Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

As is always the case the EU can refuse any further extension. 

However, to me it seems like Boris is trying to get a deal as he knows his options are now "get a deal" or "resign". 

So in effect the actions of MPs trying to prevent no deal will likely work. 

Boris will bring back the NI only deal he has previously described as "a disgrace". Ironic!

Lets just summarise Boris' first proper week as PM - 6 parliamentary defeats. Now has been found by a court to have acted unlawfully and "misled the queen". 

Being serious - has any government ever had such a disastrous period as this and survived? Let alone in the space of a few days at their start of their government?

9 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Lets just summarise Boris' first proper week as PM - 6 parliamentary defeats. Now has been found by a court to have acted unlawfully and "misled the queen". 

Being serious - has any government ever had such a disastrous period as this and survived? Let alone in the space of a few days at their start of their government?

Fool

5 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Fool

Oh I forgot. In right wing extremist land where Cummings controls the messaging its all going well and we shouldn't be alarmed that our government is now questioning the impartiality of our legal system. Nothing sinister or worrying at all....

• Site Supporter

Choices he has, include accepting a weak deal from the EU as he knows he has no leverage any more. Debatable as to whether it would pass.

'At least we'd be out' mentality; similar to events surrounding the third vote previously.

Pragmatism or principles.

Whilst there is no opportunity to push the technological solutions with the EU; there's no need for them to hurry to agree.

The last vote contained an agreement to get it sorted alongside the implementation period, but didn't pass.

Until either the threat of no deal waking parties up, or it actually coming to pass, this route isn't going to be looked at in any haste.

22 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Most have the erg will have quietly been supporting ukip's view of leaving.

Not sure it's anything new that Boris isn't necessarily fulfilling all their expectations.

ERG & Brexit/UKIP both want no deal.

Boris doesn't want, and won't leave with no deal, there is his problem.

He's going to end up getting shafted by both sides

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Choices he has, include accepting a weak deal from the EU as he knows he has no leverage any more. Debatable as to whether it would pass.

'At least we'd be out' mentality; similar to events surrounding the third vote previously.

Pragmatism or principles.

Whilst there is no opportunity to push the technological solutions with the EU; there's no need for them to hurry to agree.

The last vote contained an agreement to get it sorted alongside the implementation period, but didn't pass.

Until either the threat of no deal waking parties up, or it actually coming to pass, this route isn't going to be looked at in any haste.

Might just be me but I’d take pragmatism over principles every day of the week. 

35 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Boris doesn't care. He wants whatever helps him be PM the longest. If he felt that was revoking tomorrow he'd do it. Hasn't got a single principle that isn't up for sale. 

And this will be the major tension whilst Brexit is ongoing his ERG allies and Cummings are kept more or less on board because Boris is playing the populist line. When or if crunch comes it might be different if he hasn't got a passable deal.

But then the more frightening thing for them will be post Brexit when all the Brexit fuelled right wing populism dies down. Boris will look at the political waves and decide if he wants to continue trying to ride that or suddenly once again become a one nation Tory and Amber Rudds bessie mate.

And I'm betting he will opt for the latter all things being equal because he will see it as his best chance to be electable again. 

Edited by bwfcfan5

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, mickbrown said:

Might just be me but I’d take pragmatism over principles every day of the week. 

Tend to agree. Although not great, I said at the time the deal should have been taken. Work on it once out. Wouldn't have had all this.

It should be remembered that the backstop was there in case technology wasn't ready.

I suppose the fear is that it could allow the EU to drag its feet over it all, though I'm not as concerned by it.

Whatever the outcome, utilising technology as a border solution is inevitable unless something hitherto unthought of, comes to light.

May as well get on with sorting it.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Sweep said:

Aye; I see Farage has issued adverts in the press for an election tie up, so long as he gets a clean break.

Pragmatism over principle again.

7 hours ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Says more about the people who voted against him then it does him.

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, royal white said:

Says more about the people who voted against him then it does him.

He is sounding absolutely desperate.

Unique situation (unless malc knows of previous). Was never going to get support, whilst in a minority situation.

Not sure what happens next.

Scottish courts opposite to English one. Crazy, unprecedented times.

2 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

I think the UK supreme court will rule next week if I heard the radio correctly earlier.

These are very strange times indeed, Brexit has seriously tested and strained our current political processes.

Correct and this why we do not have referendums as part of our processes. 

If we put aside Brexit the problem with a referendum is that there are very few questions that have binary options so before choosing which way you vote you get the details confirmed. 

If someone says ‘we are off for a few beers tomorrow do you want to come ?’ You are likely to want to know who is going  where they are going at what time and do you mean ‘out out’. 

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

He is sounding absolutely desperate.

Unique situation (unless malc knows of previous). Was never going to get support, whilst in a minority situation.

Not sure what happens next.

Scottish courts opposite to English one. Crazy, unprecedented times.

Pre-Cameron any PM would have called an election. But Cameron introduced the Fixed Term Parliament Act to show Clegg that he wouldn't pull the rug from under him with a snap election after 2 or 3 years. Then shafted him by concentrating on the LibDem seats when the fixed term elapsed.

Operation Yellowhammer.  Although this government paper describes the worst case scenario after a no deal brexit it is quite shocking all the same. Unbelievable that this government cannot be scrutinised by MPs in parliament for five weeks because of an unlawful decision by the PM.