Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

Fantasy has finally struck reality. The political points of federalism over nation states are now redundant. 

Subtly of what constitutes being part of a union in Europe has left the debate. 

Whatever side you are on (and on something so complex there should never be sides) we are all poorer, whatever the outcome.

11 minutes ago, royal white said:

It may have been a lot easier if we had someone from leave negotiating the deal and not a remainer.

We did. We had Davis and Raab. See what the Europeans say about Davis ‘a man who rarely had a clue what he was talking about, who came unprepared’. 

The Raab a bloke who didn’t realise what the significance of the Dover crossing was and who then admitted he hadn’t even read the good Friday agreement. 

This is the problem. There weren’t suitable Brexiteers to do the negotiations because they either hid or were totally and utterly useless.

10 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Precisely - still reckon Andrea Leadsome and Gisela Stuart would have been a better negotiating team.

Leadsom? Christ alive. I’d rather let my dog negotiate than let that woman represent our great nation. 

3 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

We did. We had Davis and Raab. See what the Europeans say about Davis ‘a man who rarely had a clue what he was talking about, who came unprepared’. 

The Raab a bloke who didn’t realise what the significance of the Dover crossing was and who then admitted he hadn’t even read the good Friday agreement. 

This is the problem. There weren’t suitable Brexiteers to do the negotiations because they either hid or were totally and utterly useless.

With May (remain) having the final say. 

3 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Your admiration for a political an banking lightweight shocks me

I thought those two were the only people who managed to sell a vision of what life outside the EU might look like during during the debates.

And having a negotiating team from either side of the political divide might have helped to build a consensus.

1 minute ago, kent_white said:

I thought those two were the only people who managed to sell a vision of what life outside the EU might look like during during the debates.

And having a negotiating team from either side of the political divide might have helped to build a consensus.

She isn’t a serious politician, she’s a competent admin, I’m still stock she’s risen so high.

I know there is no love for Blair round here but the vitriol should be landed on Camron - Christ, I know we get a reflective PM for the nation, but I’ve met more heads of PR with more substance and intuition.

Entitled, intellectually not up to the job and left when he knew it was going tits up.

I possibly respect anyone who takes the highest office. Not him.  

4 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

That’s what May was supposed to be.

Maybe so - but I still think a brexiteer at the helm would have made more sense in hindsight. At least that way you wouldn't have all this 'the PM is thwarting the will of the people' bollocks.....

3 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Ok, I’ve heard this lots. Why would a Brexiteer made a better fist of it?

I

Well credibility for one. 

You know my thoughts on it - I think it's a stupid idea in the first place. But if it's going to happen - then the person leading on it should at least believe it's a good idea in principle.

People need leadership and to be sold a vision. It's important. We have to get behind something as a nation - and we've had nobody who's been able to offer that since the vote.

1 minute ago, kent_white said:

Well credibility for one. 

You know my thoughts on it - I think it's a stupid idea in the first place. But if it's going to happen - then the person leading on it should at least believe it's a good idea in principle.

People need leadership and to be sold a vision. It's important. We have to get behind something as a nation - and we've had nobody who's been able to offer that since the vote.

I agree. The trouble is they all knew it was an impossible thing to deliver. All of them. Those like Rees Mogg who are intelligent knew what it would involve and whilst his ultra Conservative vision of a zero tariffs, zero regulation market was deliverable he also knew politically that was impossible.

Many of the others could never, ever deliver their vision because it was an outright impossibility and they knew it!

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, royal white said:

I, like you have no idea who would have been best for the job. Maybe the PM who knows these people better should have nominated the best few? 

Do you not think she did? 

EU now looking at possibility of extension till 22nd May if deal approved. If it isn’t then extension till 11th April by which point it would expect UK to indicate way forward.

If that is final then they have taken our wording saying no longer term extension possible. Means they are open to longer extension.