Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

20 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

It will stop us striking a free trade deal on those areas where our standards are below that of the EU, where is your problem? 

To be fair - I'm a remainer - and it did sound as if you were implying that if there was any drop in standards in what we import - then we wouldn't be able to export any foodstuffs to the EU. That's what I inferred anyway.

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, kent_white said:

To be fair - I'm a remainer - and it did sound as if you were implying that if there was any drop in standards in what we import - then we wouldn't be able to export any foodstuffs to the EU. That's what I inferred anyway.

Yep.

It's a no brainer that if we drop the standards of stuff we make that me can't then export it to the EU. Rightly so.

33 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Obviously there are US foodstuffs that we currently import and that won't be impacted because they meet the set criteria but the important bit here is 'free trade' as we want everything that our UK businesses currently produce for the EU to be freely sold in the EU without checks. I can't see how that can happen if we allow sub-standard goods into our supply chain and compromise the integrity

EDIT: this link might help understand the EU concerns around chlorinated poultry, it's not a food safety issue per se but about the manufacturing process

https://fullfact.org/europe/does-eu-say-its-safe-eat-chicken-rinsed-chlorine/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw4s7qBRCzARIsAImcAxY7SeZ7NUi-vSQdKpKfbfQ2sZkObEgqOcnK3IxIOAgXQb6NjivsVkMaAogdEALw_wcB

Edited by Salford Trotter
added link

48 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

The only person who said our our standards will be below those of the EU is you.

As usual making stuff up and twisting reality.

Try scrutinising your own point.

Plenty of nations around the world will have lower food standards than the EU. They still export there. Weird eh?

Or could it be that they have production standards on exported goods that are acceptable?

Yet more barrier erecting to defend a losing cause.

A very accurate critique of ST, discussing this topic with him in a rational manner is pointless. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

A very accurate critique of ST, discussing this topic with him in a rational manor is pointless. 

It seems pointless because you seem to miss the point he's making. Free trade as opposed to "not free trade" requires standardisation of regulations for stuff include within the free trade agreement. His point is that if we are importing lots of chlorinated chicken then poultry likely can't be included within a "free trade agreement" given the EU would be needing to do extensive checks on chicken from the UK to fully determine where the supply is from. Hence no longer "free trade". 

His point is perfectly valid and articulated well - it will make things more difficult for poultry exporters, especially those exporting to the EU. 

Are there ways exports can continue? Yes. Will it be more difficult and potentially more expensive? Yes. 

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

The only person who said our our standards will be below those of the EU is you.

As usual making stuff up and twisting reality.

Try scrutinising your own point.

Plenty of nations around the world will have lower food standards than the EU. They still export there. Weird eh?

Or could it be that they have production standards on exported goods that are acceptable?

Yet more barrier erecting to defend a losing cause.

Which countries are exporting into the EU that are breaching the EU food safety standards? Read the links I posted and you will see the EU has banned products that don't meet those standards

The EU continues to ban imports of chlorine-washed chicken from the US. After Brexit, there’s a debate over whether the UK should relax this on poultry imports from the US.

Edited by Salford Trotter

6 hours ago, kent_white said:

Lefty fight fight fight :D

I don’t know which handbag my money’s on.

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, Salford Trotter said:

Which countries are exporting into the EU that are breaching the EU food safety standards? Read the links I posted and you will see the EU has banned products that don't meet those standards

The EU continues to ban imports of chlorine-washed chicken from the US. After Brexit, there’s a debate over whether the UK should relax this on poultry imports from the US.

None. I didn't say there were, only that a farmer who I know well said there are loopholes. I also said I don't know if it was true, but used it to illustrate the point that nothing is failsafe.

In fact I said they shouldn't be allowed to import shite if the EU says not.

I know it's your birthday, but you seem to be a bit pissed.

Have a good one.

8 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

None. I didn't say there were, only that a farmer who I know well said there are loopholes. I also said I don't know if it was true, but used it to illustrate the point that nothing is failsafe.

In fact I said they shouldn't be allowed to import shite if the EU says not.

I know it's your birthday, but you seem to be a bit pissed.

