Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

It’s quite ironic really that we had a leader who was seemingly determined to at worst stay entwined in the EU by hook or by crook and those who wanted to remain and those who wanted to use the process to further their own political ambitions (Corbyn as a prime example) have now forced upon themselves a change in the leadership of the governing party with every possibility that we will get a staunch brexiteer at the helm who will force us out with or without a deal with no way of stopping them.

never has the saying “hindsight is a wonderful thing” been more appropriate possibly than this whole mess.

its been a shambles since day one and it’s now going to get worse. And every single person who has sought to thwart this process needs to take a long hard look at themselves if we do leave now without any deal which won’t be great for us we all know that but we’ve had a chance to deliver something better and they have prevented it. 

11 minutes ago, Ani said:

I agree as a negotiating point. But how would you feel if that is the end position ? 

No deal won’t happen that’s always been my opinion, if it did it would not last long, again that’s my opinion. So I’m not phased or worried  if does get to that. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

5 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

It’s quite ironic really that we had a leader who was seemingly determined to at worst stay entwined in the EU by hook or by crook and those who wanted to remain and those who wanted to use the process to further their own political ambitions (Corbyn as a prime example) have now forced upon themselves a change in the leadership of the governing party with every possibility that we will get a staunch brexiteer at the helm who will force us out with or without a deal with no way of stopping them.

never has the saying “hindsight is a wonderful thing” been more appropriate possibly than this whole mess.

its been a shambles since day one and it’s now going to get worse. And every single person who has sought to thwart this process needs to take a long hard look at themselves if we do leave now without any deal which won’t be great for us we all know that but we’ve had a chance to deliver something better and they have prevented it. 

So if we leave without a deal it is the Remainers fault ? 

3 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

No deal won’t happen that’s always been my opinion, if it did it would not last long, again that’s my opinion. So I’m not phased or worried  if does get to that. 

What do you think are the key things needed to go from Mays deal to an acceptable deal ? Genuine question I have no idea. The Remainers want it softer. The Leavers harder ! 

6 minutes ago, Ani said:

What do you think are the key things needed to go from Mays deal to an acceptable deal ? Genuine question I have no idea. The Remainers want it softer. The Leavers harder ! 

it’s been well documented, the backstop and it having no end date is the key issue. 

If a Brexiteer leader gets to the job I’d hope  they’d look again at our ability to strike trade deals across the globe and how us being linked to EU law might prevent that. 

I hope a sensible compromise can be negotiated,  not too dissimilar to Mays WA. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

13 minutes ago, Ani said:

So if we leave without a deal it is the Remainers fault ? 

Did I say that?

im pretty sure I’ve said everyone who has sought to thwart this process which includes some of those who wanted to leave  

im simply saying we had a pm who wanted to find a backdoor way of staying in. People pushed against that and now we will it appears end up with a pm who takes us out at any cost 

the fact is we will be leaving and it has been those that want to stop that, which I don’t think is actually going to be possible, who have caused the damage to this process. They didn’t choose to leave so the fact we are leaving cannot be laid at their door, but the fact we may leave with no deal can very much be attributed in bucketloads to them

there has been too many people who are ill informed, who have carried great weight in making millions of people believe that Staying In was a feasible option, and it has whipped up a shit storm and we are now about to face the consequence

we should also have kept no deal on the table as many have said as a negotiating tactic. It’s far from funny but very ironic that it would now appear that is the one thing we took off the table that we may well end up with. Don’t you agree?

19 minutes ago, Ani said:

I think it will need to go a little harder. Woof woof. 

Candidates I could go with, if they ended up in the final 2;

Steve Baker

Esther McVey

Dominic Raab

Penny Mordaunt

Graham Brady

Boris (just)

Just now, Salford Trotter said:

It won't come to a No Deal as we will have a GE before then and the country will be stop it

A GE would be interesting. I’m not sure the country would stop it. Tonight’s results might be revealing?

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Candidates I could go with, if they ended up in the final 2;

Steve Baker

Esther McVey

Dominic Raab

Penny Mordaunt

Graham Brady

Boris (just)

That is a fucking depressing list. In fact, look across the entire house, where have all the heavyweight MPs gone?

3 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

A GE would be interesting. I’m not sure the country would stop it. Tonight’s results might be revealing?

It would and it would probably reflect the split in the country that has been evident for the last 3 years. I don't think one party will have a majority, consensus politics will prevail and possibly the revocation of A50. This revolution that PH oftens refers to will be the polarisation of political support and the rise of centre ground which will hold sway. One thing the EU result will tell us tonight is as TM often has said "nothing has changed" 

9 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

That is a fucking depressing list. In fact, look across the entire house, where have all the heavyweight MPs gone?

I hear what you say about “heavyweights “, but today’s heavyweights are stained by being in May’s Cabinet and, in my view, cannot get through.

I find that list inspiring, personally.

Other inspiring participants would include Priti Patel and John Redwood, who would be excellent additions to a Cabinet (even though Redwood was a little rude to me in a lift)

53 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Did I say that?

im pretty sure I’ve said everyone who has sought to thwart this process which includes some of those who wanted to leave  

im simply saying we had a pm who wanted to find a backdoor way of staying in. People pushed against that and now we will it appears end up with a pm who takes us out at any cost 

the fact is we will be leaving and it has been those that want to stop that, which I don’t think is actually going to be possible, who have caused the damage to this process. They didn’t choose to leave so the fact we are leaving cannot be laid at their door, but the fact we may leave with no deal can very much be attributed in bucketloads to them

there has been too many people who are ill informed, who have carried great weight in making millions of people believe that Staying In was a feasible option, and it has whipped up a shit storm and we are now about to face the consequence

we should also have kept no deal on the table as many have said as a negotiating tactic. It’s far from funny but very ironic that it would now appear that is the one thing we took off the table that we may well end up with. Don’t you agree?

So it is mainly the Remainers fault ? 

I agree that no deal is far from funny. There are so many people who should be ashamed of their role in this. I would start with Cameron and include Corbyn, Farage, Gove, Boris and May. Remainers and Leavers are not the problem. Politicians are. 

2 minutes ago, darwen_white said:

31st October we're due out and we don't even know who the PM will be 😂

Tick tock.

I can't see another election between now and then.

New PM by End July, then their summer holidays recess

Can't see them carving out 6 weeks for a campaign after that.

And...........we need to use whatever time there is to further/complete our WTO preparations.

8 minutes ago, darwen_white said:

31st October we're due out and we don't even know who the PM will be 😂

Tick tock.

There'll be a Vote of No Confidence before it gets to that and there are plenty of Conservative MPs that are prepared to fall on their swords to thwart No Deal and with the parliamentary arithmetic it won't take many. Hammond said as much on Marr this morning

Edited by Salford Trotter

7 minutes ago, darwen_white said:

So, in 5 months, there's going to be a new PM who'll face, and lose, a vote of no confidence?

Maybe we could squeeze in a second referendum in for good measure...

Just the former will do, do the maths. It requires just 4 Conservative MPs to vote against the government for them to lose

Edited by Salford Trotter

15 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

Just the former will do, do the maths. It requires just 4 Conservative MPs to vote against the government for them to lose

A few Labour MPs voting in support of the government would be interesting.