Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

1 minute ago, Escobarp said:

Yeah but some people are still clinging onto every single bit  of negativity they can. It’s in their dna. It’s these people who should have been thrown under the bus. Literally.  

I know. I see it a bit different, I think it's really positive news the fishing industry is being fucked over, it's great news, as it means that we got concessions elsewhere. It was always going to be give and take, we were never going to have our cake and eat it (as some tried to have us believe), so we had to sacrifice something. Much rather it was the fishing industry than say the Medical or Defence sector

Just now, Sweep said:

I know. I see it a bit different, I think it's really positive news the fishing industry is being fucked over, it's great news, as it means that we got concessions elsewhere. It was always going to be give and take, we were never going to have our cake and eat it (as some tried to have us believe), so we had to sacrifice something. Much rather it was the fishing industry than say the Medical or Defence sector

I looked at the deal from a selfish point of view and it means I’m ok. My employer will be ok. 
if I was involved in the fishing sector I would be pissed off. I’m not. Like you say as we got closer to the end date it was cleaner someone somewhere was going to be sacrificed (so to speak). 

thing is most of the people complaining about this have nowt to do with the fishing sector. It’s just noise 

26 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I think pretty much anybody with half a brain knew the fisherfolk were going to get sacrificed - it's not a massive issue really (for them yes, for the UK, not at all), the main thing is that we're still able, as far as I'm able to tell, allowed to continue to trade tariff free in industries that actually generate some money for the country

Same for NI really, everybody knew they were going to be fucked over, absolutely everybody, so now for people to claim they are surprised at what's happening is a bit odd

Yes and that is why Scottish independence was also going to be a by-product of brexit as well as a risk of troubles returning in NI.

Anyone with half a brain could see these things before. So I’ll ask again, was brexit worth breaking the UK up for? 

6 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

It hasn’t broken up. Fact 

This is true. 

However, the Northern Irish are operating under different rules than the rest of us.  The Scots who voted overwhelmingly to remain, are more pissed off than ever.  There's even a growing independence movement in Wales now.

Not broken up yet but significantly weaker imo.

2 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

This is true. 

However, the Northern Irish are operating under different rules than the rest of us.  The Scots who voted overwhelmingly to remain, are more pissed off than ever.  There's even a growing independence movement in Wales now.

If any of Wales, Northern Ireland or Scotland do leave the U.K. then they’ll soon find out what significantly weaker really means. 

6 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

This is true. 

A lot are yes but not all. 

mounts is correct though these countries will be much weaker out of the UK. As will England be tbf. But what will be will be. 

as long as we can retain the trading relationship we have then each country needs to decide its own future. 

6 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

If any of Wales, Northern Ireland or Scotland do leave the U.K. then they’ll soon find out what significantly weaker really means. 

Mounts is correct, England is the powerhouse in the UK, there is no doubt about that. Each of the other nations would struggle without their political attachment to England. England on the other hand would be fine if the UK split up and we end up "going alone" 

In this instance, Scotchland, Wales and NI really do need "us" more than we need "them"

I don't want them to break away, I like being part of the UK, but we'll just have to see what happens

By the way, we thought it was long winded and tricky to extract ourselves from the EU - that will look like a veritable picnic compared to one of the home nations trying to extract themselves from the UK, that really would take an absolute age

8 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Mounts is correct, England is the powerhouse in the UK, there is no doubt about that. Each of the other nations would struggle without their political attachment to England. England on the other hand would be fine if the UK split up and we end up "going alone" 

In this instance, Scotchland, Wales and NI really do need "us" more than we need "them"

I don't want them to break away, I like being part of the UK, but we'll just have to see what happens

If NI joined the republic it would be far better off IMO. There is no reason they would not prosper in a united Ireland. At the moment they are feeling like a halfway house which suits no one. It would be a painful process though.

