Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

Just now, Norpig said:

i think the idea of an emergency Government is the best idea, Boris is like a bull in a china shop and can't be trusted to make a rational decision on anything other than what blonde he shags next.

There will be plenty of Tory MPs who won't want him leading them into the next GE now. He's had the worst spell I can remember any PM ever having. He gets away with it only partly because the leader of the opposition is useless. But if you are in a marginal seat - especially in the South - as a Tory MP - your leader has lost a string of parliamentary votes, lost his brother's support, lost cabinet members, thrown 21 of his own MPs out, been found to have misled the queen, faces allegations of impropriety with public money in his role as Mayor, and is trying to pit himself against everyone including the courts. Its not a place you'd want to be in a marginal Tory seat. 

Internal Tory polling suggested they would lose seats overall in a GE - so those MPs will be worried. 

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Salford Trotter said:

He knew exactly what he was doing and that was an attempt to shut up Parliament. 

My question was whether or not he broke the law given that the rules aren't written down. I didn't ask if he knew what he was doing because given that he's the Prime Minister, i would hope he did.

Perhaps he's seen an archaic law which he decided allowed him to do as he did,  much like the law which states that a Hackney Carriage is required to keep a bale of hay in the luggage compartment. I reckon if the police acted upon that I'm fairly sure the supreme court wouldn't uphold the law and would therefore deem it unlawful.

2 minutes ago, MickyD said:

My question was whether or not he broke the law given that the rules aren't written down. I didn't ask if he knew what he was doing because given that he's the Prime Minister, i would hope he did.

Perhaps he's seen an archaic law which he decided allowed him to do as he did,  much like the law which states that a Hackney Carriage is required to keep a bale of hay in the luggage compartment. I reckon if the police acted upon that I'm fairly sure the supreme court wouldn't uphold the law and would therefore deem it unlawful.

You are better off asking the Supreme Court that question as in their view he acted unlawfully. I haven't read the judgement but I expect Attorney General will be forced to publish his advice to Johnson in due course which will give us an insight into his thinking.  

6 minutes ago, MickyD said:

How can anyone break a law which is unknown?

the law is only now established 

26 minutes ago, Jol_BWFC said:

And if it’s a hung parliament, what then?

The difficulty is that the ability to prorogue at will could lead to the following scenario.

Corbyn wins an election but relies on SNP to have a majority. Very soon they demand an independence referendum, so he prorogues Parliament and rules via gatherings of the TUC etc.

Far fetched? Yes, but far from impossible.

You may remember Major proroguing to avoid discussion of the cash for questions scandal, but Attlee's fancy footwork was probably before your time.

• Site Supporter
24 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

You are better off asking the Supreme Court that question as in their view he acted unlawfully. I haven't read the judgement but I expect Attorney General will be forced to publish his advice to Johnson in due course which will give us an insight into his thinking.  

Supreme Court knows better than Wanderersways? Give your head a snake lad.  🤣

23 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

How can anyone break a law which is unknown?

the law is only now established 

My line of thinking

6 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Based on what evidence? Other than you don't like the decision they came to?

What actual evidence was offered that BJ prorogued to stop parliament debating Brexit? None whatsoever, only an admission from BJ or Cummings could prove that conclusively. 

Therefore without any concrete evidence I can only conclude it was politically motivated. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

8 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

What actual evidence was offered that BJ prorogued to stop parliament debating Brexit? None whatsoever, only an admission from BJ or Cummings could prove that conclusively. 

Therefore without any concrete evidence I can only conclude it was politically motivated. 

10 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

That's not how it works. The government had to produce evidence that there was a convincing reason to prorogue parliament for the length of time it did. It wasn't able to - because there isn't a more plausible reason other than to prevent it from being held to account.

You've got to be mightily blinkered to believe anything else as far as I'm concerned. 

1 minute ago, kent_white said:

That's not how it works. The government had to produce evidence that there was a convincing reason to prorogue parliament for the length of time it did. It wasn't able to - because there isn't a more plausible reason other than to prevent it from being held to account.

You've got to be mightily blinkered to believe anything else as far as I'm concerned. 

Thought in British law you had to be conclusively proven guilty.... seems not. 

He has admitted it though by saying the judgement was all about frustrating  Brexit. Can't be one without the other. 

This moves quickly. The above was in response to MK saying no evidence prorogued for Brexit. 

Edited by Nowack
Clarity

3 minutes ago, leigh white said:

Rather have a mythical oirish mon in power than a proven lying twat.:D

Corbyns just lied his way through that speech, shame he won’t get in power so we can hold him accountable for the lies he’s just spouted for the last hour. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

We need a written constitution in this country now. We can't carry on with things like this being as open to interpretation as they are regardless of whose side you are on in the Brexit debate.

None of what has happened today, however affects the very thing our friends in remainia hate to be reminded about. Leave 52% (17.4m) // Remain 48% (16.1m). We either leave the EU or we no longer live in a democracy. If you disagree, you don't believe in democracy either - which means you're well suited to an organisation like the EU.

• Site Supporter

Corbyn’s speech was piss and wind to keep the unions onside 

Standard Labour stuff really.

Mounts, BoJo acted unlawfully according to the highest court in the land.

11-0 on the judge count.

You simply have to accept they are right and move on. You’re being undemocratic otherwise.