Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

• Members
26 minutes ago, gonzo said:

The cunts are already charging £60 for a dozen red roses delivered 2 miles away as it stands :D

In which case I stand by my original comment. I won't be losing any sleep over the plight of florists, the robbing bastards.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, bolty58 said:

In which case I stand by my original comment. I won't be losing any sleep over the plight of florists, the robbing bastards.

Let's have a recap:

Florists - Fuck 'em

Manufacturing - Fuck 'em

Window Cleaners - Fuck 'em :D

Anymore?

30 minutes ago, MalcolmW said:

Rotterdam is far more prepared for No Deal than the UK is.

Clearly fresh flowers will be a critical product, but surely some entrepreneur is preparing to route flowers from Kenya through East Midlands Airport? Just a thought.

At what additional cost?

I heard a florist on the radio before Christmas explain very clearly how disastrous it would be if there were any delays on shipments from Europe. Worse if there is a restriction in trade or contraction in trade.

The volumes and timescales they deal with - its virtually impossible for an independent florist to source their stock from elsewhere. 

Edited by bwfcfan5

56 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

All this uncertainty could have been and gone by now if it wasn't for all the obstructions Remainers keep chucking around.

possibly, sadly though, those Remainers you're talking about are the people that we voted to run the country  -  the problem lies in the Houses of Parliament, nowhere else

1 hour ago, Duck Egg said:

All this uncertainty could have been and gone by now if it wasn't for all the obstructions Remainers keep chucking around.

How would it have gone? The main opposition to the only deal on the table was from Brexiteers. You seem to live in a parallel universe. Take away the Brexiteer constant objections to anything and there would be a deal in place already. 

• Site Supporter
12 hours ago, miamiwhite said:

Went there once. Was unimpressed with his own rose garden at the nursery.

That said his shrubs seem decent but pricey. He was also very helpful with the wife when she needed advice for a project.

Anyway, bollocks to veg, I'm going to start growing flowers.

1 hour ago, Duck Egg said:

Boris and Gove voted different ways in last House of Commons vote.

But you blame Remainers for the uncertainty. 

The Remainers have different opinions on the best deal, everyone has different ideas but you blame the Remainers.

Take off the blinkers it is not remainer/brexiters it is self serving politicians of both persuasions and  red lot are as bad as the blue.

Edited by Ani

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Ani said:

Boris and Gove voted different ways in last House of Commons vote.

But you blame Remainers for the uncertainty. 

The Remainers have different opinions on the best deal, everyone has different ideas but you blame the Remainers.

Take off the blinkers it is not remainer/brexiters it is self serving politicians of both persuasions and  red lot or as bad as the blue.

Extremities of the extremists.

Hopefully they're now starting to converge on something.

We'll see fairly soon I reckon.

1 hour ago, bwfcfan5 said:

At what additional cost?

I heard a florist on the radio before Christmas explain very clearly how disastrous it would be if there were any delays on shipments from Europe. Worse if there is a restriction in trade or contraction in trade.

The volumes and timescales they deal with - its virtually impossible for an independent florist to source their stock from elsewhere. 

Which would you rather pay in the short term, 20% extra for delivery or standard price for non-delivery in saleable condition?

2 minutes ago, MalcolmW said:

Which would you rather pay in the short term, 20% extra for delivery or standard price for non-delivery in saleable condition?

That won't be the choice. The big 2/3 international florists will clean up whilst the small independent florists go out of business. Reduced competition will mean we all pay more for a worse product with less choice. 

Brexit Britain!

Edited by bwfcfan5

56 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

How would it have gone? The main opposition to the only deal on the table was from Brexiteers. You seem to live in a parallel universe. Take away the Brexiteer constant objections to anything and there would be a deal in place already. 

432 MP’s from all parties thought is was a shit deal, but you thought it was the one to vote for?

6 minutes ago, Moon boy said:

432 MP’s from all parties thought is was a shit deal, but you thought it was the one to vote for?

I don't think its a good deal for a few reasons...the backstop implications...the weak and washy political declaration that does not provide any certainty by not actually outlining what the relationship will be that is negotiated.

It isn't good at all. However, its apparent that nothing else is going to be possible by March 29th. The idea of negotiating the WA as an EFTA style exit cannot happen unless A50 is pushed way back and it seems politically that is unlikely to receive a clear mandate. Though A50 will likely have to move at some point as the time to pass legislation is unlikely to be sufficient.

My point was simply that the major opposition to the deal came from Brexiteers. Hardcore remainers will never vote for it. But the majority of the Tories and a good number of Labour MPs will vote for it eventually. But if the ERG dig in they hold it up. 

4 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

I don't think its a good deal for a few reasons...the backstop implications...the weak and washy political declaration that does not provide any certainty by not actually outlining what the relationship will be that is negotiated.

It isn't good at all. However, its apparent that nothing else is going to be possible by March 29th. The idea of negotiating the WA as an EFTA style exit cannot happen unless A50 is pushed way back and it seems politically that is unlikely to receive a clear mandate. Though A50 will likely have to move at some point as the time to pass legislation is unlikely to be sufficient.

My point was simply that the major opposition to the deal came from Brexiteers. Hardcore remainers will never vote for it. But the majority of the Tories and a good number of Labour MPs will vote for it eventually. But if the ERG dig in they hold it up. 

Course the ‘major opposition’ to the deal came from Brexiteers because the current deal on offer is not leaving

The solution for TM is obvious, get some phoney promise from our ‘friends’ in the EU that the Backstop is not permanent  tweak some workers rights plans to appease thick Labour MP’s like Nandy, Long Bailey etc, and hey presto the ERG have been bypassed, it will get through Parliament but it won’t be Brexit, and then the fun will begin 

• Site Supporter
47 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

A point made by the other half recently; large green houses throughout west Lancaster effectively redundant. If out of season tomatoes and salad are so desperately needed and supply reduces then maybe we could get them into production again.

We leave in less than 50 days, and you're suggesting it will all be OK because we could use some derelict greenhouses in Lancaster to grow tomatoes.

At what point will a Brexiter admit that this entirely unnecessary project is unadulterated fucking madness, but they want us to persue it regardless? 

Edited by Cheese

4 minutes ago, Cheese said:

We leave in less than 50 days, and you're suggesting it will all be OK because we could use some derelict greenhouses in Lancaster to grow tomatoes.

At what point will a Brexiter admit that this entirely unnecessary project is unadulterated fucking madness, but they want us to persue it regardless? 

Never - because it isn't.

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, MalcolmW said:

Never - because it isn't.

2 years ago, I'd have asked you to give me one specific, tangible, real-life example of how it is going to improve yours and your families lives, but I won't bother now.

Edited by Cheese

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Typically narrow minded again.

Keep prepping.

1 minute ago, Cheese said:

2 years ago, I'd have asked you to give me one specific, tangible, real-life example of how it is going to improve yours and your families lives, but I won't bother now.

So I won't tell you that I will be significantly better off, and far happier, so you need never know.