Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

interersting part of this letter is that TM says the current WA gives the UK the ability to trade with the EU while not having to accept the 4 freedoms and the freedom to agree trade deals with other countries and without being in the customs union. 

Salford Trotter what do you have to say about that given you said we wouldn’t be able to do the above? 

10 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

interersting part of this letter is that TM says the current WA gives the UK the ability to trade with the EU while not having to accept the 4 freedoms and the freedom to agree trade deals with other countries and without being in the customs union. 

Salford Trotter what do you have to say about that given you said we wouldn’t be able to do the above? 

No she doesn't. You need to learn the difference between the WA and the political declaration. The political declaration right now is meaningless. Its aspirational, not final legal agreement. Its simply "in theory we'd like to do this". But the details of the agreement (as we see in the WA) are the critical part and there is currently 26 pages outlining it. Compared to a 600 page FTA that ultimately will be the end point.

16 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

No she doesn't. You need to learn the difference between the WA and the political declaration. The political declaration right now is meaningless. Its aspirational, not final legal agreement. Its simply "in theory we'd like to do this". But the details of the agreement (as we see in the WA) are the critical part and there is currently 26 pages outlining it. Compared to a 600 page FTA that ultimately will be the end point.

Another condescending tone reply from a remainer, do you think only remainers understand what a political declaration is? 

Lets be quite clear this WA outlines the next stage of negotiations and is/will be the basis of our future relationship with the EU. 

The WA agreement outlines we won’t be in the customs union but will have access to trade without tariff and without having to abide by the 4 freedoms, that is what I said would happen while ST said not. You need to get your head round the fact we are leaving and it’ll not be the shitstorm you and your ilk continue to predict and trade will continue as before and without having to accept the 4 freedoms. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

2 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Another condescending tone reply from a remainer, do you think only remainers understand what a political declaration is? 

Lets be quite clear this WA outlines the next stage of negotiations and is/will be the basis of our future relationship with the EU. 

The WA agreement outlines we won’t be in the customs union but will have access to trade without tariff and without having to abide by the 4 freedoms, that is what I said would happen while ST said not. You need to get your head round the fact we are leaving and it’ll not be the shitstorm you and your ilk continue to predict. 

The WA looks at the terms on which we will leave the EU, a legally binding document that sets up the platform for the not legally binding Political Declaration. This letter does not say what you think (hope) it says but rather it states the ideallic relationship both entities would like to have. Have a read of both documents and hopefully you will appreciate the difference

7 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

The WA agreement outlines we won’t be in the customs union but will have access to trade without tariff and without having to abide by the 4 freedoms, that is what I said would happen while ST said not. You need to get your head round the fact we are leaving and it’ll not be the shitstorm you and your ilk continue to predict and trade will continue as before and without having to accept the 4 freedoms. 

That's just wrong. You say condescending but then go back to the same mistakes. And talking about the WA - and completely misunderstanding what the WA is. 

The WA simply outlines the exit and transition period and arrangements for the end of that period. Come the end of the transition period the WA is finished. And either we have a free trade deal or we don't....

The political declaration outlines those things and is simply saying what both sides would like to happen. Essentially it says "we'll try to agree a free trade agreement". That is essentially all it amounts to. 

19 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

That's just wrong. You say condescending but then go back to the same mistakes. And talking about the WA - and completely misunderstanding what the WA is. 

The WA simply outlines the exit and transition period and arrangements for the end of that period. Come the end of the transition period the WA is finished. And either we have a free trade deal or we don't....

The political declaration outlines those things and is simply saying what both sides would like to happen. Essentially it says "we'll try to agree a free trade agreement". That is essentially all it amounts to. 

Aye both parties sign a WA that outlines an end to the 4 freedoms and for tariff free access to the EU as a preferred way forward for our future relationship and you think that it won’t happen. Keep up the delusion it’s all you have left. 

1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Aye both parties sign a WA that outlines an end to the 4 freedoms and for tariff free access to the EU as a preferred way forward for our future relationship and you think that it won’t happen. Keep up the delusion it’s all you have left. 

Mounts, I am not sure where the WA outlines the points you are making, here is a summary of what the WA is actually agreeing to. Can you quote the paragraph in the actual document that you are referring to so I can see for my own eyes? If it does I will happily apologise

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/nov/14/brexit-deal-key-points-from-the-draft-withdrawal-agreement

The silence from other leavers for your stance is deafening, doesn't that say something about how confusing your position is?

Edited by Salford Trotter

37 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

No they don't. They sign a WA that says we leave the EU after the transition period. End of. How we leave is not outlined. And the political declaration is absolutely not nailed down as you say. Hence all the current talk of customs union/relationship....

The political declaration does not say what you think it does. It is open ended. In fact it says that the any deal must be consistent with the EU's 4 freedoms and to protect the integrity of the SM and CU....very different to "having your cake and eating it" like you suggest. It will be a negotiation to agree a trade deal or relationship but whether there is enough middle ground to strike an easy deal....we simply do not know (and indications are its unlikely). Which is why everyone is concerned re the backstop. Because the PD is so open ended it could mean a lot of things to a lot of people. And it isn't legally binding. IF the PD was more nailed down (even if not legally binding) it would probably reassure one side or the other. The reason it is NOT nailed down is because May doesn't want to pick a side. Which is why she is now talking to Corbyn and exchanging letters. Because Corbyn has stopped talking WA and is talking PD....she can conceivable get PD changes or a more fleshed out PD that outlines the relationship more specifically. And could probably do that in partnership with Labour or a bulk of the Labour frontbench and MPs. It might be harder to get what her Brexiteers want given that is a change to the WA itself....

