Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

20 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Which they won’t 

her deal will get through eventually in my opinion. 

Some of the ERG will buckle and the detestable DUP will flip too which should swing it in favour of May's deal. It's worth remembering in that horrible deal the ECJ still hold sway over us and our ability to negotiate our own trade deals will have limitations around EU regulations but at least it will be done and we won't leave without a deal. 

So the Brexit Secretary Barclay formally wound up the debate in parliament tonight for the government arguing in favour of the governments motion to extend A50.....then went and voted against it himself.

Nobody can argue we have a functional government or parliament. Never, ever has it been this bad. Truly embarrassing stuff. 

28 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

It's worth remembering in that horrible deal the ECJ still hold sway over us and our ability to negotiate our own trade deals will have limitations around EU regulations

I know which is why it surprises me that Mounts likes the deal so much

• Site Supporter
33 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

Some of the ERG will buckle and the detestable DUP will flip too which should swing it in favour of May's deal. It's worth remembering in that horrible deal the ECJ still hold sway over us and our ability to negotiate our own trade deals will have limitations around EU regulations but at least it will be done and we won't leave without a deal. 

Don't understand the concern around some alignment around standards. Makes complete sense.

38 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

It’s so precarious. Some ERG will never vote for it now. Labour backbenchers might swing this. But equally some Tory remainers who previously voted for the have hinted they might not again....

On balance I think it will squeak through but as Clark pointed out last night squeaking through isn’t good because the legislation behind it is vulnerable to a small majority - especially if the no dealers play some games....

52 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

I don’t think it’s a good deal by any stretch but it’s now as good as we will get i personally think by taking no deal away , ina roundabout way I hasten to add, we shot ourselves firmly in the balls though. We could have had a bit more sway closer it got but it’s all been handled appallingly and the whole lot of them should be ashamed 

29 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Don't understand the concern around some alignment around standards. Makes complete sense.

If the standards of the country we are negotiating with doesn't meet EU standards set as part of the common rulebook then that element of the deal cannot be included.. Chlorinated chicken is the example that is used

1 hour ago, Sweep said:

I know which is why it surprises me that Mounts likes the deal so much

Who said I liked it so much? I’d rather we left with a better deal, (I’ll console myself that at least we’ve left) however remainers just wouldn’t leave it alone, you’ve them to thank for us failing to get the deal we could of.

Once we leave the battle will continue on the future relationship and hopefully we might have a stronger government in place by then to argue our corner, but no doubt the hardline remainers still will act against our countries interest in hampering our negotiations at every opportunity. Traitorous scum bags, the electorate will remember who they are.

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
33 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Chris Green, Bolton West

has voted the right way every time

Good lad and authentic and in line with his constituents 

Proud of him

And a member at Horwich gym too. Can bench some fair weight that chap...

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Salford Trotter said:

If the standards of the country we are negotiating with doesn't meet EU standards set as part of the common rulebook then that element of the deal cannot be included.. Chlorinated chicken is the example that is used

Fine by me. Don't want inferior shite. Cheaper doesn't mean better.

5 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Fine by me. Don't want inferior shite. Cheaper doesn't mean better.

It also applies to areas like chemicals., pharma, agriculture, food saftey, animal welfare and emmisions. The WA gives divergance on services where we had £106b worth of trade with the EU and EFTA. 

• Site Supporter

I've seen some of the statutory instrument debating with regard to some of this. Chemicals, animal welfare etc. Maybe I'm missing something, but it was made clear there was no intention to weaken/lower anything with regard to standards or procedures. Indeed the opportunity may be present to improve them where applicable, quicker.

It does allow future governments to change stuff if they chose to do so, though I can't see why anyone would want to.

19 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I've seen some of the statutory instrument debating with regard to some of this. Chemicals, animal welfare etc. Maybe I'm missing something, but it was made clear there was no intention to weaken/lower anything with regard to standards or procedures. Indeed the opportunity may be present to improve them where applicable, quicker.

It does allow future governments to change stuff if they chose to do so, though I can't see why anyone would want to.

You are joking no chlorinated chicken then who’d have thought it. 

20 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

It's not so much about the UK/EU wanting to drop their standards but rather that other countries having to align with the common rulebook by raising theirs. Not sure they will want to do that particularly the US. Trump has stuck two fingers up to the Paris Accord and he doesn't feel the US have to change anything and would rather bully his way through 

50 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

You are joking no chlorinated chicken then who’d have thought it. 

Aye, but if the US say we need to allow their Chlorinated Chicken in or a free trade deal is off the table then what would you do, walk away? Remember, BREXIT needs free trade deals with the big economies like US, China etc or it will fall on its arse (from a “we are free to trade with the world persoective”) 

India will probably want another 100k visas a year, which again goes against what we would really want to do, but again are we going to walk away from another free trade deal? 

45 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Aye, but if the US say we need to allow their Chlorinated Chicken in or a free trade deal is off the table then what would you do, walk away? Remember, BREXIT needs free trade deals with the big economies like US, China etc or it will fall on its arse (from a “we are free to trade with the world persoective”) 

India will probably want another 100k visas a year, which again goes against what we would really want to do, but again are we going to walk away from another free trade deal? 

Refusing chlorinated chicken ain’t gonna be a deal breaker, no problem for me giving India 100k extra visa as long as the folk who get them are educated and can add something to our country and be self sufficient. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

Still on?

https://brexitcentral.com/ignore-nay-sayers-heres-still-course-clean-brexit-29th-march/

Parliament does not want to re-join the EU, it does not want a referendum. It cannot ask for an extension to implement the deal if MPs don’t want the deal. And nobody could stomach another drawn-out negotiation going on for potentially years and the imminent prospect of European Elections, manifestos, campaigns and all that comes with them. Once you have eliminated all the alternatives, the conclusion is staring you in the face – the UK will leave on 29th March and take back control.

Edited by boltondiver

• Members
48 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Still on?

https://brexitcentral.com/ignore-nay-sayers-heres-still-course-clean-brexit-29th-march/

Parliament does not want to re-join the EU, it does not want a referendum. It cannot ask for an extension to implement the deal if MPs don’t want the deal. And nobody could stomach another drawn-out negotiation going on for potentially years and the imminent prospect of European Elections, manifestos, campaigns and all that comes with them. Once you have eliminated all the alternatives, the conclusion is staring you in the face – the UK will leave on 29th March and take back control.

Get on with it and treat it like the first few weeks of war being declared. Mobilise the country, shoulder to the wheel - we'll be looking back at the EU in no time thinking 'poor buggers'.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, boltondiver said:

Still on?

That was my take on where we're up to.

Still time for subversion I suppose, but the ticking is getting louder.

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

That was my take on where we're up to.

Still time for subversion I suppose, but the ticking is getting louder.

The contrary position is that leaving without a deal is made law, unlikely but possible. I just can't see parliament allowing us to leave without a deal or have they spent the last 2 or 3 days voting about nothing?