Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

1 hour ago, tyldesley_white said:

What the fuck do the TUC and CBI know

Indeed

Neither are trustworthy generally and have proven themselves so in this context.

Edited by boltondiver

Fucking Hell, we've just seen a letter that one of our competitors on the continent has just sent to all their UK customers. Basically, after tomorrow, they will not be making anymore shipments to customers in the UK until the second week of April at the earliest....until they know what is going on. They're not prepared to have an issue should product get stuck in ports and become subject to tariffs, so they're not shipping until they know what's happening. That's going to fuck some people right up I'd have thought

7 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Definitely institutions to listen to and take seriously as you say. 

7 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Definitely institutions to listen to and take seriously as you say. 

Sorry, typo

Untrustworthy, rather than trustworthy 

CBI are supporting big business, and the TUC are just unreformed 

Whether the CBI or TUC are institutions to be taken seriously or not, Brexit is not just about them. Do they think that by writing an open letter, they can alter our referendum result?

It's all getting a bit boring now, we've had 3 years of billy big bollocks thinking 'cause they've got a bit of power, they're above the 17.4M.

11 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Sorry, typo

Untrustworthy, rather than trustworthy 

CBI are supporting big business, and the TUC are just unreformed 

So you're anti-big business now? Why not just vote for Corbyn. He's anti- big business and wants Brexit....

12 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Fucking Hell, we've just seen a letter that one of our competitors on the continent has just sent to all their UK customers. Basically, after tomorrow, they will not be making anymore shipments to customers in the UK until the second week of April at the earliest....until they know what is going on. They're not prepared to have an issue should product get stuck in ports and become subject to tariffs, so they're not shipping until they know what's happening. That's going to fuck some people right up I'd have thought

Strange because its the importer who would be liable for tariffs.  

7 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

The economy relies heavily upon smaller enterprises.

This is what the Federation of Small Businesses say about No Deal, i think that irrespective of who you are or what you do a No Deal Brexit is not good for the UK full stop..... 

A ‘No Deal’ Brexit would disproportionately hit small businesses in the UK, according to the Federation of Small Businesses (FSB). The warning comes alongside new research that reveals the consequences for small businesses if they are faced with any form of customs declarations post Brexit.

FSB’s new research found that close to two thirds (59%) of small businesses that export goods to the EU Customs Union, felt that trade would be impacted if overall costs increased as a result of having to complete additional customs declarations. Worryingly, over one in ten (11%) smaller firms say that they would stop exporting to the EU altogether.

15 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Strange because its the importer who would be liable for tariffs.  

yes, unless the importer then decides they'll push the product back, because the tariffs are too high, and they decide to cancel the orders whilst the products are in ports. One of our agricultural customers has already said they've some product coming from China on a ship, if it has a tariff when it arrives (mid April) then they'll just cancel the order and then it becomes the suppliers issue, as they've not paid for it yet. I asked how they would build their products, and the smart fucker just said he wouldn't bother, he'll just stop making that range of products and reduce his staff (he only employs about 10 people anyway) - he'd rather sell less and make profit, than sell more and lose money, which is fair enough. He voted leave as well by the way.

I'm not fussed, it's not affecting me at the minute, but it does show that people are thinking and worrying about a potential "no deal" (which, I don't think will happen)

• Site Supporter

A few ifs in there (Salford's quote). 

Here's another. If we go no deal (or if we had gone over two years ago) then agreeing a trade agreement to the benefit of both parties would have been well down the road.

If it's not helpful for each to introduce unnecessary hindrance, then simply don't.

Iirc, there are already proposals to change nothing in this regard for a fixed period until stuff is sorted.

It is as difficult as parties choose to make it. (Or perhaps make political capital out of).

Frankly, I'm happy to accept a compromise, many aren't. Therefore it should be the default.

Though I don't think it will happen.

Edited by Tonge moor green jacket

So we are begging the EU for an extension that they will not grant us and will instead give us a shorter extension conditional only on agreeing a deal that few people like.

Im confused. May said we would ‘crush the EU’ if they didn’t give us a good deal. Brexiteers said the EU would fall over themselves to give us all we wanted. We held all the cards. The German car industry would ensure we’d have a great deal within 6 months of the vote. There is a whole twitter thread of these promises pre and post referendum....

When are people going to wake up from the fantasy of the Brexit delusionists and realise it was all a huge lie? We hold no cards and now have to limit damage by accepting a rather bad deal. Or see what happens when we leave without one.

9 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

A few ifs in there (Salford's quote). 

Here's another. If we go no deal (or if we had gone over two years ago) then agreeing a trade agreement to the benefit of both parties would have been well down the road.

If it's not helpful for each to introduce unnecessary hindrance, then simply don't.

Iirc, there are already proposals to change nothing in this regard for a fixed period until stuff is sorted.

It is as difficult as parties choose to make it. (Or perhaps make political capital out of).

Frankly, I'm happy to accept a compromise, many aren't. Therefore it should be the default.

Though I don't think it will happen.

There are enough noises being made from allsorts of trade bodies and individual companies to indicate No Deal really has to be avoided at all costs. 

1 minute ago, bwfcfan5 said:

So we are begging the EU for an extension that they will not grant us and will instead give us a shorter extension conditional only on agreeing a deal that few people like.

Im confused. May said we would ‘crush the EU’ if they didn’t give us a good deal. Brexiteers said the EU would fall over themselves to give us all we wanted. We held all the cards. The German car industry would ensure we’d have a great deal within 6 months of the vote. There is a whole twitter thread of these promises pre and post referendum....

When are people going to wake up from the fantasy of the Brexit delusionists and realise it was all a huge lie? We hold no cards and now have to limit damage by accepting a rather bad deal. Or see what happens when we leave without one.

We have one card and that’s no deal. Fail to use it and we will deserve everything we get. 

9 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

So

Do the Italian’s have Sovereignty or not?

No they don't. If one or more countries within the 28 is keen on a trade deal with a nation in that 90 per cent of the world outside the EU and another vetoes it then nobody has sovereignty. No nation has the power to pursue their own trade policy based on their own individual needs and wants. In another scenario it may be Italy that wants the deal and another of the 27 vetoes it.

9 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Aye lose your best card that’s a great idea. FFS. 

You seriously believe the EU are going to back track now and give us everything the ERG want? If they do concede on anything it will be in the margins of the deal and nothing substantial as they hold all the cards. 

• Site Supporter
21 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

There are enough noises being made from allsorts of trade bodies and individual companies to indicate No Deal really has to be avoided at all costs. 

Doesn't seem to be bothering many MPs. The erg obviously, but so many screeching about it and yet nothing.

Every debate involves the usual individuals, papping on with their usual guff, which entails slagging someone else off.

Red lines here, red lines there. Let me have a go, because I'll do it better.

No let's not do it at all.

Cocks.