Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

18 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Gordon Brown said no more Tory boom and bust, but omitted to mention how unprepared he might be for a New Labour version.

He was shite.

Disagree. 1) He poured money in public services - which had been virtually destroyed by previous governments 2) the global crash was completely out of his control 3) Following the recession he dragged the economy out quickly and had us back growth faster than most of our counterparts....

What followed was bogus austerity that left the economy stilted growing at a far lower rate than the rest of the G7 and created a zero hours style economy that limped along but created much misery. The major failings came post-Brown. 

In fairness to Hammond he did a much better job that Osborne. 

But now we are contracting again. Thanks to a no deal Brexit possibility. 

28 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

Nice smiley face for bad news in response to good news. It takes all sorts.

sadly, that's what it's become, with some people (on both sides) just wanting to be seen as being right - the truth is stay or leave, we'll always have good news days and bad news days  - the deals Mounts mentioned, are nice to have, but look at the values we're talking about, absolute pennies in real terms.......but he feels the need to post them as if it shows that the UK is going to be a world beating nation if we ever get around to leaving, conversely, others will happily post that we're headed towards a recession, presumably with the aim of suggesting it's wholly down to the Brexit vote.

3 minutes ago, Sweep said:

sadly, that's what it's become, with some people (on both sides) just wanting to be seen as being right - the truth is stay or leave, we'll always have good news days and bad news days  - the deals Mounts mentioned, are nice to have, but look at the values we're talking about, absolute pennies in real terms.......but he feels the need to post them as if it shows that the UK is going to be a world beating nation if we ever get around to leaving, conversely, others will happily post that we're headed towards a recession, presumably with the aim of suggesting it's wholly down to the Brexit vote.

True. The drop in gdp has been explained as stocks that were built up due to the earlier Brexit date had been used. It follows that they will be built up again as we approach end of October. The last time I posted on this thread was when the the pessimists were panicking because the FTSE dropped below 7000. Not a peep when it recovered to over 7600. 

I voted remain. 

22 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

True. The drop in gdp has been explained as stocks that were built up due to the earlier Brexit date had been used. It follows that they will be built up again as we approach end of October.

I don't think it will build up again as we approach the end of October. My company saw an excellent February and March, as loads of our customers stockpiled goods incase anything went tits up.....in some cases, customers were buying 12-18 months worth of product, there has been a natural slow down anyway, as business in general and the economy is starting to slow (across all the EU) and as such we have customers who reckon they might not place any more orders this year, never mind need stocks

I'm only talking about the Electronics industry, so it might be different in other sectors/industries - we're now battening down the hatches for a few bumpy months, due to too much stock now in circulation (due to stock piling) and the USD/GBP exchange rate shifting quite a lot in recent weeks as well.

In reality, we just need something to happen. Leave or Stay, I don't care either way now, lets just do one or the other.......sadly, I don't see October 31st giving us an answer to that either way, I can see it being kicked further down the road until 2020, which really won't help things. My company, for now, is OK as they're pretty cash rich........some of our customers are already feeling the pinch and our credit insurers have already started reducing customer credit limits, which is never a good sign

1 hour ago, Salford Trotter said:

It was an ironic smile given the responses to the often ridiculed phrase "and we haven't even left yet". Imagine the carnage if we leave without a deal? 

Your imagination is running wild mate

Concentrate on your upcoming holiday instead :D

18 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

Can't wait to spend some quality time with the family mate👍 have you got a break planned? 

I’ll tell your better half to confiscate your access to here then mate :D

Aye, got a couple of jollies planned, usual lovely little place in Alsace with the French friends then off to on another European venture.

8 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

I’ll tell your better half to confiscate your access to here then mate :D

Aye, got a couple of jollies planned, usual lovely little place in Alsace with the French friends then off to on another European venture.

Love Europe, me

35 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Aye. Bogus austerity apparently. We must have been awash with cash, notes flowing down the streets.

Just must have missed them.

And still no mentions of the Iraq war by the experts.....not to mention Dr David Kelly.

How their memory conveniently slips.......

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

And still no mentions of the Iraq war by the experts.....not to mention Dr David Kelly.

How their memory conveniently slips.......

A bloody strange one all that. I've mentioned before about a comment made about it all from a former para who lives near me. He suggested Blair etc was guilty of murder!!

Kinell, I didn't press him any further.

33 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

A bloody strange one all that. I've mentioned before about a comment made about it all from a former para who lives near me. He suggested Blair etc was guilty of murder!!

Kinell, I didn't press him any further.

His suicide was very iffy indeed mate.

Especially coming just two days after the WMD news.

4 hours ago, miamiwhite said:

I’m truly shocked no one has mentioned Blair and the Gulf War.

Definitely something we shouldn't have entered,but hind sight is always a good thing.

I work with some people who are heavily involved in the "missile" industry (one of my top customers) . Their thoughts are that we have to have a war every decade, to keep things running smoothly. Currently, they're hoping that we start lobbing some stuff at Iran, and they've seen a good spike in orders in the last three weeks....

25 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Definitely something we shouldn't have entered,but hind sight is always a good thing.

I work with some people who are heavily involved in the "missile" industry (one of my top customers) . Their thoughts are that we have to have a war every decade, to keep things running smoothly. Currently, they're hoping that we start lobbing some stuff at Iran, and they've seen a good spike in orders in the last three weeks....

Spookily true comments there pal.

54 minutes ago, kent_white said:

"Agree it's not popular. But I'd snatch your hand off for a Tony Blair type character right now. Preferably one with a non interventionist foreign policy though!"

My apologies palfor missing that.....I switch off after reading two words of yours :D