Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

2 minutes ago, kent_white said:

It needs reform and it's broke are two different things.

Something as large and complicated as the EU will be in constant need of reform.

Didn't mean we had to throw the baby out with the bathwater. 

An EU with us as a leading partner was a force to be reckoned with. Without us - who knows where it will end up?

On the scrapheap mate ...time will prove this.

Re reform, it obviously isn't functioning correctly as they openly admit, hence in need of repair, hence it's broken 💔 😉 😜 

Too many rules and regs take too much time between the member states, good old Goofy Guy recently admitted that. Other markets are leaving them in the past now.

Got to have Vision my friend and don't suffer from ennui 

So let’s assume a deal is done. Some will say it is good. Others will say it is shit. Some will say does not go far enough, others not far enough. 

So what do we see happening day 1. All over to new terms or a period of time to transition to new terms ? 

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Ani said:

So let’s assume a deal is done. Some will say it is good. Others will say it is shit. Some will say does not go far enough, others not far enough. 

So what do we see happening day 1. All over to new terms or a period of time to transition to new terms ? 

We’ve been in transition for a year.

January 1st is full steam ahead.

My prediction is a deal that sees us conceding loads to the EU but the Benidormers will claim it a victory.

Obviously those lorry parks in Kent are just for show....

2 minutes ago, Spider said:

My prediction is a deal that sees us conceding loads to the EU but the Benidormers will claim it a victory.

What I meant is let’s say we agree a new process for goods coming in. Surely there will be time needed to get paperwork / computers etc updated ? 

24 minutes ago, Spider said:

Drove past one of those signs yesterday, welcome to Kent, the toilet of England.

1 hour ago, Ani said:

What I meant is let’s say we agree a new process for goods coming in. Surely there will be time needed to get paperwork / computers etc updated ? 

Nope, apparently anything agreed takes immediate effect on 1st January

This year, 2020, is the transition year, which is used to get everything sorted and in place 😁

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Nope, apparently anything agreed takes immediate effect on 1st January

This year, 2020, is the transition year, which is used to get everything sorted and in place 😁

Wouldn't surprise me if a deal is agreed at the 11th hour, with a further 3 or 4 month extension to allow businesses to prepare, and get vaccination programmes underway across the continent. 

40 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Wouldn't surprise me if a deal is agreed at the 11th hour, with a further 3 or 4 month extension to allow businesses to prepare, and get vaccination programmes underway across the continent. 

Maybe, and it would make sense to do, and you'd think the EU would welcome us continuing to pay in for a few more months, although Boris has said, repeatedly, absolutely no way will there be any extension........

Edited by Sweep

• Site Supporter
Just now, Sweep said:

Maybe, and it would make sense to do, and you'd think the EU would welding us continuing to pay in for a few more months, although Boris has said, repeatedly, absolutely no way will there be any extension........

If Boris says no extension, he means no extension.

Until we need an extension.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Maybe, and it would make sense to do, and you'd think the EU would welcome us continuing to pay in for a few more months, although Boris has said, repeatedly, absolutely no way will there be any extension........

Quite right too.

However, once an agreement is reached, then the situation is different. 

If a brief extension allows all parties to finalise paperwork, publish impacts and requirements for business, and smooths things during a pandemic then it makes sense.

15 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Quite right too.

However, once an agreement is reached, then the situation is different. 

If a brief extension allows all parties to finalise paperwork, publish impacts and requirements for business, and smooths things during a pandemic then it makes sense.

I think Macron has got his eyes on the riots in Paris, nasty stuff going on there. Police getting a good seeing to, not good to see in such a beautiful city.

Didn't Barnier say he wasn't coming back for talks, but is back here now ?

• Site Supporter
25 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

I think Macron has got his eyes on the riots in Paris, nasty stuff going on there. Police getting a good seeing to, not good to see in such a beautiful city.

Didn't Barnier say he wasn't coming back for talks, but is back here now ?

Iirc, he served his isolation and was coming back this weekend.

Quelle surprise to see the frogs having a protest over something! :)

4 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

All European capitals are powder kegs, unfettered imigration to blame, the eu to blame and in years to come the finger of blame will be pointed directly at the European Union. 

Merkel already admitted as much after the failure in 2015. Paris isnt the City of Love at present mate.

Today is the 1st anniversary of the Fishmonger Hall attack. The parents of the lad killed, Jack Merritt, are now suing the government over his death. They were advocates at the time re giving convicted terrorists a chance, but something has clearly changed them, poor folk.

7 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

All European capitals are powder kegs, unfettered imigration to blame, the eu to blame and in years to come the finger of blame will be pointed directly at the European Union. 

Is immigration to blame? I ask as I’m not sure. I know it’s not been popular in Germany but they have form for that caper ha. 

If it is, will it be pointed at the EU as the Union only allows free movement of citizens doesn’t it?

While it doesn’t overly bother me I appreciate others feel stronger about it. 

7 minutes ago, tomski said:

Is immigration to blame? I ask as I’m not sure. I know it’s not been popular in Germany but they have form for that caper ha. 

If it is, will it be pointed at the EU as the Union only allows free movement of citizens doesn’t it?

While it doesn’t overly bother me I appreciate others feel stronger about it. 

Germany let in a million refugees. They now have freedom of movement. Just look at Paris it ain’t the indigenous French rioting.

https://qz.com/1076820/german-election-how-angela-merkel-took-in-one-million-refugees-and-avoided-a-populist-upset/

Edited by Mounts Kipper

1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Germany let in a million refugees. They now have freedom of movement. 

https://qz.com/1076820/german-election-how-angela-merkel-took-in-one-million-refugees-and-avoided-a-populist-upset/

I always assumed that was to combat their upcoming population crisis.

Agree the EU needs a reform but I’m struggling to see how being outside of that gets it right. I also understand it will be a long time before we know if it’s been right or wrong to move. Surely influencing within as a big player would of achieved more?

1 minute ago, tomski said:

I always assumed that was to combat their upcoming population crisis.

Agree the EU needs a reform but I’m struggling to see how being outside of that gets it right. I also understand it will be a long time before we know if it’s been right or wrong to move. Surely influencing within as a big player would of achieved more?

You can’t influence them enough, Germans & French run it, what they say goes, we’ve never really wholly bought into the eu, let them crack on and we do the same.