Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

6 minutes ago, Spider said:

I'm led to believe that a UK delegation is currently in Tokyo offering them a large hamper of British delicacies, including pasties, red post boxes, M&S school uniforms and Beatrix Potter books.

The workforces of Swindon and Sunderland will be delighted about this. 

Here's the deal in brief...

The agreement will, in particular:

• eliminate duties on many cheeses such as Gouda and Cheddar (which currently are taxed at nearly 30%) as well as on wine exports (currently at 15% on average);
  • allow the EU to substantially increase its beef exports, and open additional opportunities for export of pork products;
  • ensure the protection in Japan of more than 200 Geographical Indications (GIs), high-quality European traditional food specialities, and the protection of a selection of Japanese GIs in the EU;
  • remove tariffs on industrial products in sectors where the EU is very competitive, such as cosmetics, chemicals, textiles and clothing;
  • commit Japan to international car standards, with the result that EU exports of cars to Japan is made significantly easier;
  • open services markets, in particular for financial services, e-commerce, telecommunications and transport;
  • guarantee EU companies access to the large procurement markets of 54 large Japanese cities; remove obstacles to procurement in the economically important railway sector.

A few on here would love to eliminate Cheese.

When Corbyn became Labour's leader most of the party's MPs were appalled by his 'unelectability'. When the GE came last year they expected to be hammered but almost won. In fact it was better than winning at such a difficult time.

The MPs who withdrew from his front bench team, plus those who refused or were never considered, now stand almost united, with 4 rebels and a slightly larger number of waverers.

There is no realistic chance of more defections to vote for May's deal than there are Conservative opponents in the ERG.

12 minutes ago, MalcolmW said:

When Corbyn became Labour's leader most of the party's MPs were appalled by his 'unelectability'. When the GE came last year they expected to be hammered but almost won. In fact it was better than winning at such a difficult time.

The MPs who withdrew from his front bench team, plus those who refused or were never considered, now stand almost united, with 4 rebels and a slightly larger number of waverers.

There is no realistic chance of more defections to vote for May's deal than there are Conservative opponents in the ERG.

There are about 20 odd Labour MPs who might rebel and support it, is my guess. About right?

how many of the ERG after their defeat tonight might fall in line behind her?

13 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

There are about 20 odd Labour MPs who might rebel and support it, is my guess. About right?

how many of the ERG after their defeat tonight might fall in line behind her?

Perhaps they just want to honour the result of the referendum

Just now, bwfcfan5 said:

Bet you she won’t. She has already told them she will leave before next election. But she will now stay on to deliver Brexit. No chance she goes before May unless parliament forces her. 

I agree, nowhere near as close as people thought it might be.

1 minute ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Bet you she won’t. She has already told them she will leave before next election. But she will now stay on to deliver Brexit. No chance she goes before May unless parliament forces her. 

Both of us can't be right!

1 hour ago, Spider said:

no surprise At the result.

she’ll ignore the 117 completely and carry on like it didn’t happen.

plucky underdog 

It was a bad result for her really. Over a third of her MPs said they have no confidence in her. That’s a huge number to get a deal past now. Worse than she was expecting.

She said she won’t fight the next election. I think she will try and carry on to deliver Brexit but if her deal is rejected then I think she will go. But not till then. 

• Site Supporter
24 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

It was a bad result for her really. Over a third of her MPs said they have no confidence in her. That’s a huge number to get a deal past now. Worse than she was expecting.

She said she won’t fight the next election. I think she will try and carry on to deliver Brexit but if her deal is rejected then I think she will go. But not till then. 

There won't be a chance for the deal to be rejected or accepted. The "meaningful vote" is dead and buried.

Edited by Cheese

• Moderators
7 hours ago, boltondiver said:

I think that your analysis is flawed.

If she wins, she might resign anyway

Time will tell, as Bob Marley said

Is that wanker green going to put himself up for a vote of confidence

Have the courage of your convictions, resign and stand as an independent, you self serving twat

And the rest of the shithouse who voted with the 48

They are even worse