Have a good one.

i will be a bit tipsy later...given that you are 7x more likely to get food poisoning in the US than the UK I would suggest the EU are 100% correct to keep the ban

How Does Food Poisoning In The US Compare To The UK? 

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, around 48 million people in the US are affected by foodborne illnesses each year – around 14.8% of the population.

While salmonella is estimated to cause 1.2 million illnesses annually, infecting approximately 0.37% of Americans, around 0.4% of the population get sick as a result of campylobacter, with 1.3 million cases estimated each year.

However, cases in the UK are much lower. According to government data, just 0.096% of the population were affected by campylobacter in 2017, with just under 64,000 cases estimated.

Meanwhile, instances of salmonella were even less frequent. Just 0.015% of UK citizens were infected in 2017, with 10,089 cases confirmed

44 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

i will be a bit tipsy later...given that you are 7x more likely to get food poisoning in the US than the UK I would suggest the EU are 100% correct to keep the ban

How Does Food Poisoning In The US Compare To The UK? 

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, around 48 million people in the US are affected by foodborne illnesses each year – around 14.8% of the population.

While salmonella is estimated to cause 1.2 million illnesses annually, infecting approximately 0.37% of Americans, around 0.4% of the population get sick as a result of campylobacter, with 1.3 million cases estimated each year.

However, cases in the UK are much lower. According to government data, just 0.096% of the population were affected by campylobacter in 2017, with just under 64,000 cases estimated.

Meanwhile, instances of salmonella were even less frequent. Just 0.015% of UK citizens were infected in 2017, with 10,089 cases confirmed

Well, that’s some data, here is another set, from the bbc;

study published in the UK in 2014commissioned by the government estimated that there were about 34,000 cases of salmonella from food per year or about 55 per 100,000 people, based on 2009 data. A US study published in 2011 - and using data from 2002-2008 - estimated that there were just over a million cases of salmonella each year - a rate of about 350 per 100,000 people.

For campylobacter, the UK study estimated 280,000 cases - about 450 cases per 100,000 people. The US study estimated 845,024 cases of campylobacter or about 300 cases per 100,000 people.

But it is hard to make comparisons between two different studies that use different methodologies. 

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Well, that’s some data, here is another set, from the bbc;

study published in the UK in 2014commissioned by the government estimated that there were about 34,000 cases of salmonella from food per year or about 55 per 100,000 people, based on 2009 data. A US study published in 2011 - and using data from 2002-2008 - estimated that there were just over a million cases of salmonella each year - a rate of about 350 per 100,000 people.

For campylobacter, the UK study estimated 280,000 cases - about 450 cases per 100,000 people. The US study estimated 845,024 cases of campylobacter or about 300 cases per 100,000 people.

But it is hard to make comparisons between two different studies that use different methodologies. 

That's the one I read- it was on Salford's link iirc.

If you want campylobacter, stick to British birds.

If you want salmonella, take a trip to the USA.

Kent- which disease is best?

3 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

That's the one I read- it was on Salford's link iirc.

If you want campylobacter, stick to British birds.

If you want salmonella, take a trip to the USA.

Kent- which disease is best?

The lefty disease is the biggest killer.

It starts slowly, but really eats you up from the inside.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

The lefty disease is the biggest killer.

It starts slowly, but really eats you up from the inside.

Aye. Though in fairness, he doesn't strike me as a lefty, just not a brexit supporter, which is fair enough.

What is concerning is that it may be highly contagious.:shok:😀

7 hours ago, bwfcfan5 said:

It seems pointless because you seem to miss the point he's making. Free trade as opposed to "not free trade" requires standardisation of regulations for stuff include within the free trade agreement. His point is that if we are importing lots of chlorinated chicken then poultry likely can't be included within a "free trade agreement" given the EU would be needing to do extensive checks on chicken from the UK to fully determine where the supply is from. Hence no longer "free trade". 

His point is perfectly valid and articulated well - it will make things more difficult for poultry exporters, especially those exporting to the EU. 

Are there ways exports can continue? Yes. Will it be more difficult and potentially more expensive? Yes. 

The point he made was if we import chlorinated chicken we wouldn’t be able to agree a trade deal with the EU, and he was wrong. Carry on.