Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

1 minute ago, Winchester White said:

Reports are that Sunak is pushing Johnson heavily to compromise with the EU and land a deal. Bloody hope he knocks some economic sense into that thick skull of Bozo.

But but but there is no deal we are going no deal. Do you not listen to the usual suspects man FFS! 

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Why’s it always the U.K. that needs to see sense? It’s a 2 way street. 

It is a compromise so both sides need to see sense.  The reports are that Johnson is holding firm on something in the proposals that Sunak is trying to convince him to budge a little on.

It is a 2 way street you are correct, at one end is us with a population of 65 million and the other the EU with 448 million.

That doesn't mean we have to accept everything the EU want but it means we do not hold all the cards either.

29 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

Reports are that Sunak is pushing Johnson heavily to compromise with the EU and land a deal. Bloody hope he knocks some economic sense into that thick skull of Bozo.

Hopefully he succeeds. I think Cummings going has paved the way for this to happen now and whilst it won't be as good as what we had it is infinitely better than no deal. 

Just now, Winchester White said:

It is a compromise so both sides need to see sense.  The reports are that Johnson is holding firm on something in the proposals that Sunak is trying to convince him to budge a little on.

It is a 2 way street you are correct, at one end is us with a population of 65 million and the other the EU with 448 million.

That doesn't mean we have to accept everything the EU want but it means we do not hold all the cards either.

Nice to see you agreeing it’s not just our side that needs to compromise, they can have access to fish for me but any interference by ECJ, level playing field, state aid and they can get to fuck. 

1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Nice to see you agreeing it’s not just our side that needs to compromise, they can have access to fish for me but any interference by ECJ, level playing field, state aid and they can get to fuck. 

I think this is one of the main sticking points - we don't have long to wait now. Cummings going I believe means we are a lot less likely to go no deal, which is a good thing. Fingers crossed both sides see sense and get a deal struck to that we can move on. It's bonkers that we're only a few weeks away, and businesses still have no idea what they will or won't need to be doing from 1st January

1 hour ago, Spider said:

It’ll be an EU-Lite deal.

Our fishermen will be unhappy is my prediction 

They can be as unhappy as they like, nobody really gives a fuck about them  -  I'd imagine they're the one's that will be thrown under the proverbial bus, so to speak, in any deal that's agreed

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, paulhanley said:

"Nobody gives a fuck about them". That's nice.

I wonder if this attitude had anything to do with voting trends in recent general elections or referendums? 

Common theme.

Small sectors aren't important, so fuck them all.

Dave Brailsford would be shaking his head.

As we go into the next few decades, fish may well become a more important part of the British diet again, from a health perspective, and possibly even more importantly, an environmental perspective. 

50 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Common theme.

Small sectors aren't important, so fuck them all.

Dave Brailsford would be shaking his head.

As we go into the next few decades, fish may well become a more important part of the British diet again, from a health perspective, and possibly even more importantly, an environmental perspective. 

And most of our coastal areas are fucked. Dave Brailsford is a good mention in this type of context.

I was also however driving at the marginalisation of working people outside big cities. The polar opposite of the metropolitan elite. Liberals need to start listening to them. Instead they carry on sneering at them. Then they are shocked when election don't turn out the way they'd like. What's the saying of Einstein's about doing the same thing over and over and yet expecting different results?

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

And most of our coastal areas are fucked. Dave Brailsford is a good mention in this type of context.

I was also however driving at the marginalisation of working people outside big cities. The polar opposite of the metropolitan elite. Liberals need to start listening to them. Instead they carry on sneering at them. Then they are shocked when election don't turn out the way they'd like. What's the saying of Einstein's about doing the same thing over and over and yet expecting different results?

Aye. Contributed to the leave campaign. 

Some interesting cross party stuff going on at the moment with regard to getting former industrial centres back into production mode again.

Hoping for some positive outcomes.

8 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Aye. Contributed to the leave campaign. 

Some interesting cross party stuff going on at the moment with regard to getting former industrial centres back into production mode again.

Hoping for some positive outcomes.

The economy has long needed rebalancing at home and the world has changed hugely since we joined the EEC. Just don't tell Steve Bray or Gina Miller.

12 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

They love the EU. Love is blind.

Fair enough but if someone told them and explained it properly, then they might change their mind. I'm surprised you want to keep this sort of information from people. You rant on about this issue, but don't want people to know all the facts, which seems odd.

Just now, Sweep said:

Fair enough but if someone told them and explained it properly, then they might change their mind. I'm surprised you want to keep this sort of information from people. You rant on about this issue, but don't want people to know all the facts, which seems odd.

What seems odd is your inability to pick out irony. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say it's not as easy with the written word as when you hear the tone of voice.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, paulhanley said:

They love the EU. Love is blind.

To be fair to Gina Miller, her legal challenge rightly put Parliament responsible for triggering A50.  Don't get me wrong, I am sure she was a remainer but legally she was bang on.  Just think, without that case we would likely still have May as PM, the ERG and Boris sidelined and we would have been out fully (WA completed) way before now.  Funny old game is politics.

Paul Hanley once let on he's in his late forties - yet writes like a 69 year old who owns driving gloves (two pairs)

The Fall were shite an' all.

However your posts relating to The Whites are excellent.

People talk like liberalism is bad - I do alright, but I've gone hungry, been skint, lived on a shithole estate and been one of a handful who was working/studying in the neighbourhood - doing nights and then going to Salford first thing. Same applies to my then missus - schleping to Bury on public transport to field calls from tosspots. I'm not playing the fiddle - just trying to debunk the thought anyone 'liberal' hasn't lived against a grindstone, hasn't had a singular option of baked spud and beans for tea or nowt.

Being liberal (small L) isn't about 'sneering' it's about freedom for everyone (well not nonces, rapists et al - chuck them in an incinerator for all I care). Everyone who adheres to the social contract gets treated equally. How is that debatable?

You've a very strange outlook on life, Paul.

Like your input on the football thread though, you've posted some gold there.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

1 minute ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Paul Hanley once let on he's in his late forties - yet writes like a 69 year old who owns driving gloves (two pairs)

The Fall were shite an' all.

However your posts relating to The Whites are excellent.

People talk like liberalism is bad - I do alright, but I've gone hungry, been skint, lived on a shithole estate and been one of a handful who was working/studying in the neighbourhood - doing nights and then going to Salford first thing. Same applies to my then missus - schleping to Bury on public transport to field calls from tosspots. I'm not playing the fiddle - just trying to debunk the thought anyone 'liberal' hasn't lived against a grindstone, hasn't had a singular option of baked spud and beans for tea or nowt.

Being liberal (small L) isn't about 'sneering' it's about freedom for everyone (well not nonces, rapists et al - chuck them in a incinerator for all I care). How is that debatable?

You've a very strange outlook on life, Paul.

Like your input on the football thread though, you've posted some gold there.

Morning!

You might be using “liberal”, when you mean “libertarian”?

I expect Paul would be all for that (?)