Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

Just now, miamiwhite said:

not a whoosh, I just don't entertain banal bravado from inbred Wiganers 😆 

I'm on the choo choo tomorrow if you're around pal ? Think I'm on the 10-25

Ha ha, yeah on the same train to Lancaster, will be in Harry's Bar pre departure, i'll bring you an ice cold tin of Strongbow.

• Members
On 11/09/2020 at 17:52, Sweep said:

I get that, but we've voted in successive Governments during that time who have been happy enough it seems, especially, as far as I can tell, they've happily voted on and agreed most everything that's been implemented and led us to where we currently are. So have Brussels pushed us around for the last 40 years because we've been too weak as a nation to push back until now?

Probably yes. A bit of the "well we are doing alright" attitude that has seemed prevalent on here as Remainer justifications.

Hopefully the die is cast and we are far sighted enough to get out before the cracks really start to show. Indie music. Indie Nation. Indie bag.

On 11/09/2020 at 13:05, Spider said:

November will be awful. I know loads of people on standby for redundancy. Loads.

Good people too, smart, well qualified types who are genuinely preparing to take any work they can get.

Might be some very overskilled baristas about soon. And I'm not joking.

thats why they are thinking about extending. November is going to be a shit show, thousands, including my other half, unemployed. 

In other news I found out this week that the patron of my new employer is the queen. Thats what you get for saving the nations art I suppose.

What I genuinely find surprising is that ardent Brexiteers are not all over Boris and his boys. 
The handling of the virus has been chaotic. Brexit is going to down a similar hole. If you think Brexit is a good idea surely you want it done well. 
It is like suggesting anal to a bird and being happy as she gets out the strap on. 

Not been on this thread since January or February. 

The EU seems frightened to death of us. It's the desperation for us to stay as aligned to them as possible that really gives the game away about the bunker mentality prevailing in Brussels. 

It can only be because in their heart of hearts they know that if we control our own destiny we can create bespoke trading arrangements with the vast areas of the world outside the EU and manage our own economy exactly as we see fit and purely for our own benefit and future success. 

They don't want us to be success because when others see the potential they will want to get out as well. End of EU, end of gravy train. 

All those haughty lectures on here during 2016-2019 from people who told us all those other nations wouldn't take us seriously. And then we go and sign one with the world's 3rd biggest economy that puts the EU's arrangement with the Japanese in the shade. Well down the line with the US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand too. Exciting times.

It must have been a bleak moment for arch-remainers and the EU when the Japan deal was rubber-stamped. Gina Miller must have been crying in to her Prosecco. More to come dear friends, more to come.

If there's one thing you can guarantee about remainers it is that they'll always end up being proved wrong sooner or later. You'll now spend Winter praying for economic collapse and blaming the impacts of the pandemic on Brexit.

This is what it has come to in your bleak world. Compare that to your arrogance a year ago when you thought you were going to thwart Brexit altogether via Hammond, Bercow, Sturgeon and Swinson. What a decline. 

Edited by paulhanley

13 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

You'll now spend Winter praying for economic collapse and blaming the impacts of the pandemic on Brexit.

Do you really believe that? I don't think even the most ardent remainder on here thinks anything of the sort. 

Do you genuinely believe that we're in a better position to ride out the economic uncertainty of COVID out of the EU?

• Site Supporter
22 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

The EU seems frightened to death of us. It's the desperation for us to stay as aligned to them as possible that really gives the game away about the bunker mentality prevailing in Brussels. 

It can only be because in their heart of hearts they know that if we control our own destiny we can create bespoke trading arrangements with the vast areas of the world outside the EU and manage our own economy exactly as we see fit and purely for our own benefit and future success. 

They don't want us to be success because when others see the potential they will want to get out as well. End of EU, end of gravy train. 

All those haughty lectures on here during 2016-2019 from people who told us all those other nations wouldn't take us seriously. And then we go and sign one with the world's 3rd biggest economy that puts the EU's arrangement with the Japanese in the shade. Well down the line with the US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand too. Exciting times.

It must have been a bleak moment for arch-remainers and the EU when the Japan deal was rubber-stamped. Gina Miller must have been crying in to her Prosecco. More to come dear friends, more to come.

If there's one thing you can guarantee about remainers it is that they'll always end up being proved wrong sooner or later. You'll now spend Winter praying for economic collapse and blaming the impacts of the pandemic on Brexit.

This is what it has come to in your bleak world. Compare that to your arrogance a year ago when you thought you were going to thwart Brexit altogether via Hammond, Bercow, Sturgeon and Swinson. What a decline. 

