Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

On 14/02/2019 at 10:20, Mounts Kipper said:

These are the same loons who in the Cold War built a bunker in their back garden for fear of a nuclear attack. And that flag in the kitchen what’s that all about? It’s just a europhille trying to make a political point. Bet he’s had a terrible 2 years since the referendum result. :) 

Aye 

The same loons who took pens with them to vote in the referendum as they believed an internet rumour that the Government was giving people pencils deliberately so they could rub out leave votes switching them to remain 

On 15/02/2019 at 06:45, gonzo said:

Said it before on here but in reality only 3 or 4 trade relationships really matter....

EU, USA, China and potentially Japan 

The rest are two bits of bugger all, even added together 

if our trade with the EU drops by 10% then we need to nearly double our trade with the US to make up for it 

The most important free trade deal to nail is the one with the EU, it will always be the most important one as they are so big and on our doorstep. China and USA would be nice but are we going to get better terms on our own or as part of a block? That remains to be seen I guess, one things for sure though Brexit won’t be seen to be a sucsess without one or both of them coming in 

(from a ‘being free to strike our own trade deals’ perspective anyway) 

• In 2017, UK exports to the EU were £274 billion (44% of all UK exports). UK imports from the EU were £341 billion (53% of all UK imports). The share of UK exports accounted for by the EU has fallen over time from 55% in 2006 to 43% in 2016, increasing slightly to 44% in 2017.

The 27 countries are now actively encouraging their businesses to buy from the EU (to Spider's point) irrespective of the kind of exit we have so the EU won't lose out, the UK will! To counter that the UK will have to source more from the UK but with a declining manufacturing base that will take decades to rebuild we will lose out. It is simple economics

12 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

The 27 countries are now actively encouraging their businesses to buy from the EU (to Spider's point) irrespective of the kind of exit we have so the EU won't lose out, the UK will! To counter that the UK will have to source more from the UK but with a declining manufacturing base that will take decades to rebuild we will lose out. It is simple economics

With simple solutions

Market-based solutions

Anyway, hopefully we'll start to see an end to "he said, she said" speculation from about 40 days time

2 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

Leader of the new party ?

I'll go for Chuka Amunna, he should have gone for the labour leadership last time.

Not sure there will be a new party immediately. I suspect they will be indies until something else happens. I think for any centrist movement to work it will take some fresh outside impetus beyond just jaded MPs jumping ship. But there might be some hope of grown ups being involved.

6 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Not sure there will be a new party immediately. I suspect they will be indies until something else happens. I think for any centrist movement to work it will take some fresh outside impetus beyond just jaded MPs jumping ship. But there might be some hope of grown ups being involved.

Yes probably that is how it will be short term.  I hope something worthwhile emerges because it needs to. 

2 minutes ago, deane koontz said:

Cheerful bunch these lot.

Would have been nice if they had outlined some actual principles rather than just using this as "we don't like Corbyn". We get that. But we could do with an alternative that outlines some positive alternative.