Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

• Site Supporter

It seems the US have told the Brexiteers headed by the ERG that they have fuck all chance of a decent trade deal without something to fix the NI issue, just like the EU have.

So far nothing the leave campaign promised has come true. It isn't easy, we aren't prepared, we don't hold the cards and there is fuck all money saved by leaving, in fact it will cost us.

When will folk realise this? If you want to leave that is fine and I get it I really do, the EU is far from perfect. But to promise the exact opposite of reality is just absurd.

We either leave and accept the colossal economic impact or stay and accept the political turmoil that ensues from it. A half in half out scenario is the worst of all options really as we really are at the behest of the EU then.

26 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

It seems the US have told the Brexiteers headed by the ERG that they have fuck all chance of a decent trade deal without something to fix the NI issue, just like the EU have.

So far nothing the leave campaign promised has come true. It isn't easy, we aren't prepared, we don't hold the cards and there is fuck all money saved by leaving, in fact it will cost us.

When will folk realise this? If you want to leave that is fine and I get it I really do, the EU is far from perfect. But to promise the exact opposite of reality is just absurd.

We either leave and accept the colossal economic impact or stay and accept the political turmoil that ensues from it. A half in half out scenario is the worst of all options really as we really are at the behest of the EU then.

I wouldn't bother arguing mate, they just want to leave regardless of the economic damage that will be caused. This utopia that has been lauded by the Brexiteers is just a figment so, as you say, we are infinitely better off being in an union rather than this purgatory where we have no say in anything

Edited by Salford Trotter

• Members
3 hours ago, Salford Trotter said:

I wouldn't bother arguing mate, they just want to leave regardless of the economic damage that will be caused. This utopia that has been lauded by the Brexiteers is just a figment so, as you say, we are infinitely better off being in an union rather than this purgatory where we have no say in anything

The only purgatory will come when the federalists get their way and we are completely controlled by faceless Brussels bureaucrats.

Some people need a crutch to lean of in every facet of their lives. Others have the spirit on which a huge empire was built and have no problem striking out alone with faith in their own abilities. Little Englanders they call us. We call them muppets.

6 hours ago, Salford Trotter said:

To be fair, it was never about money. We were told we would be worse off right from the start.

I've heard many reasons for people voting leave, and getting rich wasn't one of them.

8 hours ago, Salford Trotter said:

Finally you understand. No Brexiteer ever metioned utopia. We just want to leave. 

19 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Finally you understand. No Brexiteer ever metioned utopia. We just want to leave. 

Yet every time a consequence of leave is mentioned you accuse people of project fear. 

14 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

You need to have a good long hard look in the mirror my friend as you reminded us on numerous occasions of how it was in the EU's interest to give us a great trade deal. You told us incessently how we the EU was a holding us back economically  and that the rest of the world would be chomping at the bit to sign free trade deals with us. So, for you, it wasn't just about leaving the EU it was about how we could deliver a brighter future for us all away from the grasp of a flawed institution (as you described it) . You better read your own posts before you respond in future

7 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

You need to have a good long hard look in the mirror my friend as you reminded us on numerous occasions of how it was in the EU's interest to give us a great trade deal. You told us incessently how we the EU was a holding us back economically  and that the rest of the world would be chomping at the bit to sign free trade deals with us. So, for you, it wasn't just about leaving the EU it was about how we could deliver a brighter future for us all away from the grasp of a flawed institution (as you described it) . You better read your own posts before you respond in future

Isn’t it in the EUs interest to give us a good trade deal? I think you’ll find they are desperate for us to agree a deal, unfortunately they want to stitch us up so that we cannot control our own trade policies. 

To leave without the EU controlling our destiny is the key and we will then get a good trade deal.

You fear us leaving without any deal, I don’t as that is the best way to get the best trade deal and that is the major difference between you and I.

Your prefer to cow tow to the EU for fear of change. 

I would choose to call their bluff drop out on WTO if necessary and then start to negotiate properly from that starting point. 

Faint heart never won fair lady. 

9 hours ago, Winchester White said:

Good post.

Unfortunately hardline leavers are not really interested in the financial impact or working closely with our neighbours (IMO best done by being part of the future decision making).

59 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Isn’t it in the EUs interest to give us a good trade deal? I think you’ll find they are desperate for us to agree a deal, unfortunately they want to stitch us up so that we cannot control our own trade policies. 

To leave without the EU controlling our destiny is the key and we will then get a good trade deal.

You fear us leaving without any deal, I don’t as that is the best way to get the best trade deal and that is the major difference between you and I.

Your prefer to cow tow to the EU for fear of change. 

I would choose to call their bluff drop out on WTO if necessary and then start to negotiate properly from that starting point. 

Faint heart never won fair lady. 

So economics played a major part then, i am glad we agree on something

38 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

So economics played a major part then, i am glad we agree on something

Again another area we differ, you think our economy will suffer outside of the EU while I think it won’t.  We will continue to trade with the EU and  also grow trade with the wider world if a proper withdrawal from the EU was negotiated. Sadly that does not look likely for now. So I’ll have to satisfy myself with a large influx of Brexit party EU MPs fighting from within. 

42 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

I hope they both get their arses kicked. 

Yep, they are both divisive and negative.

I heard a brexit party spokesman last week on Steven Nolan.

He could not even answer a simple question about what ideas or policies they would pursue (apart from the obvious).

• Site Supporter

So the Brexiters who told us all that the EU was chock full of UNELECTED beaurocrats, and that we had NO INFLUENCE within the EU, are now promising to ELECT beaurocrats to negatively INFLUENCE the EU? 

19 minutes ago, Cheese said:

So the Brexiters who told us all that the EU was chock full of UNELECTED beaurocrats, and that we had NO INFLUENCE within the EU, are now promising to ELECT beaurocrats to negatively INFLUENCE the EU? 

Yes, they are full of shit.

• Site Supporter
52 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

Yep, they are both divisive and negative.

I heard a brexit party spokesman last week on Steven Nolan.

He could not even answer a simple question about what ideas or policies they would pursue (apart from the obvious).

A remainer referring to brexiteers as negative. Wow.

• Members
1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

A remainer referring to brexiteers as negative. Wow.

In my view it's the Brexiteers who have the positive outlook for the UK. The Remainers want more of the same as the last four decades - toeing the Federal line; taking instructions and guidance from Brussels and paying for the 'privilege'. Remainers have peddled nothing but negativity since the referendum. "We are all doomed. Doomed I tell ye".

• Site Supporter
22 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Can you name a single tangible advantage of leaving the EU yet?

That works both ways though. Nobody knows what good or bad will come out of leaving or staying until one or the other goes ahead. It's ok all these "experts" forecasting what will happen but they are, at best, a bit of a guess.