I much prefer your work on old Wanderers videos than this delusional fantasy nonsense.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Do you really believe that? I don't think even the most ardent remainder on here thinks anything of the sort. 

Do you genuinely believe that we're in a better position to ride out the economic uncertainty of COVID out of the EU?

EU nations all did their own thing to combat coronavirus, being in the eu didn’t really have much influence initially. Borders closed, each with their own methods. Each scrabbling around for PPE from wherever.

Only input of note has been agreeing a covid fund, which became a little toxic in its creation with hugely differing opinions.

We'll not know if being in the eu would have seen anything different as to where we are now.

Post covid, I'm not seeing anything to say it'll be more or less difficult to ride out economic difficulties as everyone is in a similar situation. 

Just hope we can get Canada sorted quickly as we may need to buy some more wheat off them, and it presumably it would be a bit cheaper.

British wheat harvest could be 40% down this year.

14 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Yes. 

Why don't you try pooling your resources with 27 of your neighbours and seeing how often you get decisions back that suit your own precise circumstances? You won't. You'll get messy compromises that will over time infuriate you because you know if it was left to you, you could be more nimble and expeditious and act with alacrity. 

This is the eternal debate on EU membership vs sovereignty and nation statehood.

2 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Have I? What have I been wrong about?

You and your remainer chums said: 

* We'd be on the breadline as a result of a Brexit vote alone. A year long recession was meant to happen. 

* House prices were to fall, unemployment was to rise dramatically.

* Every household was to be £4,300 worse off

* We'd never sign trade deals with other countries, this was unrealistic. They'd never take us seriously and we'd be right at the back of the queue.

* We'd never get anything through parliament because it was controlled by remainers 

* The EU would only accept the softest of Brexits

* An emergency punishment budget would be required and our GDP would shrink backwards every year directly as a result of Brexit

Of course I can't prove you in person said every one of these. But people with your view did. 

Dearest Cheesey weesey - you and your friends keep trotting out the myths, we'll keep busting them. One by one.

15 minutes ago, jmjhb said:

Why is it always "us Vs them" nonsense?

Agreed.  It seems like most folk these days, irrespective of how they voted at the time, genuinely want the UK to go into, and get through this, in the best shape possible.

The Irish issue seems the stickiest issue to be able to extract ourselves from, and potentially a spanner in the works for future Anglo/US trade agreements. 

• Site Supporter
38 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

You and your remainer chums said: 

* We'd be on the breadline as a result of a Brexit vote alone. A year long recession was meant to happen. 

* House prices were to fall, unemployment was to rise dramatically.

* Every household was to be £4,300 worse off

* We'd never sign trade deals with other countries, this was unrealistic. They'd never take us seriously and we'd be right at the back of the queue.

* We'd never get anything through parliament because it was controlled by remainers 

* The EU would only accept the softest of Brexits

* An emergency punishment budget would be required and our GDP would shrink backwards every year directly as a result of Brexit

Of course I can't prove you in person said every one of these. But people with your view did. 

Dearest Cheesey weesey - you and your friends keep trotting out the myths, we'll keep busting them. One by one.

Again, you are fantasising. The only predictions I've made are that we wouldn't leave the EU before 2020 (which we didn't), and that we'd be leaving with No Deal (which is looking very likely). 

1 hour ago, paulhanley said:

Yes. 

Why don't you try pooling your resources with 27 of your neighbours and seeing how often you get decisions back that suit your own precise circumstances? You won't. You'll get messy compromises that will over time infuriate you because you know if it was left to you, you could be more nimble and expeditious and act with alacrity. 

This is the eternal debate on EU membership vs sovereignty and nation statehood.

Fair enough. Whatever we I toss it up - I can only see it making things more difficult. Especially if we do leave with no trade deal. Time will tell I suppose! 

Just now, kent_white said:

Fair enough. Whatever we I toss it up - I can only see it making things more difficult. Especially if we do leave with no trade deal. Time will tell I suppose! 

We’ll be fine! 

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, paulhanley said:

Fucking hell, you have clearly been in your Brexit echo chamber.

I think we all want things to go well otherwise we are just cutting our nose off to spite our face.

However, the Japanese deal is good news but still represents a tiny amount of our trade. Yes we can increase trade but the fact is they are thousands of miles away.

I want a good deal with our close neighbours as it is quicker, easier, more profitable and more environmentally friendly to trade with them.

I just hope we sort something out because Covid + No Deal would be absolutely catastrophic for our service economy.