Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

15 hours ago, Jol_BWFC said:

I suspect you are after an argument / debate, which is pointless with you when the topic is Khan -  so I won't waste much time. He has done plenty of positive things for London, including pushing through the night tube service, lobbying for more funding for the city (e.g. the met police), freezing certain tube fares, promoting environmental matters in the city (oxford st for example); he took on Uber, he's been naming and shaming rogue landlords and I see he is also looking at rent controls. You may not agree with all of his policies and approaches (I don't) but he has the city's best interests at heart and is certainly a step up on the baffoon that was Boris and his water cannons.

My comment, though, was more about the salary the mayor gets. Whilst a tidy sum, it isn't much for one of the most high profile jobs in the country's capital, where he is tasked with managing a city with a population of more than 8million. The heads of the TUC and the RMT unions get paid more than him. As for wages in the private sector in London, whilst a bit of an extreme example, you can be a 25 year old having just finished a graduate scheme and be earning the same as the mayor.

Nice post Jol.

Spot on re the salary others get especially those heads of the TUC and RMT unions. Quite a bit of irony in their salaries isn’t there ?

What’s a baffoon though ?

Is it a musical instrument or similar to a buffoon ?

:D

5 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

How ironic.

1 for each percentage of the losing vote

:D

Get over it....you lost..

When May wins tonight - the last chance of a no deal or a harder Brexit also evaporates. 

However, I do think May winning tonight means that everybody loses. But the biggest losers are the hardline ERG Brexiteers who are at war with their own Tory party. 

Who on earth are you going to vote for in the next election?

Edited by bwfcfan5

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Beltin'

Will he send us the money we've already lost out of that? Do we need to apply or will he just raise a cheque?

5 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

When May wins tonight - the last chance of a no deal or a harder Brexit also evaporates. 

However, I do think May winning tonight means that everybody loses. But the biggest losers are the hardline ERG Brexiteers who are at war with their own Tory party. 

Why...who are you going to vote for ?

11 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Why...who are you going to vote for ?

Lib Dem. Easy. Only party supporting remain in a clear way. If Brexit has already happened by then and the Tories have changed leader and not lurched to the right I could vote Tory. Similarly if Labour ever sort themselves out and Brexit is done and dusted.

But on the assumption of a pre-Brexit election I'd vote Lib Dem. 

48 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

I think that your analysis is flawed.

If she wins, she might resign anyway

Time will tell, as Bob Marley said

• Site Supporter

she won't resign

no matter what you think of her, she's more stubborn than a week old skid on the back of the bog.

she wants a legacy, she wants to complete Brexit regardless of what it looks like.

She's gradually turning into that underdog that British people tend to support. 

Don't be too surprised if she comes out of it all with a peerage.

11 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Should May win tonight, would you be encouraging the ERG to split from the Tory party so that your Brexit view can be represented electorally? 

they should if they stand by there convictions and therefore start a new party, but I believe they will just crawl back under a rock and carry on throwing shit

• Site Supporter
50 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Massive EU-Japan trade deal approved today. Fabulous.

I'm led to believe that a UK delegation is currently in Tokyo offering them a large hamper of British delicacies, including pasties, red post boxes, M&S school uniforms and Beatrix Potter books.

The workforces of Swindon and Sunderland will be delighted about this. 

Here's the deal in brief...

The agreement will, in particular:

• eliminate duties on many cheeses such as Gouda and Cheddar (which currently are taxed at nearly 30%) as well as on wine exports (currently at 15% on average);
  • allow the EU to substantially increase its beef exports, and open additional opportunities for export of pork products;
  • ensure the protection in Japan of more than 200 Geographical Indications (GIs), high-quality European traditional food specialities, and the protection of a selection of Japanese GIs in the EU;
  • remove tariffs on industrial products in sectors where the EU is very competitive, such as cosmetics, chemicals, textiles and clothing;
  • commit Japan to international car standards, with the result that EU exports of cars to Japan is made significantly easier;
  • open services markets, in particular for financial services, e-commerce, telecommunications and transport;
  • guarantee EU companies access to the large procurement markets of 54 large Japanese cities; remove obstacles to procurement in the economically important railway sector.
Edited by Spider