Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

Our nuclear deterrent is only there because of our old colonial, post WWII, cold war history.  We'll never be allowed to use it without the say so of the US anyway. 

We'd be far better off doing what the rest of Western Europe does (bar France) & sacking it off altogether. Spend the umpteen squillion it's going to take to replace Trident, on renewable energy sources instead.

Edited by Duck Egg

• Site Supporter
45 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Our nuclear deterrent is only there because of our old colonial, post WWII, cold war history.  We'll never be allowed to use it without the say so of the US anyway. 

We'd be far better off doing what the rest of Western Europe does (bar France) & sacking it off altogether. Spend the umpteen squillion it's going to take to replace Trident, on renewable energy sources instead.

Over the years, I've toyed with this idea.

Would anyone actually use it?

At one point I was probably just about in the get rid camp.

Now I reckon I'm back the other way. Just.

As I said above, Putin is a cunt, but arguably North Korea and Iran are two more dangerous places with regard to nuclear weapons. Both seem determined to get there and have loons at the helm.

One of the benefits of Brexit is we can climb down from this ridiculous old super power delusion and happily nestle into world power medioctrity. Much rather a high standard of living Scandinavian type country than constantly trying to remain relevent as a world power. 

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, Nowack said:

One of the benefits of Brexit is we can climb down from this ridiculous old super power delusion and happily nestle into world power medioctrity. Much rather a high standard of living Scandinavian type country than constantly trying to remain relevent as a world power. 

High standard of living equates to high cost of living. On a trip to Iceland a few years ago I was talking to a guy behind the bar. He was on minimum wage of £17.50/hour. That’s probably double ours. The cost of living is excessive because their government sees visiting tourists as a cash cow. Charge high, get the visitor money in and share that out as tax exemptions for indigenous Icelandic folk.

UK is probably a more accessible tourist destination than Iceland. Do we have visitor tax the way just about every country has?

51 minutes ago, MickyD said:

High standard of living equates to high cost of living. On a trip to Iceland a few years ago I was talking to a guy behind the bar. He was on minimum wage of £17.50/hour. That’s probably double ours. The cost of living is excessive because their government sees visiting tourists as a cash cow. Charge high, get the visitor money in and share that out as tax exemptions for indigenous Icelandic folk.

UK is probably a more accessible tourist destination than Iceland. Do we have visitor tax the way just about every country has?

I think being a sub polar island in the middle of nowhere is the biggest driver for the cost of living in Iceland. They have to import everything apart from energy and fish.

• Members
On 16/09/2020 at 17:30, Sweep said:

I think most want this over and done with - sadly, it's not proving to be as easy as it was implied. At some point, it looks like we're in for a bit of pain, it won't be seamless.

A major issue here, and I know you've got Boris down as a Winston Churchill type character (although to be fair, you did also say May was Thatcher like) but he really doesn't inspire confidence. Even Mounts has said he'd like to see Boris gone after we finally get Brexit done.....and this will happen, as the Tory party will have to get rid of him, as he seems to be utterly inept.

I've no doubt the UK will make a success of things moving forward, and our leaving will force reform in the EU, which is a good thing, it'd just be nice it things were straight forward. Even a blind man can see that to sign a deal and claim it to be "oven ready" and then to row back on that within 9 months isn't ideal. Unless we extend the transition period, then we've only got just over 100 days until we potentially enter the world of WTO, which people on both sides agree we don't really want. I know that you've said in the past that you would have no problem with it, but that's fine for you to say when you're sat on the other side of the world. Those of us who live and work here are a little concerned, as we can see a shitstorm on the horizon, that we'll have to deal with for the next 5 or 10 years

I am a Bolton Wanderers supporter. Supreme optimism is in my DNA.

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

I think being a sub polar island in the middle of nowhere is the biggest driver for the cost of living in Iceland. They have to import everything apart from energy and fish.

They’re surprisingly self sufficient. Market gardening is done on a massive scale with giant greenhouses heated by the free geothermal energy. 

13 hours ago, Cheese said:

Yeah. We should just build a nuclear missile silo in Newcastle.

I'm not suggesting that. But I just can't believe that there are no other conceivable options to base Trident other than the Clyde. 

They might not be optimal - but that's what happens if you break up a union for no good reason.

1 hour ago, kent_white said:

I'm not suggesting that. But I just can't believe that there are no other conceivable options to base Trident other than the Clyde. 

They might not be optimal - but that's what happens if you break up a union for no good reason.

The reason of the scots leaving the union would in their eyes be for very good reason mate. 

• Site Supporter
28 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Not for me it wouldn't. If Brexit ends up leading to the breakup of the UK then that would be a massive betrayal in my eyes. 

No UK government is going to push for it- would be political suicide.

However plenty of Scots wanted out well before brexit. SNP will continue to fight for it, and if at some point they do vote out, then that's their decision. 

Be interesting to see what a uk wide referendum offering scotland independence would result in. 

Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

No UK government is going to push for it- would be political suicide.

However plenty of Scots wanted out well before brexit. SNP will continue to fight for it, and if at some point they do vote out, then that's their decision. 

Be interesting to see what a uk wide referendum offering scotland independence would result in. 

Leaving the EU has made it an inevitability as far as I'm concerned. It's just a matter of time now. And when it happens - we'll be weaker as a result. I've said this since we'll before Brexit. It was one of my reasons for voting remain. I value the UK.