Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

• Site Supporter

This Turkish issue was intensely debated prior to the vote too.

The likelihood of their incorporation into the EU was revealed.

What was also shown as it has happened previously with Romania etc, was that however unlikely it was that they'd be in the EU, if it happened it was perfectly reasonable to expect many migrants to come.

Again, very widely discussed and people had full opportunity to make their own mind up.

1 hour ago, paulhanley said:

So let's try again. If people express legitimate concerns about immigration

What about when people express concerns about immigration that turn out not to be legitimate? 

Often you’d here that EU migration was bad because they don’t contribute and drain resources 

When in fact over 95% of them are here working, paying PAYE & NI and are as entitled to use public services as the rest of us 

Then you start to question the thinking of the people who have ‘legitimate concerns’ 

52 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

This Turkish issue was intensely debated prior to the vote too.

The likelihood of their incorporation into the EU was revealed.

What was also shown as it has happened previously with Romania etc, was that however unlikely it was that they'd be in the EU, if it happened it was perfectly reasonable to expect many migrants to come.

Again, very widely discussed and people had full opportunity to make their own mind up.

We had the right to Veto Romania coming in, wouldn’t have happened if we really didn’t want it to 

Has Romania joining the EU had a negative impact on the U.K.? 

4 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

What about when people express concerns about immigration that turn out not to be legitimate? 

Often you’d here that EU migration was bad because they don’t contribute and drain resources 

When in fact over 95% of them are here working, paying PAYE & NI and are as entitled to use public services as the rest of us 

Then you start to question the thinking of the people who have ‘legitimate concerns’ 

Happy to have the debate on those types of grounds. Just happy to have the debate. As long as you can acknowledge that people at any location in the world can hold legitimate concerns about immigration and not be racist. It's liberalism and its ever-growing intolerance of views that diverge from its nostrums that I am driving at - quite apart from EU membership and Brexit. 

40 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Happy to have the debate on those types of grounds. Just happy to have the debate. As long as you can acknowledge that people at any location in the world can hold legitimate concerns about immigration and not be racist. It's liberalism and its ever-growing intolerance of views that diverge from its nostrums that I am driving at - quite apart from EU membership and Brexit. 

Of course 

and you will always find plenty knuckle draggers who just want to ‘send the Pakis back’. The Knuckle draggers tend to be the ones who don’t work / contribute 

dont get me wrong, I’m not saying anyone who voted to leave sits in this category, far from it, but I’d estimate about 1m of the 17m fit into that category 

Edited by birch-chorley

10 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Of course 

and you will always find plenty knuckle draggers who just want to ‘send the Pakis back’. The Knuckle draggers tend to be the ones who don’t work / contribute 

dont get me wrong, I’m not saying anyone who voted to leave sits in this category, far from it, but I’d estimate about 1m of the 17m fit into that category 

That's fine by me - debate is fine even if it gets quite pointed. All I'd say is that it feels to me like a larger percentage (than 1m out of 17m ) of the 16m in the remain campaign are censorious, authoritarian liberal bigots who won't hear of any debate on immigration and seek to close it down with hectoring about "racism" . Indeed  they tend not to tolerate debate on many of the topics on which they've made their lofty pronouncements. 

I add that the rise of aggressive liberalism and its ills is a much wider issue than Brexit and applies way beyond our shores.

Hasten to add I am not lumping you in to that irksome catergory.

1 minute ago, paulhanley said:

That's fine by me - debate is fine even if it gets quite pointed. All I'd say is that it feels to me like a larger percentage (than 1m out of 17m ) of the 16m in the remain campaign are self righteous, censorious, authoritarian liberal bigots who won't hear of any debate on immigration and seek to close it down with hectoring about "racism" . Indeed  they tend not to tolerate debate on many of the topics on which they've made their lofty pronouncements. 

I add that the rise of aggressive liberalism and its ills is a much wider issue than Brexit and applies way beyond our shores.

Agree and edited for even greater accuracy

12 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

Apparently there is over a million at the march. That is a lot more than I thought would turn out if true.

What is the march going to achieve ?

absolutely jackshit....

Haven’t they got better things to do on a Saturday ?

Ooooh....how I’ve longed to say that to some on here :D

4 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

That's fine by me - debate is fine even if it gets quite pointed. All I'd say is that it feels to me like a larger percentage (than 1m out of 17m ) of the 16m in the remain campaign are censorious, authoritarian liberal bigots who won't hear of any debate on immigration and seek to close it down with hectoring about "racism" . Indeed  they tend not to tolerate debate on many of the topics on which they've made their lofty pronouncements. 

Well said Paul.

I tend to equate aggressive liberalism with tantrum throwing mard arses.......

2 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Well said Paul.

I tend to equate aggressive liberalism with tantrum throwing mard arses.......

Yep! There's a disproportionate amount of these characters in the Islington area and in parliament (of all political colours!). Tantrums are a common theme. Sadly they can be found elsewhere as well however. Their world is under challenge like never before - and they're not coping.

Whilst I’m confident that the majority of racists voted to leave, the self righteous amongst us can be found in both camps 

Maggie Tate formally of this parish was one in particular 

his vision of us getting it all straightened out in a fortnight has ended up being very wide of the mark, probably why he doesn’t post anymore 

20 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Crash out with no deal, date yet to be determined. 

Fingers crossed

I’m wondering if she wanted a bit more time to ensure preparation was in order then she’ll press the button.

Lots of reports, but preparation seems in reasonable shape.

1 hour ago, royal white said:

Plenty of pictures of coaches packed with 50 year old white folk attending today’s march in London.

The weird thing about marches, usually full of scrotey unwashed student types, bored pensioners with nothing better to do or sad old ex football hooligans hoping to remain relevant.

Water cannon the lot of them