Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

7 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I'm sure it can't really be proved either one way or another if it had any influence, and the time to complain about that had passed now anyway. To completely dismiss it though and suggest that people can't be influenced by things in social media is a bit daft though I reckon.

For years and years The Sun and The Daily Mail have been (and still are) influencing the public and telling them which way to vote, this is just the next step up from that.

What I'd argue is that when social media targets you - it tends to make you bed in to your pre-existing beliefs. If your pre-existing beliefs were bullshit to begin with then you're less likely to be exposed to anything that might change your mind. So you're if you're an anti-vaxxer for example - you'll consistently get content that confirms your worldview - and you'll consistently get content that reinforces your belief that anybody who doesn't share your opinion is thick/evil/not educated/part of the elite/a snowflake etc and so on and so forth. 

That's most of the reason people are so polarised nowadays in my opinion.

Get a VPN. Opt out. It will help (a bit). 

3 minutes ago, kent_white said:

What I'd argue is that when social media targets you - it tends to make you bed in to your pre-existing beliefs. If your pre-existing beliefs were bullshit to begin with then you're less likely to be exposed to anything that might change your mind. So you're if you're an anti-vaxxer for example - you'll consistently get content that confirms your worldview - and you'll consistently get content that reinforces your belief that anybody who doesn't share your opinion is thick/evil/not educated/part of the elite/a snowflake etc and so on and so forth. 

Not just the fault of the social media site.

We all follow people, pages and businesses that reflect our own personal world view.

I'm sure outside of things wanderers related my list of followings is very different from Miami or Royal White.

So even if the site wasn't promoting pages and posts to us we wouldn't see much to challenge our views.

I'm sure we've all got at least one mate who 90% of their posts are political in nature. They'd be less target by these ads than the mate who posts motivational quotes or cat memes

53 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I agree to a certain extent. Social media creates an echo chamber when you have established views. However, when you don't have an established view,  whoever has paid the most money to facebook, google, twitter etc, gets to try and sell products or ideologies to you.

Everyone has topics/subjects/ideologies that they don't have a strong view point on (in many cases, no viewpoint at all).

I know very little about cars, even though I've spent thousands on them over he years. I've little interest in them. I've owned and purchased cars for years, but never watch motor racing, go on any car related websites etc,  therefore it's probable that I could be more easily swayed into buying a particular car than a car enthusiast, cos I know sweet FA about them. I'm also much less likely to be loyal to one brand of car. I'm a dream customer for a car manufacturer's marketing department, it wouldn't take much to persuade me that one type of car is better than another, because of my lack of knowledge and lack of interest in carrying out any research.

Now if BMW paid an analytic company millions of £s to use algorithms based on personal search history to pinpoint me, and I  received ads, saw other people posts, was recommend films, books, blogs, articles showcasing how brilliant BMW's are, and other's how crap Audi's are, I'd probably be more inclined to buy a BMW, even though its a bit unfair on Audi. Tough shit, Audi should have spent more money on advertising.

Cambridge Analytica did the same thing with politics, in multiple elections over the world, the only thing is, they used (by paying facebook millions of $) the results of personality test quiz that hundreds of thousands of facebook  users took part in (thinking it was going to tell them what sort of personality they had). The data from the quiz gave CA an inclination into personality traits, and access to their previous interactions, likes, clicks etc, which enabled them to create profiles that suggested how likley they were to be influenced politically. It also gave them the same access to every friend linked to the quiz takers, some reckon over 80 million profiles in total. 

Whatever anyone thinks about this being a conspiracy theory, Facebook and CA were caught doing this in the US and UK. Facebook were fined $5 billion dollars in July this year,  £500k (the maximum penalty in UK) in 2018. CA closed down because of it.

I've no idea how much impact it had, and as many have pointed out, it's history now, but it really happened, and I'm sure it will happen again.

PS I've got a KIA, like half of Bolton.

5 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Privacy issues, rather than programming folk to vote for Brexit,  tin foil hat territory at its finest. 

the privacy issue was Facebook giving Cambridge Analytica access to personal data, which they then used to pinpoint people who could be swayed politically. Cambridge Analytica then sold this list, along with advice on how to influence these people, to political parties/groups with a right wing ideology. CA were founded by Steve Bannon to spread his idea of separatist, right wing beliefs. These are all facts that you can decide to ignore if you wan to. I can't be arsed trying to explain anymore. England footy's on in a bit.😁😁 

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Thing is, once we've left (eventually) and returned to the stone age, there will be no need for data mining, analytics or the rest of it.

haha. yeah, we'll all be using solar powered casio watches and will be too busy farming turnips to go on facebook

• Site Supporter
24 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Another advantage. I hadn't thought of that one.

