Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

4 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

😂me a leftie?? You seem to forget when I told you I have never voted Labour in my life that still applies today🤣

Mounts is your born again Tory

You know I’m only winding you up mate.

Don’t tell your mate Ms Blears you’re a closet TBP fan though :D

2 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

Its called May's Withdrawal Agreement, we leave the EU but we still pay homage to the ECJ and stay in a customs union

Nope

That was remain.

Have another guess

57 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

'middle of the road' Tory Party MP perhaps but certainly not in the centre ground of politics today but carry on believing it if it suits your narrative

Where is the centre ground now and who is the best example of a centre ground MP?

5 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

not on the left nor is it on the right, it's in the centre believe it or not

I haven't studied/analysed individual MPs sufficiently enough to answer your question 

Thanks, I just presumed you knew

8 hours ago, Farrelli said:

I have always voted for a party who will positively change the lives of the less well off in society so that should answer your question. And by the way BJ will not care about towns like Darwen so I hope they have a well stocked food bank.

Not disagreeing with what you say, but could you give an example of a PM (past or future) who would care about northern working class towns? 

I don't think anyone is saying BJ will be an ideal PM but he seems to be the only one to sort out the biggest political mess this country's seen in my lifetime, and that is what is needed right now.

Unknown.jpeg

Edited by darwen_white
Pic of BJ in Darwen Spoons

58 minutes ago, darwen_white said:

Not disagreeing with what you say, but could you give an example of a PM (past or future) who would care about northern working class towns? 

I don't think anyone is saying BJ will be an ideal PM but he seems to be the only one to sort out the biggest political mess this country's seen in my lifetime, and that is what is needed right now.

That is the point though. BJ's main policy (leaving the EU, possibly with no deal), will preferentially harm Northern working class towns. He is also proposing to spend billions on 5G.

In contrast a centrist party like the LD's did make a significant difference during the coalition.  Policies like increased personal tax allowance, higher minimum wage, free school meals for primary school children and employment protection for workers will have directly benefitted many people in lower paid jobs.

2 hours ago, darwen_white said:

Unknown.jpeg

This has just made me laugh. Sometimes early on in the day you need a good laugh. If the answer is Boris Johnson lord only knows what the question is. 

I'll give him this though - his pretence that he is a real leaver certainly has paid off for him eventually. I wonder how long he'll keep it up for though?

3 hours ago, darwen_white said:

Unknown.jpeg

Do you honestly believe Johnson will sort this mess out? The Boris Johnson who appears to, according to reports, offered the type of Brexit that his fellow MPs want to see whether that be a 'Hard' or 'Soft' version. He has zero chance of leaving without No Deal and if he opts for a snap GE without leaving the EU with a deal the Brexit Party and the rise of the centre ground parties will ensure we have a hung parliament and the mess goes on. I, like you, want to see this paralysis over and we can get back to having a government running the country properly whichever persuasion that might be. 

Boris' only chance in my view is if immediately on becoming PM he pushes the button on a snap GE. Otherwise he's the parliamentary numbers are unchanged. Will Boris be able to persuade the middle ground Tory and Labour backbenchers to go for no deal? Unconvinced of that. And he will not substantially change the deal on offer...so....I can only see gridlock or shenanigans forcing a no deal that would likely be the beginning of the end for him....

• Site Supporter
13 hours ago, Farrelli said:

I have always voted for a party who will positively change the lives of the less well off in society so that should answer your question. And by the way BJ will not care about towns like Darwen so I hope they have a well stocked food bank.

No it doesn't. You can't change the government at the moment, so answer the question- do you want him to succeed?

As in make a success of getting the UK out of Europe so that industry and society can move on.

Or, make a poor go of it, and potentially have us still in limbo.

Nothing to do with party politics at the moment: it's about whichever PM we have at the moment doing a good job.

If Corbyn was in position, as much as I dislike him, I'd want him to get it sorted.

4 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

No it doesn't. You can't change the government at the moment, so answer the question- do you want him to succeed?

As in make a success of getting the UK out of Europe so that industry and society can move on.

Nothing to do with party politics at the moment: it's about whichever PM we have at the moment doing a good job.

If Corbyn was in position, as much as I dislike him, I'd want him to get it sorted.

Of course we all want this over asap and we want our country to be as successful as possible but the current parliamentary arithmetic just won't allow us irrespective of the deal on the table. Something has to change but i cant see what will break the deadlock.

1 hour ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Boris' only chance in my view is if immediately on becoming PM he pushes the button on a snap GE. Otherwise he's the parliamentary numbers are unchanged. Will Boris be able to persuade the middle ground Tory and Labour backbenchers to go for no deal? Unconvinced of that. And he will not substantially change the deal on offer...so....I can only see gridlock or shenanigans forcing a no deal that would likely be the beginning of the end for him....

You may be right, but pushing the button for a GE is no longer in the PM's gift (thanks Dave and Nick).

4 minutes ago, MalcolmW said:

You may be right, but pushing the button for a GE is no longer in the PM's gift (thanks Dave and Nick).

Realistically it is. Can you see Corbyn saying "nah we'll vote against it" having asked for a GE for so long? 

8 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I'd love Boris to be successful in terms of delivering more prosperity and welfare for the less well off.

However, as leaving the EU will make us all poorer, I cannot wish him success in that pursuit.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

Of course we all want this over asap and we want our country to be as successful as possible but the current parliamentary arithmetic just won't allow us irrespective of the deal on the table. Something has to change but i cant see what will break the deadlock.

Not sure about that. At the last vote, there wasn't a massive difference as there was initially.

Wouldn't take a massive change (more confidence on the backstop issue?) to bring DUP etc on board.

Constant negativity, "this can't be done etc" achieves absolutely nothing.

Irrespective of who gets in (if it has to be Boris, then so be it) he has to be supported.

Society as a whole, probably since the creation of social media, has increasingly taken a negative, destructive view of all manner of stuff. 

Interestingly, all of the current candidates seem to have reeled back a little from the no deal scenario, whilst all still keeping it on the table.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

I'd love Boris to be successful in terms of delivering more prosperity and welfare for the less well off.

However, as leaving the EU will make us all poorer, I cannot wish him success in that pursuit.

Good on the first point.

Opinion on the second.