Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

5 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Keep coming up with such excellent solutions as renovating disused greenhouses in Lancaster.

We currently produce 92,000 metric tonnes of tomatoes in this country a year. We consume 500,000 metric tonnes.

Around 400,000 metric tonnes are imported from EU countries each year.

The idea that such a massive deficit could in a few weeks be rectified by utilising disused greenhouses is sweet. Its just absolute nonsense though. 

But anyway we'll go through the lot "import from elsewhere" "stop eating tomatoes"....the actual facts are irrelevant. Brexit is to happen regardless of the realities, because some ideological, crooked rich elites have conned a large part of our society into choosing this. 

• Site Supporter

Getting some jobs going locally by growing food. What a shit idea.

Of course it won't meet demand (irrespective of demand being artificially created, and unnecessary), but possibly reducing carbon footprint of food imports. Nah total wank.

BBC headline news that a no deal may mean there's a shortness in supply for a short while. Whoopy fucking do; nevertheless remoaners all over it. World's ending.

A suggestion as to how previous industry might be given a bit of a boost by seeing a niche in a market. Nah fuck it- we can't survive without the EU.

Doom impending, brexit about to bring the country down. Don't do anything about it, cause we need to run around waving our arms, screaming and flagellating ourselves with sticks until we bleed gold stars.

Soft cunts.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Oh, have you purchased these disused greenhouses then, and started advertising for workers?

11 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Of course it won't meet demand (irrespective of demand being artificially created, and unnecessary), but possibly reducing carbon footprint of food imports. Nah total wank.

BBC headline news that a no deal may mean there's a shortness in supply for a short while. Whoopy fucking do; nevertheless remoaners all over it. World's ending.

A suggestion as to how previous industry might be given a bit of a boost by seeing a niche in a market. Nah fuck it- we can't survive without the EU.

Doom impending, brexit about to bring the country down. Don't do anything about it, cause we need to run around waving our arms, screaming and flagellating ourselves with sticks until we bleed gold stars.

Soft cunts.

Great opportunity for UK growers of tomato and flowers to expand their business, what’s not to like. 

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Great opportunity for UK growers of tomato and flowers to expand their business, what’s not to like. 

Quite.

In response to cheese's typically stupid comment, I wonder if he'd contribute to a crowd funding scheme so I could buy them and employ folk. Perhaps even out of work migrants that lose their jobs by the hundreds of thousands after brexit.

Throughout this whole process not a single person has said there wouldn't be difficulties and changes. Manc's story and comments highlight this very well.

Opportunities will arise as well as difficulties; the important thing is being prepared to grab them. Just dismayed by the sheer negativity and loathing towards anything other than the status quo of the EU.

50 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Soft cunts.

Hang on a minute - put yourself in a different pair of shoes. You are someone who didn't vote for Brexit and doesn't want Brexit. Yet your told to suck up potential food shortages, medicine shortages and poor economic performance projections......

I get that if you really want Brexit you might put up with some things being shit for a bit. 

If you didn't vote for it though and don't want it, you must see why people don't want their lives turning to shit?

• Site Supporter
21 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

In response to cheese's typically stupid comment, I wonder if he'd contribute to a crowd funding scheme so I could buy them and employ folk. Perhaps even out of work migrants that lose their jobs by the hundreds of thousands after brexit.

Right. So your next genius idea is to crowd fund in order to buy greenhouses. Set it up and provide a sensible business plan, and I will gladly donate. Keep us updated. 

4 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Hang on a minute - put yourself in a different pair of shoes. You are someone who didn't vote for Brexit and doesn't want Brexit. Yet your told to suck up potential food shortages, medicine shortages and poor economic performance projections......

I get that if you really want Brexit you might put up with some things being shit for a bit. 

If you didn't vote for it though and don't want it, you must see why people don't want their lives turning to shit?

You’ve really gone hook line and sinker for project fear. All your fears are unfounded. I realise that won’t chill you but on the plus side you’ve only 50 odd days to find out this for yourself. 

