Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, miamiwhite said:

As opposed to the corrupt and lying blue gravy train 🇪🇺 

Yep, so we left it to join a group of one. One that gives contracts to PPE suppliers who have never provided PPE in any situation, never mind a pandemic.

Apart from Sunak this is the worst Cabinet I have ever seen. How the fuck someone like Truss makes it to the front bench is beyond me. Remember Cameron? Fucking hell his front bench would tie Raab and Jenrick in knots. I am a floating voter,  how you can defend Boris's Government now? 

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

Yep, so we left it to join a group of one. One that gives contracts to PPE suppliers who have never provided PPE in any situation, never mind a pandemic.

Apart from Sunak this is the worst Cabinet I have ever seen. How the fuck someone like Truss makes it to the front bench is beyond me. Remember Cameron? Fucking hell his front bench would tie Raab and Jenrick in knots. I am a floating voter,  how you can defend Boris's Government now? 

Mounts says they’re shit.

But seems happy letting them deliver the single biggest change in 50 years, whilst demonstrating their “ability” in handling a pandemic.

When Orwell invented doublethink, he basically envisaged Mounts and went from there.

20 minutes ago, Spider said:

Mounts says they’re shit.

But seems happy letting them deliver the single biggest change in 50 years, whilst demonstrating their “ability” in handling a pandemic.

When Orwell invented doublethink, he basically envisaged Mounts and went from there.

How they handle a pandemic has no bearing on delivering a good Brexit deal , thankfully they’ve employed Frost who’s taking it to the EU and seems to be doing a great job. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

How they handle a pandemic has no bearing on delivering a good Brexit deal , thankfully they’ve employed Frost who’s taking it to the EU and seems to be doing a great job. 

Yippee

someone “seems” to be doing well 31 days before we leave

• Site Supporter
Just now, Mounts Kipper said:

It’s got to go to the wire, it’s the way EU operate, let’s call their bluff and some. 

I thought we were in control now?

Why are we still dancing to their tune?

Sounds to me like they hold too many cards if this is the case.

Regardless, it’s no fucking use to the people on the front line is it?

This could have been sorted years ago and you know it.

They’re taking the piss because we’re weak.

1 minute ago, Spider said:

I thought we were in control now?

Why are we still dancing to their tune?

Sounds to me like they hold too many cards if this is the case.

Regardless, it’s no fucking use to the people on the front line is it?

This could have been sorted years ago and you know it.

They’re taking the piss because we’re weak.

If you say so. 

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

If you say so. 

You act like it’s some million pound corporate deal that goes to the last minute

Its anything but.

It affects hundreds of millions of people.

It could and should have been sorted, not left until New Year’s Eve 2020.

I mean, imagine if something unthinkable like, oh I don’t know, a global pandemic came along at the wrong moment and threw a spanner in the works?

Not good preparation is it?

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Spider said:

You act like it’s some million pound corporate deal that goes to the last minute

Its anything but.

It affects hundreds of millions of people.

It could and should have been sorted, not left until New Year’s Eve 2020.

I mean, imagine if something unthinkable like, oh I don’t know, a global pandemic came along at the wrong moment and threw a spanner in the works?

Not good preparation is it?

In is what it is.

Duh?

5 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Tim Martin, the massive dick, had just been on LBC, talking about COVID and Brexit. With regards to Brexit, he pretty much reckons that anything other than us leaving with "no deal" and going WTO isn't for the benefit of the country.

I suppose we won't know until we see the deal? He could very well be right depending on what they agree.

If the whole rationale was to free ourselves from the shackles of the EU to make us more agile and competitive with the rest of the world, but then we sign an EU trade deal that compromises us in that regard then the whole thing will be utterly pointless.

As will the argument about sovereignty as we'll the be beholden to EU rules over which we no longer have any control. 

You know my views though. In my opinion, one of the many reasons there wasn't much point in the first place. We'll end up in a less favourable position any which way.

I agree, until we see what the deal is, we can't make a call on how good it is or isn't. Although the likes of Martin and Farage have already decided any deal that's agreed will be shit, as its obviously to their benefit to got WTO for what ever reason. I'll just be happy on 1st January when we know one way or the other and then we can just get on with it

Edited by Sweep

24 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I suppose we won't know until we see the deal? He could very well be right depending on what they agree.

If the whole rationale was to free ourselves from the shackles of the EU to make us more agile and competitive with the rest of the world, but then we sign an EU trade deal that compromises us in that regard then the whole thing will be utterly pointless.

As will the argument about sovereignty as we'll the be beholden to EU rules over which we no longer have any control. 

You know my views though. In my opinion, one of the many reasons there wasn't much point in the first place. We'll end up in a less favourable position any which way.

Sir, may I draw your attention to your opening sentence and closing sentence ?

You contradict yourself.

5 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Sir, may I draw your attention to your opening sentence and closing sentence ?

You contradict yourself.

I didn't mean to. I think either of the options will leave us in a less favourable position than we already had. 

But being tied into an EU trade deal which doesn't allow us the freedom to freely negotiate elsewhere is the worst of all options. 

The way my head works - the best outcomes would have been.

1) Stay as we were. If it ain't broke then don't fix it.

2) An EU trade deal that somehow means we maintain a competitive edge when striking deals with the rest of the world.

3) WTO no deal.

4) An EU trade deal that means we lose our competitive edge when striking deals with the rest of the world.

I can't see how we can realistically get number 2 - which would have been the only option whereby we might conceivably have been better off for leaving (although I live in hope that's what we manage to agree).

But if it's a choice between 3 or 4 - I'd take 3 all day long. Either if which will be shite.

However I am fully aware that I am just some bloke lay in bed, procrastinating over whether to go out for a run and not an expert in international trade :)

13 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I didn't mean to. I think either of the options will leave us in a less favourable position than we already had. 

But being tied into an EU trade deal which doesn't allow us the freedom to freely negotiate elsewhere is the worst of all options. 

The way my head works - the best outcomes would have been.

1) Stay as we were. If it ain't broke then don't fix it.

2) An EU trade deal that somehow means we maintain a competitive edge when striking deals with the rest of the world.

3) WTO no deal.

4) An EU trade deal that means we lose our competitive edge when striking deals with the rest of the world.

I can't see how we can realistically get number 2 - which would have been the only option whereby we might conceivably have been better off for leaving (although I live in hope that's what we manage to agree).

But if it's a choice between 3 or 4 - I'd take 3 all day long. Either if which will be shite.

However I am fully aware that I am just some bloke lay in bed, procrastinating over whether to go out for a run and not an expert in international trade :)

Going to point 1, it is broke, and they've admitted themselves that it needs to reform and to be more competitive. Folk seem to miss that point all the time.

9 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Going to point 1, it is broke, and they've admitted themselves that it needs to reform and to be more competitive. Folk seem to miss that point all the time.

It needs reform and it's broke are two different things.

Something as large and complicated as the EU will be in constant need of reform.

Didn't mean we had to throw the baby out with the bathwater. 

An EU with us as a leading partner was a force to be reckoned with. Without us - who knows where it will end up?