Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Sweep said:

I know....

And presumably they could now, if they wanted to, just turn around and say "Bollocks, this is a really bad idea, let's just stay put" - I'm not saying they will, or they should, but my understanding is that they have the power just to ignore the referendum result if they felt it was going to "harm" the people and decide what they think is best for the country

That's what I've been saying- I'd have more respect if those that can't support the result at least say so instead of hiding.

As for wrecking the decision; that might just wreck their career long term.

What happens if we have a people’s vote and they decide to send us off the cliff edge with No Deal? Does that then get honoured as it’s the people’s vote? 

Fuck asking ‘the people’ anything again 

Let MP’s do their job, problem is I don’t think any deal will get a majority in Parliament as it’s such a fragmented argument 

Meanwhile the clock keeps ticking and we are falling off the cliff edge 

14 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Fuck asking ‘the people’ anything again 

Absolutely, it should never have been given to the people to decide  in the first place. I must admit, in over 40 years of life, I'm not sure I ever heard anybody say "I hate the EU, we shouldn't be in it" apart from Nigel Farage (oh, and of course the few who will come along now pretending they really were bothered about the EU pre referendum)

As I think Gonzo has pointed our several times, were things really so bad a few years ago, were we really being held back?

• Site Supporter

It wouldn't be so bad if hadn't just turned into everyone digging in and bellowing loudly that they were right all along.

Whatever happens, no-one will ever know what the right course of action could/should be. People will forever be able to claim their position was the correct one, so it will never be truthfully quantifiable in terms of a "result".

What it has done is made ace telly for the news channels. ISIS and Al Qaeda seem to have lost interest so this has saved the media's bacon.

I'm fast losing any real interest. I'm sure that'll change in January.

44 minutes ago, Spider said:

What it has done is made ace telly for the news channels. ISIS and Al Qaeda seem to have lost interest so this has saved the media's bacon.

I've argued before that ISIS 'won' the war in that they have driven a massive nail into the heart of the EU - and Western liberal democracy more broadly.

Remember the vote happened in the context of the Syrian refugee crisis and this idea that ISIS were pouring over the borders as part of the influx. It was muted on here many times - and certainly helped to tip the balance in what was a very tight vote.

We should have held firm and done the right thing. Instead we shit ourselves and closed ourselves off. 

There's some militants sat in a foxhole in the middle east thankful for our cowardice. 

• Site Supporter

I hope you're all taking the consequences of 'No Deal' a bit more seriously now. The arguments are over. We're actually putting ourselves into a War-like scenario for no reason. The Armed Forces are literally on stand-by to deal with unrest and distribution of resources. Military Reserves are being sent letters in January telling them they're going to be called up. The government have committed £2Bn to prepare for the immediate fallout. They're sending tens of thousands of letters to businesses warning them to prepare. Public Service Announcements are due to be broadcast. This isn't a conspiracy theory - it's actually happening. I wish I was exaggerating. 

Fucking madness.

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

The armed forces on stand by does seem well over the top. In reality if there are shortages what's going to happen?

We'll tut and roll our eyes, perhaps say "mustn't grumble" & then just carry on like we always do. No dramas

As a country, we've obviously been blessed for far too long. Far too confident because of our past, whilst ignoring the fact that the world has changed. It simply won't sink in that our lives are about to change. The Armed Forces are on standby for a very good reason. 

Edited by Cheese

10 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

The armed forces on stand by does seem well over the top. In reality if there are shortages what's going to happen?

We'll tut and roll our eyes, perhaps say "mustn't grumble" & then just carry on like we always do. No dramas

The armed forces are more likely to be on stand by for the violent left protesting like babies when we leave.

It’s all they’re good for (the left thugs not our fantastic armed forces)

• Members
15 hours ago, L/H White said:

mounts & miami are going to kick you out of their gang for this

Don't be in any doubt about where I stand on this. Only a no deal Brexit honours the democratic decision IMO. I have read, watched, listened to probably a million items on Brexit and the one who sums up my position best of all is a gentleman called Brendan O'Neill from Spiked Online.

