just now, Spider said:

I'm not a fan of his, but that speech by Gove the other day was superb.

It's a shit old situation when you are looking back and thinking how stable things were when John Major was around. Politics was wanky dull then, as it should always be.

Gove - who told everyone "A no deal Brexit will be fine - don't believe the doom mongers". Now is saying "we cannot have a no deal". That Gove?

If he ever runs this country I'm out of here. One of the biggest wankers around who'd sell anything and anyone and any principle he's ever had out for the price of a tiny shot at power.

Thankfully I'm fairly confident (as you can be these days) that he has less chance of winning a GE than either Corbyn or May do now. And that is saying something. 

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Gove - who told everyone "A no deal Brexit will be fine - don't believe the doom mongers". Now is saying "we cannot have a no deal". That Gove?

If he ever runs this country I'm out of here. One of the biggest wankers around who'd sell anything and anyone and any principle he's ever had out for the price of a tiny shot at power.

Thankfully I'm fairly confident (as you can be these days) that he has less chance of winning a GE than either Corbyn or May do now. And that is saying something. 

I just said I liked his speech.

You do tend to over react.

Nice to see our fellow Nazis writing us a love letter.

Re Abbott on QT last night, to quote BB,she is as thick as a idiot’s neck.

I don’t feel it for that racist dwarf one bit......if she is isn’t capable of facing criticism,she shouldn’t be in her position.

Let’s be honest here, would she have got in Labour of old ? Not a fucking chance. Utter embarrassment.

She only got in through shagging Corbyn.....probably blackmailed him into keeping her on by saying she’d tell the whole world he’s got a tiny white whizz sized cock.

8 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Nice to see our fellow Nazis writing us a love letter.

Re Abbott on QT last night, to quote BB,she is as thick as a idiot’s neck.

I don’t feel it for that racist dwarf one bit......if she is isn’t capable of facing criticism,she shouldn’t be in her position.

Let’s be honest here, would she have got in Labour of old ? Not a fucking chance. Utter embarrassment.

She only got in through shagging Corbyn.....probably blackmailed him into keeping her on by saying she’d tell the whole world he’s got a tiny white whizz sized cock.

What do you class "Labour of old as"?

She's been a Labour MP since 1987.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Winchester White said:

We'll have to agree to differ on the first part. It's the mechanism by which we leave and the foundations going forward.

True enough the backstop is an issue, but if it ( arrangement)was temporary then there wouldn't be so much strife surely?

Obviously trade arrangements still to be made, but as we know that can't happen until whatever deal is enshrined in law.

• Site Supporter
46 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

We'll have to agree to differ on the first part. It's the mechanism by which we leave and the foundations going forward.

True enough the backstop is an issue, but if it ( arrangement)was temporary then there wouldn't be so much strife surely?

Obviously trade arrangements still to be made, but as we know that can't happen until whatever deal is enshrined in law.

You are correct but it is also there to stop a cliff edge on 29th March. It is also time limited unlike the backstop.

I really think it could scrape through if the backstop was removed or heavily amended.

If not, then sorry I would much rather remain then crash out with no deal. Even Mogg's favorite economist chum admits that manufacturing in the UK would be decimated by going to WTO rules.