Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

38 minutes ago, leigh white said:

So town centre Bolton will revert back to when it was under Labour Control cutting it back to another fucking 10 years of austerity under Tory rule making.

Town centres evolve 

If you look back at say Bolton or Wigan town centre a hundred years ago it was probably butchers and shoemakers and the like that dominated

In the 80s and 90s it could be clothes shops, music shops or books

Now it's bookies, vape shops and Costa coffee 

Every generation has probably moaned about how a town centre has changed from how they fondly remember ut

3 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

Town centres evolve 

If you look back at say Bolton or Wigan town centre a hundred years ago it was probably butchers and shoemakers and the like that dominated

In the 80s and 90s it could be clothes shops, music shops or books

Now it's bookies, vape shops and Costa coffee 

Every generation has probably moaned about how a town centre has changed from how they fondly remember ut

Just waiting for a trolley bus back from Bolton with my mam was the highlight of my childhood years.

Speculation and conjecture. Read the article and it is devoid of any tangible analysis to back up his claims. For the record I met mr Hanson a few years ago. He’s a very clever bloke

but the basis on which he was made his calculation just appears finger in the air. Truth is for every article like this another economist will have the polar opposite opinion 

Just now, Escobarp said:

Speculation and conjecture. Read the article and it is devoid of any tangible analysis to back up his claims. For the record I met mr Hanson a few years ago. He’s a very clever bloke

but the basis on which he was made his calculation just appears finger in the air. Truth is for every article like this another economist will have the polar opposite opinion 

Wonder if he saw 20087/08 coming?

• Members
6 hours ago, leigh white said:

When it all start's going pair shaped for the UK, I will listen on here for the fun and games.😃

'Pair' shaped? You think GDP will double? Wildly optimistic but I am pleased that you can now see the positives.

15 hours ago, bolty58 said:

'Pair' shaped? You think GDP will double? Wildly optimistic but I am pleased that you can now see the positives.

Mick's gone pear shaped since the Blue Flag was raised in Leigh, Wigan 🏳🏳🏳🏳🔊🔊🔊🧹

I spoke to him on the phone on friday, poor lad wasn't himself and said he wouldn't go on the train with me as he wouldn't be able to hold it together. He will be fine in 10 years time, I assured him 😊🔪

Read about a bloke who is moving to Amsterdam to get away from us all (not job related)

Some of the reply’s only fuel his fire.

Conclusion= plenty of weirdos on both sides.

Living here is pretty good imo. I’m not convinced all seeking pastures new for political reasons will enjoy their travels as much as they bang on.

9 hours ago, boltondiver said:

Roger Scruton, RIP

A true conservative intellect. Someone who understood clearly our inheritance in this country that politicians and the law of the land are the servants of the people, not the other way around. Someone who opposed lefty group-think with rational argument. He will be missed.

On 11/01/2020 at 22:37, Escobarp said:

This is based on Bloomberg analysis using the average UK GDP G7 gap. 

It isn't based on "nothing". It was a team of economists mapping historical UK GDP vs G7. Aleady we've lost 3% GDP which accounts for $170Bn. 

You're not going to accept it and you're going to argue it would have happened anyway, that the dip from 2016 to now is just one of those things. Which is why I didn't bother posting the full original analysis published last week. But to me its a bit like climate change denial. Clearly something unprecedented has happened and shaved a lot off the economy. People aren't going to accept it for a decade at least so we just have to make the best of a bad situation. 

9 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

This is based on Bloomberg analysis using the average UK GDP G7 gap. 

It isn't based on "nothing". It was a team of economists mapping historical UK GDP vs G7. Aleady we've lost 3% GDP which accounts for $170Bn. 

You're not going to accept it and you're going to argue it would have happened anyway, that the dip from 2016 to now is just one of those things. Which is why I didn't bother posting the full original analysis published last week. But to me its a bit like climate change denial. Clearly something unprecedented has happened and shaved a lot off the economy. People aren't going to accept it for a decade at least so we just have to make the best of a bad situation. 

Growth rates need historical context

Saying the UK is growing faster or slower than other economies isn’t very illuminating. It’s also relevant to ask where the UK is growing from.

In 2008 and 2009, countries across the world went into recession as part of a global financial crisis. The UK had one of the largest falls in economic output among the G7, and for the first few years recovered slowly.

Recession_and_recovery_cclooz7.png

That partly explains why, from 2013 to 2016, UK growth was among the strongest of the G7, as its path of recovery since the crisis returned to par.

Simply quoting figures on growth won’t tell the full story.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

As I’ve said previously you are an expert in almost every topic on here in your own mind it would appear. In reality none. At least give some balance to your constant anti brexit anti tory posts and folk may listen to you more. 

Fuck that. Parky is a genius remember

8 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

As I’ve said previously you are an expert in almost every topic on here in your own mind it would appear. In reality none. At least give some balance to your constant anti brexit anti tory posts and folk may listen to you more. 

They looked at UK average position relative to G7 not just a 2015 to now comparison. The point is our relative performance is lower than the historical average. 

2 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

They looked at UK average position relative to G7 not just a 2015 to now comparison. The point is our relative performance is lower than the historical average. 

That graph doesn’t just show 2015 to now does it? Does that not add context to this? 

and as I said pages and pages ago.  Gdp isn’t a single true measure of all things great. It’s crucial yes but if you and others  think posting simple gdp figures constantly is going to prove anything you’re sadly mistaken 

55 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

That graph doesn’t just show 2015 to now does it? Does that not add context to this? 

and as I said pages and pages ago.  Gdp isn’t a single true measure of all things great. It’s crucial yes but if you and others  think posting simple gdp figures constantly is going to prove anything you’re sadly mistaken 

What other measures do you want to use for the relative performance of our economy vs our international peers?

• Site Supporter

Just to help both sides of this rather dull argument, was an agreement ever reached on which figures everyone can use to win/lose?

you're all going round in massive circles.

If it’s GDP, then run with that.

1 hour ago, Spider said:

Just to help both sides of this rather dull argument, was an agreement ever reached on which figures everyone can use to win/lose?

you're all going round in massive circles.

If it’s GDP, then run with that.

Let’s count votes in 2016

Or the most recent GE

8 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

That's what it boils down to. You've won. You don't want to know who was right. But sadly the reckoning is coming either way for one side or another eventually. 

I don’t think I’ve ever come across as “I’ve won” (hopefully)

But, given the issues, then they are the facts we have.

Who is right? Well, we’ll find out in the fullness of time. 

Edited by boltondiver

12 hours ago, boltondiver said:

So to counter a significant piece of research you're using an opinion piece by an ex-UKIP candidate? 
This is the problem - and why we find ourselves in this position. He even starts off relatively well before tailing off into the generic and oh so familiar Brexitisms of "well experts why listen to them if they aren't telling us what we want to hear?"