Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

3 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Is this because I said the crowd at the Brexit rally in Bolton was almost exclusively white?

Not been on this thread for a while and I can see nothing has changed.

Have you seen the 751 MEP’s in the European Parliament? Almost exclusively white.

1 minute ago, miamiwhite said:

Ooh...your eyes have opened twice.

I’m off to watch TV now, sweet dreams fella

I think you live in an alternate reality. I'm willing to believe that the crowd who turned up at a Brexit Party rally in Bolton might be very different to the crowd that turned up at a Brexit Party rally in London.

I can only tell you what I saw with my own eyes. If you want to show me any pictures from last night that suggest otherwise then I'm happy to be set right. I could only properly see about half the crowd from where I was. Perhaps they'd segregated all the ethnic minorities onto the other side of the hall? :)

Not that it really matters any of that really matters in the grand scheme of things - it was just an observation.

As it happens I can see the Brexit Party doing extremely well on Thursday. They've got a cause and a sense of righteous indignation. They've also got a mobilised and energised support base. Plus because they have no other policies - they've nothing else for people to disagree with them on.

1 minute ago, Boby Brno said:

Not been on this thread for a while and I can see nothing has changed.

Have you seen the 751 MEP’s in the European Parliament? Almost exclusively white.

And if I was in a room with 751 MEP's in the European Parliament - I'd have made the same observation. But I wasn't. I was in a room with a similar number of Brexit Party supporters.

8 minutes ago, gonzo said:

I saw a guy hammering a big brexit party sign into his front lawn today. 

Seriously how little do people have in their lives to piss about making signs.

Nobody gives a flying fuck. 

What was he using his head?

24 minutes ago, gonzo said:

It’s a sign of how frustrated leavers are, this will be the biggest turnout for EU election ever and the largest number of Anti EU MEPs will be returned to Brussels. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter

The joy that people are celebrating sending elected members to carry out their wishes, what they’ll say they’ll do and get things changed for the people that voted for them is heartwarming. 

Its almost as if the EU was a democratic institution that can be changed by the will of the people or something 

44 minutes ago, fatolive said:

The joy that people are celebrating sending elected members to carry out their wishes, what they’ll say they’ll do and get things changed for the people that voted for them is heartwarming. 

Its almost as if the EU was a democratic institution that can be changed by the will of the people or something 

Ha, very good

2 hours ago, Moon boy said:

British Steel need, or have asked for £30mill, to keep going, because of TM’s shithousery we are wasting £150mill on a EU Election nobody wants

Wannabe PM Boris spent more than that on a bridge that never even got  fucking built. 

We’re fucked. 

2 hours ago, gonzo said:

Too true, I'd say about 1 in 10 of the population are total fucking wipeouts whose idea of a good time is; sharing ill-informed gobshittery with other gobshites on twitter and the like, going on marches (or countermarches) to support (or attack) some gobshite, hammering signs, making memes, posting dubious links, spouting bile, coining shite phrases and going on and on and on and on until they foam at the mouth and fall over.

All this gobshittery of the past few years from gobshites from all spheres serves to reinforce opinion that it was right to ignore the c*nts all along.

Empty vessels make the most noise.

One in ten gobby gobshites are making life fucking boring for the other nine.

When will it end?

Nobody gives a fuck as to your opinions - turn it in and get another hobby. A hobby less mental and less antisocial - hoarding urine in four pint milk bottles perhaps, maybe hoarding mangy cats and catapulting their shit at passers-by? Anything but 'engaging' in 'politics'...

Edited by Youri McAnespie

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

It’s a sign of how frustrated leavers are, this will be the biggest turnout for EU election ever and the largest number of Anti EU MEPs will be returned to Brussels. 

So frustrated they can't even put into words what it is they want. They just spit "BREXIT!" and think no deeper. 

"DEMOCRACY! BREXIT MEANS BREXIT! WTO!" 

That is literally what I hear in my local pub. We deserve everything we get.

• Members
14 hours ago, Sweep said:

Weve already established its just tough shit of anybody loses their job, no matter what the reason behind it

For what its worth, I suspect Brexit is a convenient excuse, whilst it won't have helped, manufacturing of steel in the UK has been a basket case for decades

Beat me to it. Correct. Sad but correct.

• Members
7 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Fucking two years!!

How much ore has been used in that?

Be interesting to see how much is recycled.

Mate - I am your man when it comes to iron ore!

Our business is 95% dependent upon the iron ore business here in WA. Can't speak for Vale in Brazil (and they are now out of action after the mudslide which is playing very well down here in terms of increased demand and a price per tonne on a very healthy upwards trajectory) but of the four companies we supply industrial gearbox and gearbox service to, one is producing 363M tonnes p.a., another 350Mtpa, a third 250Mtpa and a fourth 150Mtpa. then we have about 10 minor miners who collectively produce around another 80Mtpa.

Biggest client - China (around 70%) then Japan (20%) and Korea (10%).

Edited by bolty58

9 hours ago, fatolive said:

All we have to do now is apply it to the U.K. Government 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Moon boy said:

All we have to do now is apply it to the U.K. Government 

Maybe we could vote out of the un democratic bureaucratic UK and just stay in the democratic EU 😉 

• Site Supporter

Bolty- what proportion of the ore is iron?

Given the amount of steel China produces, looking at those figures from Miami, if it was all virgin steel then the iron content would have to be incredibly high.

On that basis, I presume much is recycled.

The reason I'm looking at this, is because I'm sure I heard recently that owners of steel companies over here were looking at becoming predominantly recycling based as a business model.

Not sure if this has happened, or if it's been effective. What is clear, is that Chinese manufacturing in particular, is cheap and will use largely cheap Chinese materials.

An unfortunate effect of a world market: folk buy cheap foreign stuff, which has a knock on effect on manufacturing here.

We could help ourselves somewhat, by buying British, but it's easier to say than do.

Can only hope it comes back by means of Chinese investment here.

Maybe by means of purchasing a football club!

• Members
45 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Bolty- what proportion of the ore is iron?

Can only hope it comes back by means of Chinese investment here.

Maybe by means of purchasing a football club!

Firstly, your last sentence. Yes please and for a very specific football club. Would be quite happy with the Hung Long Stadium and Dim Sum instead of buttered fucking hot dogs.

Now then, iron ores iron content is a loaded question. It (and the impurities it contains) governs who they can sell to. Some suits electric arc furnaces only, others the more conventional type.

If you research this you will almost certainly find the term 'Pilbara Blend' which has about 61% Fe content. This is the biggest seller and is a large part of the aforementioned 363Mtpa produced by Rio Tinto Iron Ore (yes - a good old London based company in the hands of the legendary Tiny Rowlands and Lonhro for a very long time).

Breaking things down however, the three main products from WA are Hematite (55-65%Fe), Magnetite (up around 70% Fe) and Marra Mamba (around 62% Fe).

The problem with the latter is that it has a high phosphorous content and is only suitable, I am told, for electric arc furnaces. To be utterly anal, the Hematite is mainly rusty red in colour; Magnetite looks like jet black talcum powder and Marra Mamba has a brownish yellow tinge.

You've probably nodded off to sleep by now so I'll shut the fuck up.........................................:D

Edited by bolty58