Add in chlorinated chicken and it's superior hygiene and we are on a winner.

When we have all got a few chickens in our back gardens, could take one down to the local baths, have a swim and twist it's neck in the pool. Sorted.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Ani said:

Magnificent. If only the people spending millions on buying and utilising data would read this site they could see how they were wasting their money. 

Frightening some of the arguments being made

Or maybe the words are ridiculous, desperate, pathetic and laughable 

Just accept the facts

Maybe say yeah, but who cares, we won, but to deny facts that are as clear as day?

I'm fully prepared for some yeah, but what about

13 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Not sure the leave vote see it as a waste of money.

Sorry I thought the consensus was that it was a load of bollocks. 

You just have to have a mix of friends on Facebook and see what they share. So much of it is bollocks but people and got sucked in and think it proves their point. 

Forget Brexit it happens time after time. 

• Site Supporter
41 minutes ago, Ani said:

Sorry I thought the consensus was that it was a load of bollocks. 

You just have to have a mix of friends on Facebook and see what they share. So much of it is bollocks but people and got sucked in and think it proves their point. 

Forget Brexit it happens time after time. 

There is a range of opinion as to  its effectiveness. That's easy to spot from various posts. 

If, however it was particularly effective, then we'll done them. 

If it does happen all the time, why are folk so upset by it?

53 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

There is a range of opinion as to  its effectiveness. That's easy to spot from various posts. 

It is based on data that is collected. 

Facebook and CA have pushed/broken the rules so have had more access to more data than they should have. 

Unfortunately the acceptability of this behaviour seems to be driven by the ‘side’ people are on. 

The happens all the time comment is based on simply the use of data. 

1 hour ago, Moon boy said:

Why can’t Parliament agree to a GE on October 15th and whoever takes control can either leave with no deal or get an extension/negotiate a new deal/revoke Article 50 or whatever, surely that would end the arguing once and for all

If you watched the news and / or read newspapers, you would know why. 

If you do in fact watch the news and / or read newspapers, then you need to concentrate more.

2 hours ago, Moon boy said:

Why can’t Parliament agree to a GE on October 15th and whoever takes control can either leave with no deal or get an extension/negotiate a new deal/revoke Article 50 or whatever, surely that would end the arguing once and for all

They won’t agree as it needs 2/3 majority and labour would have to vote for it but seeing they’d lose the election they won’t vote for it.... in short all they care about is playing party politics, same with the SNP and liberals, we have a set of arsewipes in opposition. The public won’t forget at the next election.  

Edited by Mounts Kipper

2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I think authorities  aren't arsed as much when the media/adds are used to try and persuade you to buy a certain brand of trainers, a book, holiday destination, because deep down they're just after your cash.

With the CA/Facebook thing, they were trying to push a political agenda by distorting the bias in favour of one party/ideal (because of the motivations of the founder of CA).

An analogy would be BBC1 allowing a Tory political broadcast to be an hour long, but Labour ones only 5 mins, Ofcom regulation wouldn't allow it.  Also the method they used to extract the data is illegal, breaking data protection laws in UK and US.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/techcrunch.com/2019/01/09/cambridge-analyticas-parent-pleads-guilty-to-breaking-uk-data-law/amp/

3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

When we have all got a few chickens in our back gardens, could take one down to the local baths, have a swim and twist it's neck in the pool. Sorted.

You won't need to go to the baths, with global warming, the beach will be in Wigan

1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

They won’t agree as it needs 2/3 majority and labour would have to vote for it but seeing they’d lose the election they won’t vote for it.... in short all they care about is playing party politics, same with the SNP and liberals, we have a set of arsewipes in opposition. The public won’t forget at the next election.  

Cameron again!

Not only did he hold a referendum totally unprepared for the result going against his wishes, but he also introduced the Fixed Term Parliament Act so that the PM of the day was no longer free to call a general election. His book is coming out soon, too.