Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

2 hours ago, mickbrown said:

Boris and his mates didn’t  have a clue where this was going when they stood next to that bus. 

That’s the point Tusk is making. And it’s a valid one.

How pointing out to voters that 50 days from the day we leave, the blokes who led us down this path still don’t have a fucking clue how this will pan out strengthens leave voters resolve is beyond me if I’m honest. 

It’s simple, we had a binary vote in or out, nobody Boris,Cameron or the EU had a fucking clue how to achieve it, but that shouldn’t stop it happening.

If the present group of intelligent (sic) politicians can’t find a way through this impasse then they should move over and let someone else have a go

• Site Supporter

Exactly. That's why there's a two year period to sort a withdrawal agreement. An agreement for the benefit of both.

At the beginning of all this it was commonly accepted that the last thing anyone should do was reveal everything they wanted. So no one really knows fully what plans or otherwise anyone had.

Just another meaningless statement.

1 hour ago, MalcolmW said:

It was the EU who insisted that elections to the EU parliament could no longer be first past the post* and had to be some form of proportional representation. This in turn gave Farage a foothold in the first place, which EU performance over the next 15 years led to his UKIP becoming the major party in the UK's representation. Although Farage was (rightly) cut out from a front-line position in the referendum campaign this gave a momentum to the leave vote.

This whole leaving process has proved that the surreptitious progression of the EU towards being a federal super-state was far more advanced than most people realised.

* Apart from, erm, Belgium!

Sorry to outdo you in facts Malcolm aka Suzy Dent......27 years ago today, this was signed....the founding treaty of the failing EU

It was clear even then what their ultimate aims were.....

The plenipotentiaries want fucking for signing The Maastricht Treaty

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maastricht_Treaty

1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Neither did Tusk or the EU as no one has left. Seems the EU have a set of rules to keep you tied in yet have not thought out the process when you leave, other than triggering article 50. 

You can check any time you like, but

10 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Sorry to outdo you in facts Malcolm aka Suzy Dent......27 years ago today, this was signed....the founding treaty of the failing EU

It was clear even then what their ultimate aims were.....

The plenipotentiaries want fucking for signing The Maastricht Treaty

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maastricht_Treaty

Plenipotentiaries?

new one on me

2 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Neither did Tusk or the EU as no one has left. Seems the EU have a set of rules to keep you tied in yet have not thought out the process when you leave, other than triggering article 50. 

So you are saying we triggered article 50 but could have no idea what the impact of that would be ? And you proudly voted to lead us into the abyss ? 

Edited by Ani

23 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Plenipotentiaries?

new one on me

Thank you G.

Don’t tell the toffee nosed patronising lefty twats but this humble Northern roofa had a decent headikayshun :D

I holiday in Barbados and Riquewihr several times a year,unlike who those Hi-de-Hi Hipsters 

1 hour ago, Ani said:

So you are saying we triggered article 50 but could have no idea what the impact of that would be ? And you proudly voted to lead us into the abyss ? 

The same argument could be said about the time we went into the EU. I voted on the basis that I wanted us to leave the EU and not on how we would negotiate to leave. This Abyss is a figment of imagination by the way. 

49 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

The same argument could be said about the time we went into the EU. I voted on the basis that I wanted us to leave the EU and not on how we would negotiate to leave. This Abyss is a figment of imagination by the way. 

i was not old enough to vote about going in but that seemed to go smoothly. You said there was no process to leave but you still voted for it.

Definition of the phrase abyss when used figuratively as here  - Making a momentous life decision with great uncertainty,

I think we can agree 'momentous life decision' and 'great uncertainty' as there is no process to say what happens next.

Edited by Ani

3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Exactly. That's why there's a two year period to sort a withdrawal agreement. An agreement for the benefit of both.

At the beginning of all this it was commonly accepted that the last thing anyone should do was reveal everything they wanted. So no one really knows fully what plans or otherwise anyone had.

Just another meaningless statement.

You mean a 2 year transition period to agree a trade deal? We have had almost 3 years to sort out the WA and we are still no there

1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

All very friendly in Europe.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47161500

France is totally fucked now isn’t it mate ?

Calls for Frexit amidst the unrest.....hasn’t Macron done a fantastic job in dividing such a beautiful country ?

Is he popularity rating down to fuck all now :D

Edited by miamiwhite

• Site Supporter
24 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

You mean a 2 year transition period to agree a trade deal? We have had almost 3 years to sort out the WA and we are still no there

No I mean the two year period that article fifty gives for the creation of a withdrawal agreement.

Whether it's agreed yet is immaterial to the point being discussed: that plans etc couldn't be wholly in place prior to the discussions.

Ladies and gentlemen I introduce you to my uncle - Bob Battersby - a former MEP

Growing up I remember how anti-EEC my dad was and how he would row with my uncle about the creation of a federal republic. If WWays had been around then he would have been the miamiwhite of the forum :D

He used to rail against my uncle for becoming an MEP and helping promote a European Parliament. Although my memories are sketchy, my Uncle Bob was massively anti-Soviet and could only see that the creation of the EU was the way to protect against the Kremlin. Even in those days though, he became MEP for Humberside because he saw very early how the EEC could potentially decimate our fishing industry

My current views on the EU are partially based on the flawed introduction of the EEC and the views of my dad and my uncle

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1409786/Bob-Battersby.html

For those of a certain age and with an interest in political history, you may note where my uncle was at certain times as mentioned in his obituary. And why, during the late 50’s a black Zill limousine would be parked near my mum and dads house and follow them when they’d been to my uncle’s house

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Growing up I remember how anti-EEC my dad was and how he would row with my uncle about the creation of a federal republic. If WWays had been around then he would have been the miamiwhite of the forum :D

He used to rail against my uncle for becoming an MEP and helping promote a European Parliament. Although my memories are sketchy, my Uncle Bob was massively anti-Soviet and could only see that the creation of the EU was the way to protect against the Kremlin. Even in those days though, he became MEP for Humberside because he saw very early how the EEC could potentially decimate our fishing industry

My current views on the EU are partially based on the flawed introduction of the EEC and the views of my dad and my uncle

For those of a certain age and with an interest in political history, you may note where my uncle was at certain times as mentioned in his obituary. And why, during the late 50’s a black Zill limousine would be parked near my mum and dads house and follow them when they’d been to my uncle’s house

Fascinating stuff and crammed a fair old amount of stuff into his life.

Certainly experienced a lot and contributed a lot, fair play to him. 

24 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

What a great story, had me glued to the screen reading that.

27 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Great story A...your dad seemed a sound chap 

And so did your Uncle Bob.....great read mate.