3 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

You’ve really gone hook line and sinker for project fear. All your fears are unfounded. I realise that won’t chill you but on the plus side you’ve only 50 odd days to find out this for yourself. 

The poster I was quoting wasn't saying that. He said that we wouldn't be able to self sufficiently meet demand but "woopty do". He was saying, to paraphrase, "sure food shortages - who cares?".

We will leave with a deal thankfully as Corbyn will eventually support a deal so we won't find out. 

Guest Nordkurve
50 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Just out of interest, where are you getting your information from that everything is going to be OK ?

• Site Supporter
18 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Common sense. 

Can't have that. I'm now decrying food shortages apparently. As usual twisting comments into blown up disasters.

Common sense says that any temporary shortages in a small range of perishable, and not essential, foodstuffs can be coped with.

Longer term issues, if they occured, would represent an opportunity.

Common sense indeed, but no, let's keep moaning.

And for more info, the first website that comes up detailing tomato production and consumption, shows Holland as being the top exporter.

A small nation with a large industry (and a climate like ours)- let's see how long they go without finding means by which they can keep their products flowing.

4 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Went there once. Was unimpressed with his own rose garden at the nursery.

That said his shrubs seem decent but pricey. He was also very helpful with the wife when she needed advice for a project.

Anyway, bollocks to veg, I'm going to start growing flowers.

The famous Dave Sutton is involved in a garden centre not far from Blackpool, he’s offering discounts to Bolton fans , who are Brexiteers.

Roses are red

Remainers are blue

You lost the vote

Tough shit for you 

• Site Supporter

If we're crowdfunding

Can you crowndfund me for the shortfall we already have in our business please because the Irish have not hung around to see wht Brexit will look like and have simply started buying elsewhere in the EU?

I'd appreciate the money and will tell the world that good old British spirit and "in it together, can-do" attitude has meant I'm ok.

How do I set a crowd fund up?

I'll keep the money local too.

My roof needs looking at (Miami, I'm looking at you, kid)

I want a holiday (Traf a happy man)

The list goes on.....Breixt wins!

Edited by Spider

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Spider said:

If we're crowdfunding

Can you crowndfund me for the shortfall we already have in our business please because the Irish have not hung around to see wht Brexit will look like and have simply started buying elsewhere in the EU?

I'd appreciate the money and will tell the world that good old British spirit and "in it together, can-do" attitude has meant I'm ok.

You can sell me heating systems for my greenhouse empire.

Do you like hothouse lettuces?

6 minutes ago, Spider said:

If we're crowdfunding

I'll keep the money local too.

My roof needs looking at (Miami, I'm looking at you, kid)

I want a holiday (Traf a happy man)

The list goes on.....Breixt wins!

No worries pal.....what part of the roof needs looking,..the left wing or the right wing :D

Discount for Brexiteers, quadruple price for the other lot...

I'm sure that nothing dramatic will happen, no matter what was decided - but think about it, if we really did drop off a cliff edge, and we did get these shortages that Project Fear would have us believe, would that be such a bad thing? - I'd be more than happy for the lowest/poorest say 1 million people of society to die off, wouldn't fuss me to be honest, most of them are scum anyway. I'm lucky that I should be able to ride a year or two of grimness (which I don't think will happen anyway) - anybody that can't can just be attributed to natural wastage. Longer term, a few million less would have a major benefit to the NHS and our infrastructure as a whole, especially as most of them would be benefit cheating scumbags anyway

7 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I'm sure that nothing dramatic will happen, no matter what was decided - but think about it, if we really did drop off a cliff edge, and we did get these shortages that Project Fear would have us believe, would that be such a bad thing? - I'd be more than happy for the lowest/poorest say 1 million people of society to die off, wouldn't fuss me to be honest, most of them are scum anyway. I'm lucky that I should be able to ride a year or two of grimness (which I don't think will happen anyway) - anybody that can't can just be attributed to natural wastage. Longer term, a few million less would have a major benefit to the NHS and our infrastructure as a whole, especially as most of them would be benefit cheating scumbags anyway

WTF, bit harsh that. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper