Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

• Site Supporter
20 minutes ago, green genie said:

That refers to a decision made for the Cold War. Sailing from UK likely to take you south and east these days.

We don't scramble Typhoon's on an almost-daily basis to intercept Iranian bombers/reconnaissance aircraft. The nuclear deterrant is still by far the most important aspect of our military power. If our subs were operated out of Plymouth, they would no longer be a deterrent.

Edited by Cheese

38 minutes ago, Cheese said:

We don't scramble Typhoon's on an almost-daily basis to intercept Iranian bombers/reconnaissance aircraft. The nuclear deterrant is still by far the most important aspect of our military power. If our subs were operated out of Plymouth, they would no longer be a deterrent.

Why? It's the two (three if you are lucky) at sea that are the deterrent not the one i've stood underneath in 5 Basin Devonport.

58 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I don't understand that Cheese. 

Why do you figure they would no longer be a deterrent? 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, leigh white said:

Open day at BAE Barrow climbing into a sub was an experience, and i thought it was cramped down the pit.

An old diesel powered sub came down Manchester Ship Canal in the late 60s or very early 70s. My dad took me and our kid to see it. 

• Site Supporter
33 minutes ago, green genie said:

Why? It's the two (three if you are lucky) at sea that are the deterrent not the one i've stood underneath in 5 Basin Devonport.

17 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I don't understand that Cheese. 

Why do you figure they would no longer be a deterrent? 

Because their effectivity relies on them not taking an extra week to return to dock when they have a maintenance issue. Our nuclear deterrent operates on an exteremely fine line as it is. It doesn't matter.

3 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Brilliant pics those, only time i travelled on the MSC was with a trip from junior school from Liverpool to Manc in 64, the whole journey was an hive of activity with all the industry in the big towns alongside the canal.

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

Nuclear deterrents are bollocks anyway

No one is pressing the button that means the end of the world so to speak

Why would putin, for example, press the button if it meant one came right back at him

That's the entire point.

I can highly recommend the book "The Bomb" by Fred Kaplan. It is terrifying but explains in great detail how we got to this position, and how we can, unfortunately, never go back.

Edited by Cheese

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, ZicoKelly said:

Nuclear deterrents are bollocks anyway

No one is pressing the button that means the end of the world so to speak

Why would putin, for example, press the button if it meant one came right back at him

But surely that’s why ours; and every other nuclear super power IS a deterrent. If only Russia had them then they’d face no deterrent.

6 minutes ago, leigh white said:

Brilliant pics those, only time i travelled on the MSC was with a trip from junior school from Liverpool to Manc in 64, the whole journey was an hive of activity with all the industry in the big towns alongside the canal.

Just tried to pm you but it says you can't receive messages.