Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

6 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

And asked Corbyn to go for it.

Pm goes and what does that get?

Nothing. 29th looms.

Some in the ERG are now more interested in bringing down May and the government than they are in delivering Brexit. You are correct - it solves nothing. But their targets are now fixed. 

3 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

John heyes giving the screechers some shit. Brilliant.

"Self entitled liberal elite".

That's got the frilled lizards red and hot under the collar.

Not really helpful though is it? Hardly like the many millionaire careerist politicians who backed Brexit aren't "elites" is it?

They have to get passed the name calling and actually all agree to compromise. 

• Site Supporter
34 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Not really helpful though is it? Hardly like the many millionaire careerist politicians who backed Brexit aren't "elites" is it?

They have to get passed the name calling and actually all agree to compromise. 

Yes. Absolutely.

However, even you have eased back on your intellectual criticisms recently, which was the point he was making. Yes he may well be of means himself, but he made sure to explain it wasn't purely material elitism, but the dismissive attitude they have of those who didn't share their view of the EU.

It's been quite a show of blood letting at times today- perhaps this was needed; like a football team holding a no holds barred discussion in the changing rooms after a defeat.

A clear the air, may help to pave the way for a more measured approach.

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Yes. Absolutely.

However, even you have eased back on your intellectual criticisms recently, which was the point he was making. Yes he may well be of means himself, but he made sure to explain it wasn't purely material elitism, but the dismissive attitude they have of those who didn't share their view of the EU.

It's been quite a show of blood letting at times today- perhaps this was needed; like a football team holding a no holds barred discussion in the changing rooms after a defeat.

A clear the air, may help to pave the way for a more measured approach.

But the Brexiteers are just as bad and probably worse. They can't accept that the promises made in the election ranged from a number of them telling everyone "oh we won't need to leave the single market, don't worry about that" - its all there for historic record. I honestly think leaving is a mistake but we are where we are - and I'd hope politicians realise that. But shouting at each other won't help.

Ultimately the Labour front bench has conceded more than practically anyone else - they dropped 2 of their red lines, more than the 2nd referendum lot, more than the ERG and more than the Tory front bench. As useless as Corbyn is I think if a few others would put a realistic proposal up and be up for dropping some red lines like they did, then we'd get somewhere....

7 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

But the Brexiteers are just as bad and probably worse. They can't accept that the promises made in the election ranged from a number of them telling everyone "oh we won't need to leave the single market, don't worry about that" - its all there for historic record. I honestly think leaving is a mistake but we are where we are - and I'd hope politicians realise that. But shouting at each other won't help.

Ultimately the Labour front bench has conceded more than practically anyone else - they dropped 2 of their red lines, more than the 2nd referendum lot, more than the ERG and more than the Tory front bench. As useless as Corbyn is I think if a few others would put a realistic proposal up and be up for dropping some red lines like they did, then we'd get somewhere....

Anyone can drop red lines when they’re not in government. 

2 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Anyone can drop red lines when they’re not in government. 

Seemingly not. The Lib Dems are hellbent on 2nd ref as are the SNP - the government can't even agree amongst themselves and the ERG seemingly are hellbent on bringing the government down.

If there was just a collective effort to push this over the line with some compromise we might get somewhere less awful. 

22 minutes ago, Spider said:

So Labour have just refused to vote in favour of a second referendum??

the labour remainers heads must be spinning

A second referendum still has a chance of coming out as "leave" - they'll push for a two year extension. If that happens, then Brexit is pretty much dead. Job done.

Just now, Spider said:

So

to summarise

Theresa has got precisely what she wanted all along.

this now ticks on to June

then it just peters out over the next two years.

Well, we can still leave by 29.03.19

1 minute ago, Spider said:

So

to summarise

Theresa has got precisely what she wanted all along.

this now ticks on to June

then it just peters out over the next two years.

There is no guarantee it goes to June. Only way that happens is IF her deal is agreed next week. Then EU will allow extension. If not she will ask for a longer extension that may not be granted especially as we’d need a good reason. 

1 minute ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Indeed. But now it is not government policy to leave on 29th March anymore...in spite of May saying and promising over 100 times that we would.

Of course.

I, for one, am disgusted by our Parliament.

Nowt I can do, though.

But, it just extends uncertainty.

Yeah I think it gets through next week as it is as you point out it’s last chance. 

‘Now no deal has “sort of”gone this puts pressure on the ERG and the other brexit Evers etc that brexit may well disappear so she will leverage that point to get it through. It’s going to be tight though 

Edited by Escobarp

1 minute ago, Escobarp said:

Yeah I think it gets through next week as it is as you point out it’s last chance. 

‘Now no deal has “sort of”gone this puts pressure on the ERG and the other brexit Evers etc that brexit may well disappear so she will leverage that point to get it through. It’s going to be tight though 

I think it will happen

Our Arlene will see to it.

• Site Supporter

A labour front bencher ignored her party's whip and voted against the ammendment which was for a second referendum. The whip was to abstain, and she's resigned.

Another voted in each lobby, as a perverse way of abstaining.

The vote against extending article 50 was higher than I expected too.

Fascinating stuff.