Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

34 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Ladies and gentlemen I introduce you to my uncle - Bob Battersby - a former MEP

Growing up I remember how anti-EEC my dad was and how he would row with my uncle about the creation of a federal republic. If WWays had been around then he would have been the miamiwhite of the forum :D

He used to rail against my uncle for becoming an MEP and helping promote a European Parliament. Although my memories are sketchy, my Uncle Bob was massively anti-Soviet and could only see that the creation of the EU was the way to protect against the Kremlin. Even in those days though, he became MEP for Humberside because he saw very early how the EEC could potentially decimate our fishing industry

My current views on the EU are partially based on the flawed introduction of the EEC and the views of my dad and my uncle

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1409786/Bob-Battersby.html

For those of a certain age and with an interest in political history, you may note where my uncle was at certain times as mentioned in his obituary. And why, during the late 50’s a black Zill limousine would be parked near my mum and dads house and follow them when they’d been to my uncle’s house

Blimey, that's a life lived.

Whilst on one part, his life story is truly fascinating - there is so much to read between the lines as to why someone was travelling so freely behind the Iron Curtain at that time (rearrange ‘6 agent MI double’ into a known phrase) - what actually made me post it was Mount’s comment further above

Everyone is so focussed and entrenched on “now”. Leaving the EU now without any regard about how/why we got there 

My earliest memories of my uncle would be 1972 and stories of his forays behind the Iron Curtain as an “interpreter” 

In about 73/74 my Dad and a couple of his mates bought an old Hertz depot on Bury New Road just up from Strangeways. It’s now a Kwik-Fit near the McD’s in Higher Broughton. They set up a truck and van hire company called Dart Van Hire. He used to travel to Holland and Sweden to buy DAF and VOLVO 26 and 32 tonner artics. In later life he used to rant about how EEC bureaucracy made life so difficult when in theory it should have been easier

Guess the point I’m making is life has come full circle. It was shit going in and it will be shit going out. He set his business plan and was fucked royally when we entered the EEC. There are companies now facing exactly the same as we go the other way and I doff my cap to Spider’s massively sensible posts on all of this. At the end of the day life will go on and we will survive. He did. Although his company didn’t thanks to a bank folding and taking his company with it.....

Spoke to a florist today. She said every business like her is currently shitting their pants. 

All their produce comes from The Nederlands daily. It’s appaenrly the hub of flower distribution in Europe from places like Kenya etc. 

Mother’s Day is the busiest day of their year and comes 2 days after we leave. Fresh flowers are hardly something you can stock pile and obviously needs to be here in no time. 

• Site Supporter
Just now, gonzo said:

Spoke to a florist today. She said every business like her is currently shitting their pants. 

All their produce comes from The Nederlands daily. It’s appaenrly the hub of flower distribution in Europe from places like Kenya etc. 

Mother’s Day is the busiest day of their year and comes 2 days after we leave. Fresh flowers are hardly something you can stock pile and obviously needs to be here in no time. 

Tough shit. 

1 minute ago, gonzo said:

Did she have two nice lips ?

14 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Just a thought mate, but why hasn’t she tried to buy local....like from the Red Rose excuse the pun as it’s where we live

http://embleysnurseries.co.uk/our-plants/roses/

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Did she have two nice lips ?

Tee hee. It's always either "Get over it, you lost" or some David Ike style conspiracy shite with your type. This bollocks is only going to last so long until reality hits home and you realise you've been conned. 

• Members
2 hours ago, gonzo said:

Excuse me if I don't lose any sleep over the plight of fucking florists.

We have one of the best plant growing climates on the planet and if we can't make up a shortfall of fucking flowers, I will eat my pork pie hat.

7 hours ago, gonzo said:

One imagines that the flower growers are similarly shitting themselves

And German car makers etc

At a time recession is looming

The bureaucrats need to sort themseles out

6 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Excuse me if I don't lose any sleep over the plight of fucking florists.

We have one of the best plant growing climates on the planet and if we can't make up a shortfall of fucking flowers, I will eat my pork pie hat.

Yeah fuck the florists.

The woman I spoke to has a family with 3 kids that rely completely on her business. 

She may well have to outsource to British companies or whatever in the long run, but in the short term something as big as this could bankrupt her and many others. 

People get used to seamless distribution and companies are finely in the balance. Any dramatic change can spell disaster, like it did last time.

Theres a reason florists don’t use British flowers by the way. They can’t cope with demand and are too dear. 

The florist industry is just the tip of the iceberg. Can you folk not grasp this? 

Edited by gonzo

• Members
1 minute ago, gonzo said:

Yeah fuck the florists.

The woman I spoke to has a family with 3 kids that rely completely on her business. 

She may well have to outsource to British companies or whatever in the long run, but in the short term something as big as this could bankrupt her and many others. 

People get used to seamless distribution and companies are finely in the balance. Any dramatic change can spell disaster, like it did last time.

Theres a reason florists don’t use British flowers by the way. They can’t cope with demand and are too dear. 

Tough shit.=@

9 hours ago, gonzo said:

Nederlands!! You sound like Steve McLaren. :) 

• Site Supporter

Gonzo's point is the one I've been making (and being ignored about) for a while.

The initial impact of Brexut - regardless of the deal/no deal outcome - is already being felt. People are already struggling.

If the British florist cannot get her flowers for a few months, that is ample time to put a business under. It's not like she can buy more stock.

There will be thousands in a similar position.

Spitfire fans like to get all dewy eyed and refer to us as a nation of shopkeepers - solid, robust, hard-working types. Who will look after them?

If you have a heart attack, it needs treating quickly or you die.