1 minute ago, Farrelli said:

If NI joined the republic it would be far better off IMO. There is no reason they would not prosper in a united Ireland. At the moment they are feeling like a halfway house which suits no one. It would be a painful process though.

Of course it would be messy.  Pretty much half of Norn Iron folk see themselves as British as any of us on here, many probably more so.  So to ask them to effectively no longer be British is just not going to happen IMO.

Just now, DazBob said:

Of course it would be messy.  Pretty much half of Norn Iron folk see themselves as British as any of us on here, many probably more so.  So to ask them to effectively no longer be British is just not going to happen IMO.

Yes I get that.  The problem is that they are now operating differently to the rest of the UK regarding trading in the single market and with mainland UK.  They will feel more aligned to Dublin than London now.

1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Wasn’t mean to be helpful just truthful

It's not though. NI would be stronger as part of a united Ireland. Scotland would be ok on it's own, certainly not as wealthy as part of the UK, but governing themselves and making their own decisions.

5 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

Yes I get that.  The problem is that they are now operating differently to the rest of the UK regarding trading in the single market and with mainland UK.  They will feel more aligned to Dublin than London now.

Gove said they get to enjoy the best of both Worlds - surely they're happy with that 😀

Those involved in commercial fishing were overwhelmingly for Brexit and campaigned as such.

If there was any one group who were genuinely being fucked over by Brussels it was this sector.

It's not some two-bob industry either - just because we've become a nation of 'here comes the aeroplane' eaters, a land where boneless chicken has migrated from the kids' menu to the adults' at KFC, doesn't mean our fleets don't sell shitloads to our neighbours, bringing in lots of €.

Under the most difficult circumstances - physical, environmental and bureaucratic.

It's alreet though, because, Captain Birdseye's product excepted, we don't eat that rubbish, not here nor in our Spanish boltholes (whose markets are full of OUR seafood stuffs...)

Tell a trawler crew not to be negative nellies, you'd be sinking to the bottom of Davy Jones' Locker bound in an old net before you could say "ha ha har, ha ha har, ha ha har, mi laddie!"

Edited by Youri McAnespie

6 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Those involved in commercial fishing were overwhelmingly for Brexit and campaigned as such.

If there was any one group who were genuinely being fucked over by Brussels it was this sector.

It's not some two-bob industry either - just because we've become a nation of 'here comes the aeroplane' eaters, a land where boneless chicken has migrated from the kids' menu to the adults' at KFC, doesn't mean our fleets don't sell shitloads to our neighbours, bringing in lots of €.

Under the most difficult circumstances - physical, environmental and bureaucratic.

It's alreet though, because, Captain Birdseye's product excepted, we don't eat that rubbish, not here nor in our Spanish boltholes (whose markets are full of OUR seafood stuffs...)

Tell a trawler crew not to be negative nellies, you'd be sinking to the bottom of Davy Jones' Locker bound in an old net before you could say "ha ha har, ha ha har, ha ha har, mi laddie!"

What % of the economy comes from fishing ? 

Just now, Ani said:

What % of the economy comes from fishing ? 

It's fairly negligble.

It's an actual industry with product though.

Call me old fashioned but it always saddens me to see these industries get fucked.

Get fucked in favour of smoke and mirrors shite that would disappear in a puff of smoke if the shit ever really did hit the fan...

'WILL REARRANGE YOUR BEANS FOR FOOD!'

Just now, Youri McAnespie said:

It's fairly negligble.

It's an actual industry with product though.

Call me old fashioned but it always saddens me to see these industries get fucked.

Get fucked in favour of smoke and mirrors shite that would disappear in a puff of smoke if the shit ever really did hit the fan...

'WILL REARRANGE YOUR BEANS FOR FOOD!'

So in an ideal world we look after it  but in a world where we have to negotiate a trade deal, a world these guys you say voted for, something has to give.

Have they been hard done to by Brexit ? Possibly  but pre Brexit we did not fulfill our own quotas they were sold off to others