Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

In the event of No Deal there will be further pain to be laid at UK business' doorsteps supplying Lidl's Irish stores with other retailers likely to follow suit. Having worked with Lidl as one of their suppliers I know how that might impact on the profit margins of smaller suppliers, many will simply not be able to afford to do so.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49389152?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics&link_location=live-reporting-story

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

In the event of No Deal there will be further pain to be laid at UK business' doorsteps supplying Lidl's Irish stores with other retailers likely to follow suit. Having worked with Lidl as one of their suppliers I know how that might impact on the profit margins of smaller suppliers, many will simply not be able to afford to do so.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49389152?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics&link_location=live-reporting-story

Given that we have been in the EU so long, I wonder how many businesses have such a clause?

Just now, Winchester White said:

Given that we have been in the EU so long, I wonder how many businesses have such a clause?

The likes of the Aldi and Lidl work on annual supply contracts so they renegotiate the terms based on market forces at the time and therefore their legal teams will be able to change terms in the likelihood of a No Deal brexit. If a supplier refused to sign the contract they would be removed from the supplier list and they would find a supplier who is prepared to agree to them. 

4 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

The likes of the Aldi and Lidl work on annual supply contracts so they renegotiate the terms based on market forces at the time and therefore their legal teams will be able to change terms in the likelihood of a No Deal brexit. If a supplier refused to sign the contract they would be removed from the supplier list and they would find a supplier who is prepared to agree to them. 

Any supplier who’s quoting them without pricing in the possible increase tariff after a no deal Brexit would deserve all they got.  

2 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

You clearly know nothing about food industry margins 🤣

I know enough about business and having quoted Aldi in the past to know that quoting for business without including any potential tariff increase would not happen in any prudent business. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

2 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I know enough about business and having quoted Aldi in the past to know that quoting for business without including any potential tariff increase would not happen in any prudent business. 

What market do you operate within? Like i said, you know nothing about the food industry and the low margins suppliers very often operate on because they are constantly being squeezed. Suppliers are left in impossible positions as if they build in contingency pricing then they risk losing the contract yet if they take the risk that there will be a deal and there isn't many will be forced to withdraw supply or make staff redundant to reduce costs.

6 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

What market do you operate within? Like i said, you know nothing about the food industry and the low margins suppliers very often operate on because they are constantly being squeezed. Suppliers are left in impossible positions as if they build in contingency pricing then they risk losing the contract yet if they take the risk that there will be a deal and there isn't many will be forced to withdraw supply or make staff redundant to reduce costs.

All Lidl and Aldi suppliers operate on low margins it goes with the territory but to quote for a 12 month contract while not including a possible tariff increase is stupidity. I’d ask for a clause to be inserted in case of no deal, if they say no then wouldn’t sign a contract. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

All Lidl and Aldi suppliers operate on low margins it goes with the territory but to quote for a 12 month contract while not including a possible tariff increase is stupidity. 

As I said this leaves UK suppliers in an impossible position but you are missing the central point though...No Deal will have serious repercussions on UK businesses particularly if the Gvt reduce tariffs for imports coming into the UK to avoid price increases for shoppers whilst there are tariffs imposed on UK exports making them uncompetitive. That is a 'no win' for all concerned

• Members
15 hours ago, boltondiver said:

Well, if we are talking history, then Maastricht was a game changer, when the “ever closer union” became ever more apparent 

As soon as they say 'far right' you may as well give up. Utter stupidity to label Nigel Farage as far right but, hysterical screechers will screech.

Edited by bolty58

• Members
10 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

All Lidl and Aldi suppliers operate on low margins it goes with the territory but to quote for a 12 month contract while not including a possible tariff increase is stupidity. I’d ask for a clause to be inserted in case of no deal, if they say no then wouldn’t sign a contract. 

There you go again with that pesky common sense.

I suppose you wouldn't give away our sole negotiating card of 'no deal' would you? Have you any business acumen whatsoever?

I am listening to ST and Bury boy in future. They'll soon have me paying 45 quid for a sandwich with their undisputed genius.

11 hours ago, Salford Trotter said:

Funny how I always miss the point when I call you out. Never mind. Still on holiday so I’m chilled. x

12 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

quoting for business without including any potential tariff increase would not happen in any prudent business. 

he's right, still I'm sure that some have quoted and will be hoping we'll get a deal, so they're not affected  - I must admit, I've gambled on a large chunk of business and am hoping that tariffs won;t be applied, if they are, and it causes us a problem, I'll just walk away from it

12 hours ago, Salford Trotter said:

As I said this leaves UK suppliers in an impossible position but you are missing the central point though...No Deal will have serious repercussions on UK businesses particularly if the Gvt reduce tariffs for imports coming into the UK to avoid price increases for shoppers whilst there are tariffs imposed on UK exports making them uncompetitive. That is a 'no win' for all concerned

We'll not get "no deal" though, Mounts has already told you it's "common knowledge" that he EU are going to re-negotiate with us  -  they might need to get a move on though.

Anyway, we'll soon ask for an extension, so we can kick any potential issues down the road for another couple of months

12 hours ago, Salford Trotter said:

You might want to read Owen Paterson in this mornings Telegraph, which might offer insight

29 minutes ago, Sweep said:

We'll not get "no deal" though, Mounts has already told you it's "common knowledge" that he EU are going to re-negotiate with us  -  they might need to get a move on though.

Anyway, we'll soon ask for an extension, so we can kick any potential issues down the road for another couple of months

Any extension won’t force the EUs hand that’s why Johnson must press ahead with leaving on the31st October, not sure where that leaves parliament who will be trying to stop it. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

24 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

not sure where that leaves parliament who will be trying to stop it. 

you know they will though, and the EU know this as well  -  our elected politicians really do have a lot to answer for

10 minutes ago, kent_white said:

If the middle aisle at Aldi is under threat then we need to avoid a no deal brexit at any cost.

Where else am I going to find a 5 piece ceramic frog garden ornament set and a hammock at Monday lunchtime?

Correct, I love popping in for a pint of milk and a loaf of bread and coming out with a wet-suit and a cow patterned fleecey throw