Imbeciles who wanted to take no deal out of our negotiating hand from day one are just that - fucking imbeciles. It was/is our one trump card.

Get out without a deal, get the short term pain over with and the EU will be chasing us for some sort of deal in a few years time.

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

The armed forces are more likely to be on stand by for the violent left protesting like babies when we leave.

It’s all they’re good for (the left thugs not our fantastic armed forces)

You are well gone mate. Ridicule that cunt Juncker, and that other cunt Owen Jones (and I agree they are cunts) , and your favourite irrelevant target - Sadiq Khan - all you want. Political differences won't matter next year. 

Edited by Cheese

• Members
14 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Yes the EU is a scapegoat, but globalisation is not a means to an end, it’s not beyond question and it’s not isolationist to see it has left millions helpless.

Just as you should accept a deal because of bad leadership, by the same token neo-liberal globalisation should not just be agreed with because it’s ‘been let out of the bottle.’

A second referendum wouldn’t solve the real problems, just as Trump leaving office when he does won’t.

The rise of populism is not to be ‘fought’ but listened to, it’s only then that self interested right wing hatred is defeated, not by screaming louder.

There is much sense in this post.

31 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I hope you're all taking the consequences of 'No Deal' a bit more seriously now. The arguments are over. We're actually putting ourselves into a War-like scenario for no reason. The Armed Forces are literally on stand-by to deal with unrest and distribution of resources. Military Reserves are being sent letters in January telling them they're going to be called up. The government have committed £2Bn to prepare for the immediate fallout. They're sending tens of thousands of letters to businesses warning them to prepare. Public Service Announcements are due to be broadcast. This isn't a conspiracy theory - it's actually happening. I wish I was exaggerating. 

Fucking madness.

Did I really just read that? Seriously? Did a grown adult write that?

Reet. I'm off to Tesco tomorrow to stock up on Bovril and Cream Crackers. Batten down the hatches and get on the phone to my Mum to get her started on baking the emergency Apple Crumble

• Members
5 hours ago, kent_white said:

I've argued before that ISIS 'won' the war in that they have driven a massive nail into the heart of the EU - and Western liberal democracy more broadly.

Remember the vote happened in the context of the Syrian refugee crisis and this idea that ISIS were pouring over the borders as part of the influx. It was muted on here many times - and certainly helped to tip the balance in what was a very tight vote.

We should have held firm and done the right thing. Instead we shit ourselves and closed ourselves off. 

There's some militants sat in a foxhole in the middle east thankful for our cowardice. 

You're a grand lad and all that but I have read some drivel on here in the past and this gets close to winning the trophy.

The only cowardice we have shown is not anything to do with middle eastern militants in foxholes - it is our failure and unwillingness (brought about by well meaning but foolish souls) to eke them out in the UK and deport the fuckers.

My broadest smile this week was brought on by the reporting of the verdict on the Stansted Airport Activists (Google it if you don't know what I am on about).  Lock them up!

3 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Reet. I'm off to Tesco tomorrow to stock up on Bovril and Cream Crackers. Batten down the hatches and get on the phone to my Mum to get her started on baking the emergency Apple Crumble

Spot on mate...I’ll be stocking up on some tripe to remind me of that post next year.

2 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

You're a grand lad and all that but I have read some drivel on here in the past and this gets close to winning the trophy.

The only cowardice we have shown is not anything to do with middle eastern militants in foxholes - it is our failure and unwillingness (brought about by well meaning but foolish souls) to eke them out in the UK and deport the fuckers.

My broadest smile this week was brought on by the reporting of the verdict on the Stansted Airport Activists (Google it if you don't know what I am on about).  Lock them up!

Bingo re those Stansted 15 idiots.

• Members
2 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

See my earlier post referring to 'imbeciles' sir.

It may explain things to a degree.

We can use the army (and their wonderful Green Godesses) when the fire brigade go on strike but not for this? Some folk have rocks (or maybe mini La Vache Qui Rits) in their head.

8 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Think that’s debatable