Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

2 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Deal or no deal, remoaners will remoan. So much is clear this last four years.

That’s not my point and you well know it. No deal is disastrous for our medium term economic future. No matter which was it’s dressed up. 

not that I think we are heading that way anyway 

3 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

That’s not my point and you well know it. No deal is disastrous for our medium term economic future. No matter which was it’s dressed up. 

I think we might need to go right to the brink of a no deal to get some sense out of the eu, that’s if Boris bottle holds. 

2 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Me neither. Our medium term future is only partly contingent on relationships with the EU though. Improved trading terms with many other places in the world is also important and the groundwork is being done on achieving that with results beginning to show. The Canada continuity announcement will be followed by a bespoke deal, talks with Australia are now advanced, New Zealand talks well down the line and other nations too. 

Just now, paulhanley said:

Me neither. Our medium term future is only partly contingent on relationships with the EU though. Improved trading terms with many other places in the world is also important and the groundwork is being done on achieving that with results beginning to show. The Canada continuity announcement will be followed by a bespoke deal, talks with Australia are now advanced, New Zealand talks well down the line and other nations too. 

You will note my use of medium term. If we go no deal the economic  shock will be severe. And not brief either. 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I think we might need to go right to the brink of a no deal to get some sense out of the eu, that’s if Boris bottle holds. 

Nah, not having it

Johnson is useless but youre not having him as the reason we end up with a shit deal

3 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

It’s why it was important it was left on the table. As well as having bottle he needs to have sense when to realise he’s obtained the best outcome and not push too far. That’s what a good negotiation is all about. 

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

What is our percentage in terms of the world's population....is it 1% ?

Yet, what is our standing in the world's strongest economy ?

We'll be fine, thank me later especially when the failing EU crumble as the rest of the world grows 

And we reached this lofty position whilst tethered to the EU.

By your reasoning, we should now move from 5th best (or 6th) up to at least 4th (or 5th)

Any downwards shift can only be seen as a result of Brexit.

Thank me now.

• Site Supporter
19 hours ago, Winchester White said:

Well, unless you are an experienced trade expert who believes the economic benefits of leaving are real and imminent then I stand by that.

I am not sure there is much if any evidence to the contrary?

I am however eternally hopeful because by Christ after this year we fucking need it!

No one was hoodwinked. Cases were made. We all accepted there may be an initial dip, but as to the future, then every opportunity. 

Thankfully the economic disaster that would follow immediately after an out vote was proven not to be true. Despite the best efforts of the hoodwanker of the exchequer. 

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, Spider said:

We all know a deal is coming 

But it’s all about the details.

Look at the Canada deal. Exactly the same as the eu deal. So no worse, no better - just erm, the same.

It no good saying “we got a deal” then finding out it’s worse than what we had before, which many suspect it will be.

Peace in our time.

I have a fax in my pocket.

You've just said its the same deal (which it is briefly) and the next sentence say it will be worse. Dear me.

Anyway, it is possible that the current arrangement is fine for both parties. However they have agreed to continue to work on a more specific arrangement for next year, so perhaps they envisage something even better.

The statement is there for us all to see, so why the contrary statement fro yourself- almost sounds like you want things to be worse.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

You've just said its the same deal (which it is briefly) and the next sentence say it will be worse. Dear me.

Anyway, it is possible that the current arrangement is fine for both parties. However they have agreed to continue to work on a more specific arrangement for next year, so perhaps they envisage something even better.

The statement is there for us all to see, so why the contrary statement fro yourself- almost sounds like you want things to be worse.

I was referring to the deal with the EU, the Canada deal is done now and is the same as before.

The EU deal is the key. Mounts saying we have one isn’t really telling us anything. The devil is in the details..

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Spider said:

I was referring to the deal with the EU, the Canada deal is done now and is the same as before.

The EU deal is the key. Mounts saying we have one isn’t really telling us anything. The devil is in the details..

Of course.

Should find out fairly soon.

28 minutes ago, Spider said:

And we reached this lofty position whilst tethered to the EU.

By your reasoning, we should now move from 5th best (or 6th) up to at least 4th (or 5th)

Any downwards shift can only be seen as a result of Brexit.

Thank me now.

So we never did anything before the EU ? Change your blinkers and put your specs back on Spider Lineker 😃 

16 minutes ago, Spider said:

Did you miss out a key part of what was said re that deal ?

Thank me now you blind bastsrd 😄 

7 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Of course.

Should find out fairly soon.

Doubt we will people on both sides will spin it as best/worst deal that sellsout/honours the referendum. 

Then we will spend the next few years blaming every bad bit of economic news on Brexit or the fact the deal was compromised or it would have happened anyway. With every good bit of news being claimed by Brexit or it would have been better with a stronger/weaker/no deal or it would have happened anyway. 

• Site Supporter
Just now, miamiwhite said:

And what about many years before that ? Not just the brief period before joining the trading bloc, when things were uncertain

I don’t see that as relevant.

Mainly because it isn’t.

The world has moved on since we had to build spitfires.

The point remains : we chose to leave to improve our situation.

And if we do, thank people like me who voted for it.

If we don’t, we can’t say we weren’t warned.

1 minute ago, Spider said:

I don’t see that as relevant.

Mainly because it isn’t.

The world has moved on since we had to build spitfires.

The point remains : we chose to leave to improve our situation.

And if we do, thank people like me who voted for it.

If we don’t, we can’t say we weren’t warned.

Yes, and the world has moved on now sunshine as proven in the figures where the EU is lagging behind. Do you really want to be a part of that plus part of a federal load of shite and EU army ?

Do you honestly think the EU is going to be a major player years down the line ? If so, why did you vote leave then ?

Thank me as always