Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

14 hours ago, Salford Trotter said:

In the event of No Deal there will be further pain to be laid at UK business' doorsteps supplying Lidl's Irish stores with other retailers likely to follow suit. Having worked with Lidl as one of their suppliers I know how that might impact on the profit margins of smaller suppliers, many will simply not be able to afford to do so.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49389152?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics&link_location=live-reporting-story

I'm assuming then that this ensures that the cost of imported food to us will not increase, as the EU suppliers will have to stand the tariff increase, or are you saying that it will only apply to uk businesses, and LIDL (UK) will stand (and pass on) the tariff increases ?

9 minutes ago, ZiggyStardust said:

I'm assuming then that this ensures that the cost of imported food to us will not increase, as the EU suppliers will have to stand the tariff increase, or are you saying that it will only apply to uk businesses, and LIDL (UK) will stand (and pass on) the tariff increases ?

As you know Salford trotter only sees negative for us and positives for the EU. His position is a complete joke. 

47 minutes ago, ZiggyStardust said:

In the event of No Deal, Lidl will require that their UK suppliers to cover the cost of any tariffs that apply to shipping goods into their ROI distribution centres so that Lidl or their Irish shoppers don't have to foot the Bill. Suppliers based in the EU after Brexit won't be impacted as they won't have tariffs to pay shipping into another EU member state. From what i can see there will be 12.5% tarrifs on meat which in a low margin industry are just too steep for many smaller suppliers to absorb

As for imported food from the EU then I read that the Gvt may reduce tariffs for imports to zero so as to avert any inflationary pressure. That means we drop tariffs to every country in the world under the most favoured nation rule which will have a devastating impact on UK businesses yet we will be still subject to EU tariffs. If Gvt don't reduce tariffs then we will pay more for our imports hence inflation rises

Edited by Salford Trotter

14 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

In the event of No Deal, Lidl will require that their UK suppliers to cover the cost of any tariffs that apply to shipping goods into their ROI distribution centres so that Lidl or their Irish shoppers don't have to foot the Bill. Suppliers based in the EU after Brexit won't be impacted as they won't have tariffs to pay shipping into another EU member state. From what i can see there will be 12.5% tarrifs on meat which in a low margin industry are just too steep for many smaller suppliers to absorb

As for imported food from the EU then I read that the Gvt may reduce tariffs for imports to zero so as to avert any inflationary pressure. That means we drop tariffs to every country in the world under the most favoured nation rule which will have a devastating impact on UK businesses yet we will be still subject to EU tariffs. If Gvt don't reduce tariffs then we will pay more for our imports hence inflation rises

And the same point arises, wont LIDL (UK) have the same terms with their EU suppliers, as LIDL (EU) have with their UK suppliers?

ie. food import prices wont increase, as the EU suppliers will bear the brunt of the Tariffs.

You can't have it both ways you know.

We can decide what tariffs we reduce, we don’t have to reduce to zero tariffs on certain products so MFN won’t be in play. Every argument you try to twist it so that Brexit gives is worst of all worlds. Like I’ve said your continued project fear and continued looking for worst case scenario only for the U.K. is laughable. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

We can decide what tariffs we reduce, we don’t have to reduce to zero tariffs on certain products so MFN won’t be in play. Every argument you try to twist it so that Brexit gives is worst of all worlds. Like I’ve said your continued project fear and continued looking for worst case scenario only for the U.K. is laughable. 

Not if we want to trade elsewhere on WTO terms.

Edited by Cheese

1 hour ago, ZiggyStardust said:

And the same point arises, wont LIDL (UK) have the same terms with their EU suppliers, as LIDL (EU) have with their UK suppliers?

ie. food import prices wont increase, as the EU suppliers will bear the brunt of the Tariffs.

You can't have it both ways you know.

I can't answer the question with any confidence as I haven't worked with Lidl in mainland EU but I suspect Lidl will have ring fenced themselves with their whole supplier base. However the UK has reduced/removed tariffs 0n 87% of imports which is unlikely to be reciprocated the other way round so yet again UK suppliers are the ones that bear the brunt

25 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

We have to have the same terms for everyone that's why countries like Canada are indicating that they will hold off trade talks to see what the UK Gvt do on tariffs. Why would they negotiate terms when they could get tariff free access to our market? 

"Rather than agreeing to maintain the terms of its Ceta free trade agreement (FTA) with the EU, as he had hoped, he said Ottawa was looking to gain advantage from temporary tariff rates published by the UK government which would grant tariff-free access to 87 per cent of imports in the case of a no-deal Brexit without requiring similar arrangements for British exports."

41 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

87% of UK tariffs (currently 80%) will be reduced to zero if we go No Deal so we can be picked off by any WTO member but you knew that any way, didn't you?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45112872

1 minute ago, Escobarp said:

Temporary is the key word though no?

of course but how temporary is temporary? Many smaller businesses will be under severe financial pressure from day one and it does not take much of a disruption to force UK businesses out of business, they simply don't have the deep pockets the multinationals have. 

25 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Temporary is the key word though no?

it is, but is temporary a fortnight or 6 months or 5 years? - we really don't know, I still think leaving with no deal is too damaging for both us and the EU, and as such, I really don't think it will happen.

I agree whole heartedly it’s how long is a piece of string. But it was said more to show we simply don’t know so using these articles to prove doomsday is as incorrect as using stuff to prove its going to be all roses. 

I used to like this thread but it’s just so tedious now. Tit for tat bullshit basically. Time to call it a day to the main protagonists I reckon 

we can all find an article to give us an angle and then one to counter it. 

Nobody knows

i voted leave but dont want no deal  but Also don’t want democracy damaged by not leaving which it will be which is also very serious 

Edited by Escobarp

2 hours ago, miamiwhite said:

Sound familiar ?

Remind you of a few folk :D

This says fairly similar things. But it'll be dismissed by the liberals because Daniel Hannan isn't a liberal and is in that barbaric part of the human race that does not share their narrow PC world view. 

Very interesting read. Sums up liberal hypocrisy very well.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/how-the-woke-devour-their-own