28 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

No they don't. They sign a WA that says we leave the EU after the transition period. End of. How we leave is not outlined. And the political declaration is absolutely not nailed down as you say. Hence all the current talk of customs union/relationship....

The political declaration does not say what you think it does. It is open ended. In fact it says that the any deal must be consistent with the EU's 4 freedoms and to protect the integrity of the SM and CU....very different to "having your cake and eating it" like you suggest. It will be a negotiation to agree a trade deal or relationship but whether there is enough middle ground to strike an easy deal....we simply do not know (and indications are its unlikely). Which is why everyone is concerned re the backstop. Because the PD is so open ended it could mean a lot of things to a lot of people. And it isn't legally binding. IF the PD was more nailed down (even if not legally binding) it would probably reassure one side or the other. The reason it is NOT nailed down is because May doesn't want to pick a side. Which is why she is now talking to Corbyn and exchanging letters. Because Corbyn has stopped talking WA and is talking PD....she can conceivable get PD changes or a more fleshed out PD that outlines the relationship more specifically. And could probably do that in partnership with Labour or a bulk of the Labour frontbench and MPs. It might be harder to get what her Brexiteers want given that is a change to the WA itself....

There is at least a month, probably 6 weeks, before the real negotiations start in earnest.

I agree May has a decision to make eventually as to whether she wants to carry the ERG and DUP or whether she can safely garner enough Labour MPs to guarantee a majority. 

1 minute ago, MalcolmW said:

There is at least a month, probably 6 weeks, before the real negotiations start in earnest.

I agree May has a decision to make eventually as to whether she wants to carry the ERG and DUP or whether she can safely garner enough Labour MPs to guarantee a majority. 

She wants to push the WA through and then decide. IF she has to decide before then she risks either her party breaking up or the WA getting through.....

2 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

The WA agreement outlines we won’t be in the customs union but will have access to trade without tariff and without having to abide by the 4 freedoms, that is what I said would happen while ST said not. 

The way I’ve read the letter from TM she is clear that she will be looking for frictionless trade on goods, no mention of services which makes up about 80% of our GDP and 40% of our exports to the EU 

14 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

The way I’ve read the letter from TM she is clear that she will be looking for frictionless trade on goods, no mention of services which makes up about 80% of our GDP and 40% of our exports to the EU 

Services are included in the agreement.

On 09/02/2019 at 17:02, miamiwhite said:

I’m glad you quoted that dick trying to slander me as racist just like Jol did last night.

I challenged Jol to post something racist I’ve said....I’m still waiting for his reply....

Will await the Cheesy bellend’s evidence too.....then I’ll accept their apologies :D

If you think I'm going to search your back catalogue of bile, I have better things to do. You don't have to put "I hate Asians" in a post to make you racist. Your incessant abuse of Khan, the regular posts about Asian grooming gangs, focussing on Asian and Syrian immigrants (as opposed to immigration in general), highlighting stabbings in London and that they are black-on-black etc. You align yourself with those like Tommy Robinson who are far-right activists and who was a member of the BNP. You go on marches attended by far-right individuals. It leaves a very clear impression to me of your point of view. 

You say you're not racist and if you insist you're not, then so be it. I'm not going to have an ongoing disagreement over this. But that's not how it's coming across to me, so perhaps you wish to consider how your posts on here portray you.

To turn back to the matter in hand, Brexit, I had a group of friends over at mine for the weekend and one was telling me that he's been told that he's going to have to move to Dublin in April because his clients are EU companies (Italy and Spain predominantly) and his company have made the decision that they need to move his team to an EU country to be able to continue to provide the necessary services to them.  He's just bought a new house in London and moved in with his girlfriend. Tough shit though.

p.s. for future reference, slander is the spoken word. If it's written, it's Libel. Every day is a school day and all that.

Edited by Jol_BWFC

• Site Supporter

I've had an email from an Irish customer today.

I can't put it on here as there's too much sensitive info on it, but rest assured it's mental. And sums up what shit we're in just with the Irish situation. 

Mounts, I'll DM it to you. Since Brexit is easy, would you mind sorting it for me please? I don't have the energy.

7 minutes ago, Spider said:

I've had an email from an Irish customer today.

I can't put it on here as there's too much sensitive info on it, but rest assured it's mental. And sums up what shit we're in just with the Irish situation. 

Mounts, I'll DM it to you. Since Brexit is easy, would you mind sorting it for me please? I don't have the energy.

Please D.M. I asked one of my suppliers in Bangladesh what they could do to help me if we went to WTO and he emailed back a 5% discount to help any tariffs that come into place, we think the tariff will be more like 25%, means a 20% increase to our customers if no WA signed. As I have said all along I do not think there will be a no deal so I am not yet unduly concerned.   

43 minutes ago, gonzo said:

If you live in Spain why on earth would you vote for Brexit? Boggles the mind. Though I'm guessing it was a "It will never win anyway but I cannot vote with liberals ever" type of vote....

I wonder how many voted for Brexit thinking it was just a "protest". Never actually expecting it to happen?

5 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

I wonder how many voted for Brexit thinking it was just a "protest". Never actually expecting it to happen?

You would hope not many people did, if they did, then they should never be allowed to vote again, as they clearly don't understand how it works

21 minutes ago, Sweep said:

You would hope not many people did, if they did, then they should never be allowed to vote again, as they clearly don't understand how it works

It's a pity that these and others were caught hook line and sinker by Boris and his mob, promised the cake with a big fat cherry on top. How does the saying go "Act in haste and repent at your leisure". Any how we can be all be reassured that soon Mounts will know his WA from his Political Declaration so we will be just fine:good:

Edited by Salford Trotter