Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

3 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

The reference about being an economist wasn’t to say he was right. They’re (to use TMGJ’s phrase) skewed by their very title.

Insider isn’t known for being political and I’m yet to see any evidence that Hanson’s view is biased.

Just now, jules_darby said:

The reference about being an economist wasn’t to say he was right. They’re (to use TMGJ’s phrase) skewed by their very title.

Insider isn’t known for being political and I’m yet to see any evidence that Hanson’s view is biased.

Apologies. 

ive met hanson. Albeit a long time ago now. 

he is massively against brexit. It is analysis that is full of if what’s and maybes. As is most analysis projecting anything which as a CEO of a business you will know your self 

2 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

I hear you re the smaller base but what about growth potential?

what if the changes made (using my real life examples) led to a business that generated turnover and profits way in excess of what the previous Incarnation of the business would ever have achieved. 

And as I said there will growth potential for some companies and not for others. But if you grow 10%, 20% or whatever it will always be a smaller revenue opportunity than it could have been. There will be many companies that want to invest but just can't risk ploughing funds into infrastructure, product development and human resources without the visibility of what sort of trade deal, if any, we will end up with. Spider's case is a good example of EU customers that haven't stood still and are choosing who they deal with. If we do get a trade deal and his company win back those contracts in say 3 years time he will never recoup the lost business, that ship sailed some months ago

1 minute ago, Escobarp said:

Apologies. 

ive met hanson. Albeit a long time ago now. 

he is massively against brexit. It is analysis that is full of if what’s and maybes. As is most analysis projecting anything which as a CEO of a business you will know your self 

If you know him and you know he’s massively against Brexit then fair play.
My point was that every argument against your perspective isn’t necessarily skewed.

Ifs and buts? Always. Fuck loads. But plenty smarter than me know what’s likely. 

1 minute ago, Salford Trotter said:

And as I said there will growth potential for some companies and not for others. But if you grow 10%, 20% or whatever it will always be a smaller revenue opportunity than it could have been. There will be many companies that want to invest but just can't risk ploughing funds into infrastructure, product development and human resources without the visibility of what sort of trade deal, if any, we will end up with. Spider's case is a good example of EU customers that haven't stood still and are choosing who they deal with. If we do get a trade deal and his company win back those contracts in say 3 years time he will never recoup the lost business, that ship sailed some months ago

If if if......

Just now, jules_darby said:

If you know him and you know he’s massively against Brexit then fair play.
My point was that every argument against your perspective isn’t necessarily skewed.

Ifs and buts? Always. Fuck loads. But plenty smarter than me know what’s likely. 

I met him once that’s all.

thing with brexit as I’ve always argued is nobody knows what’s going to happen. As it’s never happened before and it’s the complete Unknown. So when there articles and analysis both pro and anti come out with conjecture and speculation they just get on my tits a touch 

3 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

I disagree. All businesses have a ceiling of potential. If you carry on doing the same things the market you are in is only capable of sustaining so much growth before you reach that ceiling.  Unless you diversify or change market. 

which in essence is what the UK is doing and this the ceiling raises potentially. So I agree you start from a smaller base but with bigger potential thus it is recoverable 

Just now, Escobarp said:

I disagree. All businesses have a ceiling of potential. If you carry on doing the same things the market you are in is only capable of sustaining so much growth before you reach that ceiling.  Unless you diversify or change market. 

which in essence is what the UK is doing and this the ceiling raises potentially. So I agree you start from a smaller base but with bigger potential thus it is recoverable 

You are missing my point Stu, I am not talking about future growth opportunities, they will come or not who knows what will happen. The business revenue you have lost never returns. Spider's case is a prime example, he will never get back those lost orders ever. He may win the contract back and it maybe bigger than ever but that lost revenue is history so his business will have to grow from a smaller base. 

4 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

But and whilst it’s a pisser for spider there will be others businesses benefiting. You are giving a one dimensional view 

I'm not mate you maybe not seeing my point because I haven't explained it well enough but if you think it through you will understand where I am coming from

• Site Supporter

The skewing, as per a lot of such comments, comes from the fact that if we had left years ago, and not been in an economic stasis as a result of uncertainty, and pushed further towards no deal and it's necessary planning and investment, then these "losses" wouldn't have arisen to the extent they have.

On that basis, I'd put much of the blame on those duplicitous individuals who did nothing but try to stop the process. The same ones who now like to put the issue down to brexit itself. 

Moreover, unless someone has access to the parallel universe, where we remained, and this proper economic comparison is possible, then I'll remain sceptical as to any "economists" ramblings. That includes ones that go a long way the other way.

Once it happens, and we've been down the road a little while, I'll judge its effect then. Not until.

4 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

You are missing my point Stu, I am not talking about future growth opportunities, they will come or not who knows what will happen. The business revenue you have lost never returns. Spider's case is a prime example, he will never get back those lost orders ever. He may win the contract back and it maybe bigger than ever but that lost revenue is history so his business will have to grow from a smaller base. 

No mate I hear you. 

but use an example. Coy turns over 10m drops to 6m After brexit but then 5 years later is doing 20m by exporting all over the world. They won’t get back the 4m they lost in year one post brexit but if you total the cumulative numbers post that point it shows a positive outcome  and they’ve recouped them exponentially 

Edited by Escobarp

End of the day nobody knows what is going to happen. It’s a massive gamble we’ve taken as a nation but we will only know if it’s paid off in the future and I think it’s best left as a debate until we actually see what has happened rather than projecting and speculating