Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

1 hour ago, boltondiver said:

The loonies like me?

I’m not calling anyone a loony. I’m simply saying that the lie that there is a magic way to solve the Irish border is a complete lie. The backstop is a legal requirement!

We recognised this in discussions. We asked the EU to ensure any deal honoured the GFA. They did this and we didn’t like their solution. So we offered an alternative that the EU liked less but eventually agreed to. That was a negotiation.

The fact that since then Brexiteer politicians have blathered on about there being an easy solution whilst at the same time maintaining we’d be in the backstop because there is no solution in the transition period...it just says everything that needs to be said. IF there is an easy way to have no regulatory alignment on the border whilst simultaneously not checking goods and complying with international trading law then sign the WA and implement that method and in December 2020 there is no backstop. End of. Until the fact that there currently is no solution viable to manage that border and comply with those international treaties and laws is understood by everyone.....and the MPs stop telling blatant untruths about solutions that they then cannot detail we will forever be stuck here.

Edited by bwfcfan5

• Site Supporter
32 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

I’m not calling anyone a loony. I’m simply saying that the lie that there is a magic way to solve the Irish border is a complete lie. The backstop is a legal requirement!

We recognised this in discussions. We asked the EU to ensure any deal honoured the GFA. They did this and we didn’t like their solution. So we offered an alternative that the EU liked less but eventually agreed to. That was a negotiation.

The fact that since then Brexiteer politicians have blathered on about their being an easy solution whilst at the same time maintaining we’d be in the backstop because there is no solution in the transition period...it just says everything that needs to be said. IF there is an easy way to have no regulatory alignment on the border whilst simultaneously not checking goods and complying with international trading law then sign the WA and implement that method and in December 2020 there is no backstop. End of. Until the fact that there currently is no solution viable to manage that border and comply with those international treaties and laws is understood by everyone.....and the MPs stop telling blatant untruths about solutions that they then cannot detail we will forever be stuck here.

You are wasting your time mate. 

2 hours ago, Salford Trotter said:

You do realise how long these trade deals take to negotiate? Dr Fox has only signed a handful of the 40 continuity deals in 2.5 years and that was only taking the current EU trade deal and mirroring those with the UK. So if we do leave without a deal we will be on WTO terms for several years notwithstanding the lack of preparation our businesses have done to cope with No Deal. Jobs will be lost of that there is no doubt... Tough shit i suppose as you keep on reminding us

We can continue to trade with EU for up to 10 years under GATT rules. Think that might be long enough to sort out a new trade arrangement. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

3 hours ago, bwfcfan5 said:

The EU have given us exactly the deal we asked for. If you want to stop freedom of movement and prevent regulatory alignment either side of a border then you either need checks on that border or some sort of agreement to ensure there is no need for checks without infringing international trading laws.

We asked for this deal. It’s absolutely nothing to do with there being no negotiation. It’s simply fundamentally the only deal left  available to satisfy the good friday agreement and the EUs need to protect their internal market and comply with international law.

They offered us another way of doing it but we rejected that and asked for this one instead.

Dont believe the lies from the right wing media who have misled our population. This is not intransigence. This is simply all that is left, unless WE change what we are asking for. 

‘The EU have given us exactly the deal we asked for’ you’re good at using the ‘royal we’, if it’s the deal ‘we’ asked for why does nobody want it? 

‘We’ kept saying ‘no deal is better than a bad deal’ but ‘we ‘ can’t have ‘no deal’ now, thanks to the undemocratic elite in Parliament 

Your last paragraph ‘don’t believe the lies of the right wing media’, fuck me, you sound like Derick Hatton circa 1983, do you really think people can’t look at news and information from numerous sources and form an opinion that’s has valid as yours, perhaps you could advise us how you get your informative view

48 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

We can continue to trade with EU for up to 10 years under GATT rules. Think that might be long enough to sort out a new trade arrangement. 

WTO replaced GATT in 1995

The World Trade Organization (WTO) is an intergovernmental organization that regulates international trade. The WTO officially commenced on 1 January 1995, signed by 123 nations on 15 April 1994, replacing the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT), which commenced in the year 1948.

“Article 24 of the World Trade Organisation treaty allows us to continue to trade with Europe on zero tariffs while we negotiate a free trade arrangement.”

Statements like this keep returning to the political debate: in the media, among constituents and in Parliament. However, trade law experts have repeatedly and authoritatively dismissed the view that the relevant rule – General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT) Article XXIV – offers an easy solution to UK trade with the EU in the case of ‘no-deal’.

Edited by Salford Trotter

2 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

WTO replaced GATT in 1995

The World Trade Organization (WTO) is an intergovernmental organization that regulates international trade. The WTO officially commenced on 1 January 1995, signed by 123 nations on 15 April 1994, replacing the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT), which commenced in the year 1948.

I know it did, is it correct that we can trade for upto 10 years as we do now while an agreement is sought? 

4 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I know it did, is it correct that we can trade for upto 10 years as we do now while an agreement is sought? 

I have posted an edit... Trade law experts don't believe we can trade as you point out. Where is your source? 

Edited by Salford Trotter

6 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

So if this correct then i suggest you call Donald Tusk and the 27 EU nations to tell them that they have got it all wrong and we don't go WTO until 2029. Those EU and UK lawyers are not worth a penny in fees, how did we all miss this???????? Mounts is our saviour

1 hour ago, Moon boy said:

‘The EU have given us exactly the deal we asked for’ you’re good at using the ‘royal we’, if it’s the deal ‘we’ asked for why does nobody want it? 

‘We’ kept saying ‘no deal is better than a bad deal’ but ‘we ‘ can’t have ‘no deal’ now, thanks to the undemocratic elite in Parliament 

Your last paragraph ‘don’t believe the lies of the right wing media’, fuck me, you sound like Derick Hatton circa 1983, do you really think people can’t look at news and information from numerous sources and form an opinion that’s has valid as yours, perhaps you could advise us how you get your informative view

Clearly they’ve managed to massively mislead you!

36 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

So if this correct then i suggest you call Donald Tusk and the 27 EU nations to tell them that they have got it all wrong and we don't go WTO until 2029. Those EU and UK lawyers are not worth a penny in fees, how did we all miss this???????? Mounts is our saviour

Pissed on your bonfire of negativity though. 😂

Edited by Mounts Kipper

Just catching up from my question last night re what will the remainers do when we leave.

Fair play to the tiny minority who replied....

Still waiting for the incessant posters to reply......come on you,soft twats... we’re all mates....show your colours..

2 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Just catching up from my question last night re what will the remainers do when we leave.

Fair play to the tiny minority who replied....

Still waiting for the incessant posters to reply......come on you,soft twats... we’re all mates....show your colours..

You’re probably on ignore. 😂