Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

51 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Looking increasingly likely that Parliament will coalesce aroud May's deal, or similar.

So, down to the EU to see if they will take whatever amendments we popose.

They'd be daft not to.

I'd say Mounts is looking about right.

Cheese wrong on both guesses.

I hope you are right but the Irish are determined not to budge on the backstop, are you hearing something different?

51 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Looking increasingly likely that Parliament will coalesce aroud May's deal, or similar.

They'd be daft not to.

Agreed.

Mounts looking about right

Cheese now looking like the cabbage he is.

As the deadline approaches, let’s see who buckles first.........our lot are playing a dab hand here by appearing to act numb......

Seen it already in the last week....Portugal’s airports ready to be opening UK only lanes after Brexit for us, the French openly saying they’re ready for normal customs checks after Brexit, Barnier admitting on Wednesday the EU will find the solution to the hard border in Ireland.

No wonder this thread has gone quiet with the left beaters....oops, I meant wingers....

1 minute ago, Salford Trotter said:

I hope you are right but the Irish are determined not to budge on the backstop, are you hearing something different?

I thik that the EU have worked out that it would be better if we left, we are too much trouble if we were to now  stay. They will budge if the UK says that this is it. I think that the amendment by Graham Brady might do the trick.

Big week, mind.

32 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

I thik that the EU have worked out that it would be better if we left, we are too much trouble if we were to now  stay. They will budge if the UK says that this is it. I think that the amendment by Graham Brady might do the trick.

Big week, mind.

Is there any more detail on what these 'alternative arrangements' are? All seems a bit vague

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, boltondiver said:

They'd be daft not to.

Yep.

You posted a link a while back, with an MEP (from the Czech Republic?) talking about the importance of the EU not playing games- well that would be their chance wouldn't it. 

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Not this again. No "deal" was on offer so it couldn't be voted for. 

So therefore it's not what those who want to leave actually voted for, they voted to leave with no deal and go WTO

Just now, Sweep said:

So therefore it's not what those who want to leave actually voted for, they voted to leave with no deal and go WTO

Voters were prepared to ignore Project Fear and face a cliff edge on WTO terms. That does not preclude the possibility of a mutually beneficial deal with the rump EU.

17 minutes ago, MalcolmW said:

Voters were prepared to ignore Project Fear and face a cliff edge on WTO terms. That does not preclude the possibility of a mutually beneficial deal with the rump EU.

That is simply not true, no ordinary voters wanted to face a cliff edge situation. They were sold a dream of unbridled access to a plethora of lucrative trade deals post brexit. Please tell me where 'let's face a cliff edge' was posted on the side of a bus?

6 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

That is simply not true, no ordinary voters wanted to face a cliff edge situation. They were sold a dream of unbridled access to a plethora of lucrative trade deals post brexit. Please tell me where 'let's face a cliff edge' was posted on the side of a bus?

I'll just refer you to the Government issued 16-page booklet, sent to every household.

32 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

That's just not what people tell me.

They just had had enough of the EU and wanted out.

2 hours ago, boltondiver said:

That's just not what people tell me.

They just had had enough of the EU and wanted out.

I don't doubt that some or all of your friends were fed up but the people i speak with voted leave because were told there was a promised land outside of the EU and some were against immigrants taking their jobs. What JRM et al didn't tell them that there would be pain for decades to come, neither did he tell them that hundreds of companies would actively seek to leave the UK in the case of a No Deal and many people would lose their jobs as a result. I know you knew that was likely to happen, so why didn't you tell your friends that too? Maybe they would've changed their point of view in full knowledge of the risks? 

Edited by Salford Trotter

• Members
6 hours ago, Salford Trotter said:

I don't doubt that some or all of your friends were fed up but the people i speak with voted leave because were told there was a promised land outside of the EU and some were against immigrants taking their jobs. What JRM et al didn't tell them that there would be pain for decades to come, neither did he tell them that hundreds of companies would actively seek to leave the UK in the case of a No Deal and many people would lose their jobs as a result. I know you knew that was likely to happen, so why didn't you tell your friends that too? Maybe they would've changed their point of view in full knowledge of the risks? 

Hysterical fucking nonsense. Short term pain yes. long term gain - most definitely.

On 24/01/2019 at 20:53, Winchester White said:

Get rid of this fucking backstop and get May's deal though ffs. Her 'deal' is only the transition agreement anyway so we can go from there.

I am sick to the fucking back teeth of Brexit now yet I am compelled to still read up on the latest and tune in to R5 and LBC to listen to cunts talk shite about it.

We cannot prolong the agony further surely?

It's becoming clearer now that May has been very shrewd to put the Backstop in her deal, as a smokescreen, with every intention of taking it out.

In the meantime she is just sitting back and watching the opposition split all over the place about anything and everything - except Backstop. 

Most Tories, and the DUP, have stated they would vote for her deal without the Backstop.

It's just a matter of time before the red herring goes, but why should she rush?

Let's face it, there are only two options...

1) May's deal without the Backstop.

2) No deal .. without the Backstop.

4 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Hysterical fucking nonsense. Short term pain yes. long term gain - most definitely.

The trouble is most folk can't think outside the box and reverse the situation..

If we hadn't joined the EU and we were currently trading equally with the rest of the world, controlling our own borders etc and someone came along, and said, let's sod the rest of the world and just trade with 27 other countries, open our borders and pay £millions for the handicap, they would be brandished a fruitcake.

57 minutes ago, darwen_white said:

The trouble is most folk can't think outside the box and reverse the situation..

If we hadn't joined the EU and we were currently trading equally with the rest of the world, controlling our own borders etc and someone came along, and said, let's sod the rest of the world and just trade with 27 other countries, open our borders and pay £millions for the handicap, they would be brandished a fruitcake.

The trouble is folk like you don't even understand what the EU is, or international trade and are clearly a fruitcake. 

The EU negotiated over 160 bilateral agreements or FTAs with other non-EU countries. When we leave we'll have to start from scratch again. How on earth can anyone suggest your average Brexiteer has a fucking clue what they are talking about when nonsense like this gets repeated? 

16 hours ago, boltondiver said:

They'd be daft not to.

Not quite sure its that simple. Not certain by any means there is a clear majority for Brady or Murrison's amendment. Cooper's amendment could prevail put a timeline on things and rule out in effect, no deal. That completely changes the game as remainers in the Tory party backing May's deal as the only horse in town suddenly aren't locked in.

The ERG suddenly seem to be backing down as like everyone else, deep down they know no deal is a total disaster - and it seems like the blame being pinned on them for it was too much for them to deal with. 

As ever, remainers are the only ones right in this whole process. The deal we have is the best deal we're going to get. That isn't opinion, its absolute fact. As Brexiteer after Brexiteer rows back desperately it does make me laugh. Spineless cowards to a man. 

28 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Not quite sure its that simple. Not certain by any means there is a clear majority for Brady or Murrison's amendment. Cooper's amendment could prevail put a timeline on things and rule out in effect, no deal. That completely changes the game as remainers in the Tory party backing May's deal as the only horse in town suddenly aren't locked in.

The ERG suddenly seem to be backing down as like everyone else, deep down they know no deal is a total disaster - and it seems like the blame being pinned on them for it was too much for them to deal with. 

As ever, remainers are the only ones right in this whole process. The deal we have is the best deal we're going to get. That isn't opinion, its absolute fact. As Brexiteer after Brexiteer rows back desperately it does make me laugh. Spineless cowards to a man. 

You’ve obviously got inside information, didnt  you predict the last vote correctly