Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

I think we will get a free trade deal if we accept concessions on fishing rights, EU food standards (including animal welfare) and state aid rules or trade subsidies. As a consumer I’d be much happier knowing that we are maintaining the high standards set by the EU in this respect. The other thing will be how to operate the Irish border without compromising the GFA. Fingers crossed sense prevails.

• Site Supporter
55 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

I think we will get a free trade deal if we accept concessions on fishing rights, EU food standards (including animal welfare) and state aid rules or trade subsidies. As a consumer I’d be much happier knowing that we are maintaining the high standards set by the EU in this respect. The other thing will be how to operate the Irish border without compromising the GFA. Fingers crossed sense prevails.

Much of the work on standards currently within the EU was heavily influenced by the UK.

The EU standards are already in law under the withdrawal act. They will be improved by banning live animal transport. 

The trade and agriculture commission has been put on a statutory footing, so they can bring deals to parliament to be voted on and ratified. This stops an individual minister accepting poor standards.

The debate over the relevant act was very interesting and allows for flexibility in agreements with other countries: for example in creating structured tariffs which vary as products are produced in more environmentally safe ways.

2 hours ago, Farrelli said:

The other thing will be how to operate the Irish border without compromising the GFA. Fingers crossed sense prevails.

Has anyone come up with a workable solution that is acceptable to the UK, EU, NI and Ireland?

There's so much riding on this issue now it's remarkable it was barely mentioned up to and beyond the referendum.

• Site Supporter

My Irish contacts are now sourcing as much as they can from the EU

We just have to hope it all fails and they can come back to us.

A lot of it is hope. And guesswork.

But we’ve no other choice than to keep our fingers crossed and hope the Bullingdon Club are capable.

On 08/11/2020 at 20:16, Spider said:

My Irish contacts are now sourcing as much as they can from the EU

We just have to hope it all fails and they can come back to us.

A lot of it is hope. And guesswork.

But we’ve no other choice than to keep our fingers crossed and hope the Bullingdon Club are capable.

Talking of bombs...........the reaction starts in 3...2...1

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1358179/brexit-news-uk-eu-house-of-lords-Claire-Fox-internal-market-bill-boris-johnson

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, miamiwhite said:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1358059/pfizer-coronavirus-vaccine-eu-deal-boris-johnson-uk-doses

Shall put it on here too, clearly shows we can move quicker than the unanimity of the EU.

Maybe we've paid over the odds, while the EU are negotiating a better deal? Seeing as the vaccine isn't even approved or available, this doesn't seem like something to celebrate just yet. We'll see in good time. 

• Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
10 hours ago, miamiwhite said:

That article simply reports on the feelings of one of the peers.

Didn't the vote go against her anyway?

Guest Nordkurve
51 minutes ago, Ani said:

Anyone saying the UK having 20m vaccines on order and the EU having 0 is not a major plus for Brexiteers is talking out of their arse. 

If nothing else it is PR delight for Brexit. 

The EU do have Vaccines on order from Pfizer, but they are waiting on further testing results before they will be stockpiled and used. In Germany (which was involved in this Vaccine) they are saying it won't be given out before the end of the year after another round of testing. I don't think bringing Brexit in to this is even remotely relevant unless they plan to give it to Fish and hope that it makes all  the little fuckers swim in to UK waters.

33 minutes ago, Nordkurve said:

The EU do have Vaccines on order from Pfizer, but they are waiting on further testing results before they will be stockpiled and used. In Germany (which was involved in this Vaccine) they are saying it won't be given out before the end of the year after another round of testing. I don't think bringing Brexit in to this is even remotely relevant unless they plan to give it to Fish and hope that it makes all  the little fuckers swim in to UK waters.

I think if you are talking about the UK having more flexibility outside the EU than within it it is totally about Brexit. 
If the article is correct and the EU have not signed a contract yet I bet they wish they had.